AU vs FL Game 2

IMO, it really depends on how O'Neal was looking. If his stuff was still sharp, I have no problem with leaving him in. After the tie, we go to the pen and walk the first batter on a full count pitch. O'Neal had just reached the 100 pitch count. What hurt was an E that cost us a run and the lead-off hit batter in the ninth. It's little things like that that will cost you wins. Like I said though, our guys battled their rears off tonight. Just a heart breaking loss.

If you ask 100 college baseball coaches what to do once your starter has a runner on, at 100 pitches, in the ninth inning, 99 of the would say, "Bring in your closer." It's just unfortunate for AU tonight that the one holdout was calling the shots for this game.

That's BS. If we had Dennis Eckersley or Mo Rivera it would be one thing. This is not football where on third and two we run this. Good coaches/managers don't have a "book". They go by feel and their gut. Our pen gave up a first batter walk btw.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, it really depends on how O'Neal was looking. If his stuff was still sharp, I have no problem with leaving him in. After the tie, we go to the pen and walk the first batter on a full count pitch. O'Neal had just reached the 100 pitch count. What hurt was an E that cost us a run and the lead-off hit batter in the ninth. It's little things like that that will cost you wins. Like I said though, our guys battled their rears off tonight. Just a heart breaking loss.

If you ask 100 college baseball coaches what to do once your starter has a runner on, at 100 pitches, in the ninth inning, 99 of the would say, "Bring in your closer." It's just unfortunate for AU tonight that the one holdout was calling the shots for this game.

This is the fifth season that we've been watching similar decisions. I stopped being surprised long ago.

That's BS. If we had Dennis Eckersley or Mo Rivera it would be one thing. This is not football where on third and two we run this. Good coaches/managers don't have a "book". They go by feel and their gut. Our pen gave up a first batter walk btw.

Under completely different circumstances. Bringing in the pen with a 3-1 lead is mentally different that a game that was just tied up by a 3 run bomb.

This is the fifth season that we've been watching similar decisions. I stopped being surprised long ago.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

Ah yes...the second-guessers are out in force...big surprise.

Maybe I missed the comment but I take it that everyone remembers that AU has played 7 tough games in about 10 days and used quite a few pitchers along the way. Seems to me that perhaps even after 100 pitches (and only needing one more out) that O'Neal was probably the best option available. This isn't the bigs where a team has 14 reasonably good pitchers on the staff and if there is an injury or something, they just make a phone call and a fresh arm shows up on the next flight. Even when the game was tied and JP pulled MO, there was not a strong pitcher ready to come in. Basically it was O'Neal and ????

You folks can get on JP about the decision but if it were you sitting there looking out a a bullpen of freshmen and guys with big ERAs I bet you make the same call. And of course if he had pulled MO with a couple guys on base and a 4-1 lead in favor of someone who immediately tossed a wild pitch or walked the next two batters everyone would be questioning.....why pull a guy who was cruising along?

Crack on JP if you want, but at least know enough about the whole picture when doing it....and get off this "common sense" jag...it ain't working.

You can't be faulted for doing the right thing, pulling a pitcher in the ninth. You can't say he didn't have relief because he did and finally used it. If it's the seventh or 8th even, leaving him in makes more sense.

Actually, if JP pulls O'Neil when he should have (the first batter reaching or at least after the hit) then most would chalk it up to a poor bullpen performance. It still would have been a bad loss, but it would have been the right move. But you are probably right in that someone would have blamed JP if that happened, however I think most people who watch baseball a lot would say that person was wrong.

Camp, Koger or Gill. Who besides Dedrick wasn't available? At some point before the ninth the possiblity of burning his Sunday starter had to run through his mind. The saying "a bird in hand is better than two in the bush" comes immediately to mind. When Austin hit the homer in the top half of the ninth, I gotta' believe everybody in the visitors dugout said we got this one. O'Neal was cruising until he hit Turgeon leading off the bottom of the ninth, at that point all bets should have been off. I heard Pawlowski talk about not executing in the ninth inferring that O'Neal made a mistake. That's crap, he hung his pitcher out to dry.

Maybe I missed the comment but I take it that everyone remembers that AU has played 7 tough games in about 10 days and used quite a few pitchers along the way. Seems to me that perhaps even after 100 pitches (and only needing one more out) that O'Neal was probably the best option available. This isn't the bigs where a team has 14 reasonably good pitchers on the staff and if there is an injury or something, they just make a phone call and a fresh arm shows up on the next flight. Even when the game was tied and JP pulled MO, there was not a strong pitcher ready to come in. Basically it was O'Neal and ????

You folks can get on JP about the decision but if it were you sitting there looking out a a bullpen of freshmen and guys with big ERAs I bet you make the same call. And of course if he had pulled MO with a couple guys on base and a 4-1 lead in favor of someone who immediately tossed a wild pitch or walked the next two batters everyone would be questioning.....why pull a guy who was cruising along?

Crack on JP if you want, but at least know enough about the whole picture when doing it....and get off this "common sense" jag...it ain't working.

If there isn't enough depth, whose fault is that? All we're seeing here is a discussion about one game, but it's a reflection of the past five years. There's always an excuse, the last refuge of the excuse makers being "that's baseball". "That's baseball" works for one game, even one series. It does not work for five seasons of failure to accomplish anything.

Pawloski, for whatever reasons, cannot field an SEC contender at Auburn. We need to find a new coach that can take advantage of Auburn's strengths as a school and athletic program and make our baseball team a consistent challenger for the top. What we have right now is a program that's an easy pre-season pick to finish last in the SEC West and the pickers are usually correct.

This was a bad game to lose. Hopefully it will not affect today's performance but I could see where it guts a team. Both teams have flipped emotionally.

As to the coaching, yes this is not professional baseball and there are personnel limitations, but the number one thing a coach and his staff are looking at is the pitcher and his performance. Yes the pitcher was going for a complete game and probably telling coach P he was fine, but Paw should have let him know if one man gets on you are done.

It certainly looks like the decision was to go with him no matter what.

I am not a Paw fan and this falls on the side of more poor game management.

If there isn't enough depth, whose fault is that? All we're seeing here is a discussion about one game, but it's a reflection of the past five years. There's always an excuse, the last refuge of the excuse makers being "that's baseball". "That's baseball" works for one game, even one series. It does not work for five seasons of failure to accomplish anything.

Pawloski, for whatever reasons, cannot field an SEC contender at Auburn. We need to find a new coach that can take advantage of Auburn's strengths as a school and athletic program and make our baseball team a consistent challenger for the top. What we have right now is a program that's an easy pre-season pick to finish last in the SEC West and the pickers are usually correct.

Spot on ! This is just a continuation of what we have been getting under Coach P. Every HC at Auburn will be challenged with our scholarship limitations and that needs to be taken into consideration when the next HC is chosen. We need a proven winner or we will be making a change for the sake of change.

War Eagle !

This was a bad game to lose. Hopefully it will not affect today's performance but I could see where it guts a team. Both teams have flipped emotionally.

As to the coaching, yes this is not professional baseball and there are personnel limitations, but the number one thing a coach and his staff are looking at is the pitcher and his performance. Yes the pitcher was going for a complete game and probably telling coach P he was fine, but Paw should have let him know if one man gets on you are done.

Obviously it's apparently gutted a bunch of fans. I still contend that ONeal was still the best pitcher JP had available...look who came in to hold the game when it was tied....and just needed to get out of the inning with a clean slate...who ..immediately walked a batter and gave up the game winning hit. No one has made any case at all that any other pitcher on the staff would have done better than ONeal. ONeal was one out away from winning the game and you are going to bring in ???? Name a name that had a better chance of ending the game....a pitcher that you would bring in with two men on and the tieing run at the plate? Look at the records and pick someone. But check the records of each, see when they pitched last, their performance in the clutch, etc. Pretty easy to say " I would have changed pitchers" now....with perfect assurance that your choice would have worked gotten the save. I don't buy it for a minute. And then go back and complain about pitching staff depth or whatever....what crap. JMO

Obviously it's apparently gutted a bunch of fans. I still contend that ONeal was still the best pitcher JP had available...look who came in to hold the game when it was tied....and just needed to get out of the inning with a clean slate...who ..immediately walked a batter and gave up the game winning hit. No one has made any case at all that any other pitcher on the staff would have done better than ONeal. ONeal was one out away from winning the game and you are going to bring in ???? Name a name that had a better chance of ending the game....a pitcher that you would bring in with two men on and the tieing run at the plate? Look at the records and pick someone. But check the records of each, see when they pitched last, their performance in the clutch, etc. Pretty easy to say " I would have changed pitchers" now....with perfect assurance that your choice would have worked gotten the save. I don't buy it for a minute. And then go back and complain about pitching staff depth or whatever....what crap. JMO

That one tickled me also.

Great Post!!!! It is crap. And it's tiresome.

Trey Cochran gill

Well if depth on the pitching staff is crap, why was AU64 the first one in this thread to mention lack of depth on the pitching staff as a problem? And if lack of depth is a problem and this is the head coach's fifth season here, whose fault is said lack of depth?

I'll tell you what's tiresome, that's people endlessly making excuses for the inexcusable.

Well if depth on the pitching staff is crap, why was AU64 the first one in this thread to mention lack of depth on the pitching staff as a problem? And if lack of depth is a problem and this is the head coach's fifth season here, whose fault is said lack of depth?

I'll tell you what's tiresome, that's people endlessly making excuses for the inexcusable.

Oneal was doing an excellent job getting ground ball outs all night. He hadn't given up a home run all year and he can surely pitch over 100 pitches if necessary. He has always been consistent in his ability to pitch like he has all season and previous seasons as well. With 2 outs in the ninth, there is no doubt that he should be the guy in there. Tobias got a pitch to hit and he did. Done, that's baseball. As a parent if that's my kid pitching a great game with just 1 out needed to get an SEC complete game, I would want him to let him go for it. As a coach, the percentages are in your favor that a homerun wasn't as likely as an out. As a fan , you can't say that it wouldn't have happened to the next guy either. I don't post much, and I can say that this will likely be the only season I get to view this forum. But I will say that what is truly tiresome is reading Mikey's pathetic opinions. Dude you need to find a friend or a hobby.

Oneal was doing an excellent job getting ground ball outs all night. He hadn't given up a home run all year and he can surely pitch over 100 pitches if necessary. He has always been consistent in his ability to pitch like he has all season and previous seasons as well. With 2 outs in the ninth, there is no doubt that he should be the guy in there. Tobias got a pitch to hit and he did. Done, that's baseball. As a parent if that's my kid pitching a great game with just 1 out needed to get an SEC complete game, I would want him to let him go for it. As a coach, the percentages are in your favor that a homerun wasn't as likely as an out. As a fan , you can't say that it wouldn't have happened to the next guy either. I don't post much, and I can say that this will likely be the only season I get to view this forum. But I will say that what is truly tiresome is reading Mikey's pathetic opinions. Dude you need to find a friend or a hobby.

I have excellent hobbies that I find very pleasing. One of them is baseball, an association I've enjoyed in one capacity or another for over 30 years. The other is Auburn sports. Isn't it cool how they converge on this forum?

Trey Cochran gill

That's a good name...but interesting that TCG was not selected to pitch even after MO was knocked out when the game was still on the line ...and the next day he was not among the 3 pitchers who faced UF in the Sunday game that was tight all the way. JP charts every pitch thrown by every pitcher and knows their history in every circumstance, their tendencies, etc. etc. He is known for his reliance on performance statistics. He has way more information about his players than we do. TCG pitched earlier in the week but not against UF .....so there is a very good chance that JP knew something about his availability / history that we don't know? :dunno: Just sayin' ....

Trey Cochran gill

That's a good name...but interesting that TCG was not selected to pitch even after MO was knocked out when the game was still on the line ...and the next day he was not among the 3 pitchers who faced UF in the Sunday game that was tight all the way. JP charts every pitch thrown by every pitcher and knows their history in every circumstance, their tendencies, etc. etc. He is known for his reliance on performance statistics. He has way more information about his players than we do. TCG pitched earlier in the week but not against UF .....so there is a very good chance that JP knew something about his availability / history that we don't know? :dunno: Just sayin' ....

All true but you asked for a name of a solid kid we coulda gone too in that situation and I gave you one. I believe Dedrick was unavailable because of the length he was out there Friday night. He had Gill and Carter both warming up and decided to go Carter for some reason. After the first runner got on base I thought he shoulda gone to the pen to get Gill. I have no problem with a coach having faith in their starter but it is almost an unwritten rule in baseball that when your starter gets one or two guys on base in the 9th you go to the pen.

Anyway the win Sunday lessens the sting from this game. I am still firmly in the fire Coach P camp but I would love nothing more than us to finish strong and sneak into the tourney. If Coach P can get us in I will gladly eat crow and give him another year

Trey Cochran gill

All true but you asked for a name of a solid kid we coulda gone too in that situation and I gave you one. I believe Dedrick was unavailable because of the length he was out there Friday night. He had Gill and Carter both warming up and decided to go Carter for some reason. After the first runner got on base I thought he shoulda gone to the pen to get Gill. I have no problem with a coach having faith in their starter but it is almost an unwritten rule in baseball that when your starter gets one or two guys on base in the 9th you go to the pen.

Anyway the win Sunday lessens the sting from this game. I am still firmly in the fire Coach P camp but I would love nothing more than us to finish strong and sneak into the tourney. If Coach P can get us in I will gladly eat crow and give him another year

I understand and it's not really my intent to defend the JOB coach JP has done but I do object to is seeing lots of commentary picking apart individual decisions when the "picker" does not have the same facts that the coach has. For example....did he get word from the bullpen that Gill was having control problems while warming up (check his stats) ....shoot I sure don't know but he probably didn't just flip a coin to make the decision. I'm a sports junkie and all the time I see coaches leave QBs in a game when they can't hit the side of a barn with their passes game after game (not to name names) or see a coach leave a PG in the game when he is running wild and creating turnovers and failing to run the offense. No doubt, sooner or later that will catch up with a coach but it's pretty rare on other sports boards here that the next day, half a dozen people are wanting to fire the coach over one or two decisions. IMO the season will be what it is....looking at it en-total some folks will decide if the team under-performed and where the coach fits into the picture and if progress is being made. Again IMO the LSU and Vandy games at the start were bad Karma and it took some time for the team to get over them...and some of the newer players had to learn what SEC baseball is all about. If the PTB fire JP, that's their call...but I think it will send us back to where we were when he came here. It's not like he arrived after a string of successful seasons and let a dynasty slip away. So I'm far from confident that someone like Dunn is going to make any difference....other than probably starting from scratch with a bunch of new players who have never played SEC ball. So at this point I don't see what's to gain when things seem to be improving...even if slowly? :-\

Trey Cochran gill

I understand and it's not really my intent to defend the JOB coach JP has done but I do object to is seeing lots of commentary picking apart individual decisions when the "picker" does not have the same facts that the coach has. For example....did he get word from the bullpen that Gill was having control problems while warming up (check his stats) ....shoot I sure don't know but he probably didn't just flip a coin to make the decision. I'm a sports junkie and all the time I see coaches leave QBs in a game when they can't hit the side of a barn with their passes game after game (not to name names) or see a coach leave a PG in the game when he is running wild and creating turnovers and failing to run the offense. No doubt, sooner or later that will catch up with a coach but it's pretty rare on other sports boards here that the next day, half a dozen people are wanting to fire the coach over one or two decisions. IMO the season will be what it is....looking at it en-total some folks will decide if the team under-performed and where the coach fits into the picture and if progress is being made. Again IMO the LSU and Vandy games at the start were bad Karma and it took some time for the team to get over them...and some of the newer players had to learn what SEC baseball is all about. If the PTB fire JP, that's their call...but I think it will send us back to where we were when he came here. It's not like he arrived after a string of successful seasons and let a dynasty slip away. So I'm far from confident that someone like Dunn is going to make any difference....other than probably starting from scratch with a bunch of new players who have never played SEC ball. So at this point I don't see what's to gain when things seem to be improving...even if slowly? :-\

I guess this is where we differ. I don't really feel like as a program we have been improving. I will be honest in saying I am not sure who I would like them to go after if Coach P was let go but I do know that I am not thrilled with where the program is right now under him. After the next 2 weekends I think we will have a better picture of where Coach P stands job status wise. I am hoping for a big series win this weekend and for us to make some noise in Hoover. If that happens then it is a no brainer we bring Coach P back. If we get swept this upcoming weekend and get bounced quickly in Hoover then I maybe it is time to move on.

War Eagle

Trey Cochran gill

I guess this is where we differ. I don't really feel like as a program we have been improving. I will be honest in saying I am not sure who I would like them to go after if Coach P was let go but I do know that I am not thrilled with where the program is right now under him. After the next 2 weekends I think we will have a better picture of where Coach P stands job status wise. I am hoping for a big series win this weekend and for us to make some noise in Hoover. If that happens then it is a no brainer we bring Coach P back. If we get swept this upcoming weekend and get bounced quickly in Hoover then I maybe it is time to move on.

War Eagle

Can't disagree much with your premise....though I still think the immediate downside of a coaching change is an issue. I sense this ground swell for CD and personally I just can't see it.

Archived