Ten Year Anniversary of the Passing of Jim Fyffe

jared52

WarBlogle reminded me today that Jim Fyffe passed away ten years ago today. Hard to believe it's been that long. He's put in a few of his favorite calls here in this post: http://www.warblogle...favorite-calls/

My favorite is not on there, "Tillman, Tillman, Tillman!" which is the call that hooked me on Auburn football. I'm going to look around and see if I can find that. If I can, I'll edit this post. If you have other memorable Jim Fyffe moments, post them here.

One other favorite moment of mine was before the 1996 AU-Tenn basketball game. We know Jim hate UT and when the came out on the court for their warmups, Jim turned to me and my roommate sitting on the first row of the student section and said, "It's that just the ugliest shade of orange you've ever seen?" Yes it was, Mr. Fyffe, yes it was.

EDIT:

You can find a lot of great Jim Fyffe calls here:

http://www.auburntigers.com/genrel/051513aab.html

I've got a CD with Jim's greatest calls. One of my favorites was the 1997 Iron Bowl kick by Jarret Holmes...."It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! It's good!! ......" That was the first on only time for me at the IB in JHS.

Another was the James Bostic run against UAT in 1993. That season, you HAD to listen to the radio broadcasts since we were on probation...no TV

I sure do miss ole Jim as well. In my house we would always turn down the volume on the television and listen to Jim and Charlie (later Stan) call it over the radio. I think the 93 season was definitely one of his best. With no games on t.v. that year he could paint a picture over the radio that made it seem almost like you were there.

I too sure miss hearing Jim and his play calling. Wonder what he would sounded like after Wes kicked that winning FG against Oregon as we won the National Championship.

I too sure miss hearing Jim and his play calling. Wonder what he would sounded like after Wes kicked that winning FG against Oregon as we won the National Championship.

I thought this same thought that night. Just how great it would have been for Jim to make the call when we won the National Championship game.

I actually could have sworn it was 11 years, though I didn't remember the date, because I thought it was just as I was graduating from high school...hmm. Interesting.

And as for Jim's call of the national championship, I feel sure they have voice recorders in heaven. I can just imagine him shaking Shug's hand after that kick, with the Big Man smiling in the background...

Died May 14, 2003.

Oh I wasn't doubting you, I was just saying.

Yeah, I know. I didn't mean to come across as haughty as that. I started to post the link to the wiki. Heck, I saw 2003, and thought that was 11 years ago myself.

I have listened to sports all over the world and IMO, Jim is the #1 best play by play announcer ever!!

To include Mel Allen, Red Barber etc... Jim was the best!!

My grandfather was blind the last ten years of his life, but he got to see the games through Jim's eyes every week. I'll always be thankful for that. We miss you Jim.

@ScrogginsNoggin posted a lot of the best calls of Jim Fyffe yesterday. Scroll through his Twitter feed (you don't have to have a Twitter account to do so) and go back to yesterday and you'll see over 20 or so clips, Including my favorite:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1394144-tillman-tillman-tillman

I wish we had some of his basketball calls. I still remember I think 93 Auburn went to the old Barnhill Arena and just put it on Arkansas. I can still here Fyffe-the last play of the half was an ally oop to Aaron Swinson to put AU up 15. HELLO Brunswick Georgia!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a few listed in that link I edited in at the bottom of the first post. Chris Porters monster put-back slam, Bryant Smith's unbelievable half court, behind-the-back ally oop verses Ole Miss, AU's huge win over #1 UK in 88(?) at Rupp arena and a couple more.

He was the absolute best. I like Rod the bod, but there is no one like JF. I also like it that we have (2) all timers in JF and Rod and bama is still stuck with Eli (what exactly is happening on this play?) Gold. Did anyone ever hear his radio show? When I heard his show for the first time, I tried to jerk the wheel into a damn bridge embankment.

Archived