Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He committed during his junior years.... I don't know what the pitch to him was and sitting three years with little playing time and then possibility of Hurts...?     As noted...has his degree  

Little of that is related to the Baker post I made or that part you made before my post. Baker enrolled at OU a full 15 months before AK even committed to OU. Murray could be a viable reason for frustration but Mayfield shouldn't be.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am a simple dude. I see a Nick Marshall reference and I hit the like button!!!! lol

Hah! He really is so country though. Rural south Georgia baby. It's Mississippi wearing Lower Alabama pants and a North Florida hat. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nick Marshall was probably our most country QB of the last 40 years, if not ever. 

And likely is the only QB that will tell Gus a play won't work.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Accuracy, consistency, pocket presence, anticipation, defensive knowledge and awareness, leadership, work ethic, coachability, tenacity, determination.

Those are all great qualities for a QB, especially in an NFL or sophisticated passing scheme.  I'm guessing this is an agree to disagree.  Gus can be somewhat successful with a pocket passer for a year e.g. Chris Todd and Jason Stidham.  He's not going to make the playoffs and be successful unless he has a QB that can make the throws in a Gus offense (screens and deep balls) and is also a threat to score with his legs from 50+ yards out e.g. Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.  If he proves me wrong with Bo or Kendall, then I'm wrong.  Until he does; I'm not.

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

He's not going to make the playoffs and be successful unless he ...is also a threat to score with his legs from 50+ yards out e.g. Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.  If he proves me wrong with Bo or Kendall, then I'm wrong.  Until he does; I'm not.

He could if he had the OLs the 2010 & 2013 teams had. They were great to elite college OLs. You put Cam & Nick with almost any of our other OLs, instead of a perverbial 5 loss team, at best we would be a perverbial 3-4 loss team. Jarrett is not the guy for other reasons but if we had truly good pocket QBs in 2010 & 2013  who had the intangibles Stidham missed we may not have won the natty & gotten to the game in those respective years but with the OLs we had we would have been awfully close.

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yep

Must of been Freudian slip.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He could if he had the OLs the 2010 & 2013 teams had. They were great to elite college OLs. You put Cam & Nick with almost any of our other OLs, instead of a perverbial 5 loss team, at best we would be a perverbial 3-4 loss team. Jarrett is not the guy for other reasons but if we had truly good pocket QBs in 2010 & 2013  who had the intangibles Stidham missed we may not have won the natty & gotten to the game in those respective years but with the OLs we had we would have been awfully close.

JMO, you give Gus Tom Brady in either of those years and we don't make the title game.  Like I said, when he proves me wrong, I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

JMO, you give Gus Tom Brady in either of those years and we don't make the title game.

Given how strong Bama was in those years & what it took to beat them to even get to the SECCG that's not saying much. 12-1 & 11-2 Isn't that far off respectively. That's what we would have been at worst if we had a good pocket QB with leadership skills.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Given how strong Bama was in those years & what it took to beat them to even get to the SECCG that's not saying much. 12-1 & 11-2 Isn't that far off respectively. That's what we would have been at worst if we had a good pocket QB with leadership skills.

Here's more.  We lose at least 3 games both those years with Brady.  And Bama wasn't that strong in 2010.  10-3.  Saban's lowest victory total since 2007.  But, when Gus wins something of significance nationally or even the SEC with a pocket passer, I'll eat the crow.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

We lose at least 3 games both those years with Brady.

That's fair for 2010 given it takes Gus 4 games to figure out his O for the year, especially when it's a new QB. Disagree on 2013.

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

And Bama wasn't that strong in 2010.

That Bama team on that day would have had a 24-3 lead at halftime or something similar no matter who the QB may have been.

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

when Gus wins something of significance nationally or even the SEC with a pocket passer, I'll eat the crow. 

Doesn't look like we will have the OL required to be highly successful with either kind of QB during Gus's remaining tenure so it looks like you won't have to worry about it.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't look like we will have the OL required to be highly successful with either kind of QB during Gus's remaining tenure so it looks like you won't have to worry about it.

Fair enough.  Maybe we snag a GT center and everyone else improves and/or plays to their potential and we'll see.  I'm just very interested in how the QB battle plays out even if we don't get a GT.  I'll give you if we had a Brady type in 2009 instead of noodle arm, we probably beat Bama that year.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What in the world have you been watching? He has not proven to be very competent at all. Gatewood with 1 run showed more flashes than anything that Malik has ever done. Malik WILL NEVER be the starting QB for Auburn. EVER. He is not SEC caliber of talent.

....Oh-kay

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

....Oh-kay

* OH TAY. Btw Name a more Iconic duo than you and your lust for running the 2013 offense! lol.

little rascals.gif

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

* OH TAY. Btw Name a more Iconic duo than you and your lust for running the 2013 offense! lol.

little rascals.gif

I dont see Gus revolutionizing the offense too much and Malik showed in his freshman year he had very good touch on short passes and a very strong arm. He should be able to take advantage of defenders biting IF we get the running game back to that level (or similar). 

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont see Gus revolutionizing the offense too much and Malik showed in his freshman year he had very good touch on short passes and a very strong arm. He should be able to take advantage of defenders biting IF we get the running game back to that level (or similar). 

That is the thing. He is a dime a dozen "Dual Threat" Qb.  He is not that great of a runner to make it worthwhile being the starter over more talented dudes. Joey G is a lot more talented than him and will be a significantly better runner than malik would. I see Malik being third string at best next season.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

That's fair for 2010 given it takes Gus 4 games to figure out his O for the year, especially when it's a new QB. Disagree on 2013.

That Bama team on that day would have had a 24-3 lead at halftime or something similar no matter who the QB may have been.

I imagine the offensive line play will be quite good next year. Not sure why all the negativity 

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

I imagine the offensive line play will be quite good next year. Not sure why all the negativity 

WhichBackAchillestang-small.gif

8 minutes ago, shabby said:

liar liar.gif

31 minutes ago, shabby said:

I imagine the offensive line play will be quite good next year.

because the 2018 OL. They improved late in the year but were at best average, especially given the struggles at Center. Other teams will be getting better on the DL or reloading talent on the DL. The only way I see our OL having a chance at being pretty good is exponential improvement from Kim or Brahms or getting a Grad Transfer Center ready to make an impact.

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

liar liar.gif

I think this would have been the perfect time for your go to "Oh Come On!" Gif

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

because the 2018 OL. They improved late in the year but were at best average, especially given the struggles at Center. Other teams will be getting better on the DL or reloading talent on the DL. The only way I see our OL having a chance at being pretty good is exponential improvement from Kim or Brahms or getting a Grad Transfer Center ready to make an impact.

That oline might not be great but Stidham needs blame as well. His pocket awareness is bad. A QB with good pocket awarenesss does a lot for its o line 

6 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

That oline might not be great but Stidham needs blame as well. His pocket awareness is bad. A QB with good pocket awarenesss does a lot for its o line 

We struggled running the ball too, especially up the middle.

3 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Is there any news on the original subject of this thread?  Not trying to be a jerk.  Just asking.

Nothing more than he visited AU yesterday & AU is interested.

Archived