Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'd rather have him be one of our DBs if he has an open mind about it if he doesn't win the QB job. We were one of the few schools to recruit him as a QB.

Agree.....not sure what his future could be at DB....has size and speed and toughness ...might have NFL potential as DB...... but after a couple years of trying, it does looks like his QB 'upper limit' is not Div 1 so why not consider the longer term future?   

Just sayin'......I was in ME at Auburn for 3 years...just muddling along with C grades and not looking like a great career ahead as an engineer.  ….so changed majors in the middle of my junior year...turned out great and made a big difference in my life..  Never too late to reassess your goals...

56 minutes ago, beaumak said:

OMG this thread started in 2013.  LOL

Yes. AU recruited him pretty hard out of high school.

8 hours ago, kd4au said:

I would rather him become more consistent and become the starting QB. Think if he could put it all together he could be deadly with the RPO and the zone read. He has shown flashes at times of being real good.

I think for alot of people, the debate of him vs Gatewood comes down to what style of offense they want to see brought back. If you liked the 2010 inverted veer, Gatewood should be a star in that. Malik has proven to be very competent in the 2013 read option offense, and he hasn't yet ran it with the threat of the pass to the flats (RPO, essentially) like Nick enjoyed. 

1 minute ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Looks different than I imagined

He definitely takes after his mother. 

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think for alot of people, the debate of him vs Gatewood comes down to what style of offense they want to see brought back. If you liked the 2010 inverted veer, Gatewood should be a star in that. Malik has proven to be very competent in the 2013 read option offense, and he hasn't yet ran it with the threat of the pass to the flats (RPO, essentially) like Nick enjoyed. 

The 2010 offense with the jet sweep threat, with having Schwartz and Shivers would be fun to watch.

If we had the 2013 style offense, I’d like to see an orbit motion incorporated heavily. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's not that complex for me. I just think Joey has the bigger potential higher upside.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

???

3rd is a failed play, but saw Oklahoma ran a good bit of that with mayfield. Gives an extra dimension to make the defense make a call on the fly. 

The second vid plays upside down when embedded. Idk why

Originally from NC in the Charlotte area.....looks like he is touring the south looking at schools where the QBs are leaving early...WV, Duke and AU among others...Seems I recall him from his HS days. 

Played behind back to back Heisman Trophy winners so hard to hold the lack of playing time against him...

Redshirted behind Mayfield …still has two years to go..

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

It's not that complex for me. I just think Joey has the bigger potential higher upside.

That's fair, I think Malik as a freshman was a pretty competent passer, that had really solid touch. Ideally, you're pairing that with game breaking speed. I prefer speed over toughness more times than not, especially when Auburn employs "burst"/power backs as their leads so often. Better complement.

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Originally from NC in the Charlotte area.....looks like he is touring the south looking at schools where the QBs are leaving early...WV, Duke and AU among others...Seems I recall him from his HS days. 

Played behind back to back Heisman Trophy winners so hard to hold the lack of playing time against him...

Redshirted behind Mayfield …still has two years to go..

Duke has decided not to offer him

Not sure what to think about this. I want Gatewood or Nix to ball out. Adding another an to the mix would be overkill but then again, maybe he is needed. If we brought him in, Willis would probably transfer. What about cord? 

Seems AU offered when he was in HS but he was OKlahoma from the start....got his degree...good for him.

Duke might not have accepted him to grad school.  They can be tough.

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Duke has decided not to offer him

Where did you get this info? This seems like Auburn lock..not much film on this guy at all. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Where did you get this info?

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

This seems like Auburn lock..not much film on this guy at all.

There actually is. Unfortunately most of it is from high school.

Archived