Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There actually is. Unfortunately most of it is from high school.

Well that is what I mean..he is a graduate with hardly any collegiate film but nevertheless I am not saying we shouldn’t pursue this guy! It worked out for LSU. What little film I did see of him though, he was a statue in pocket under like Joe who would pick up those tough nose yards. 

Just now, ellitor said:

There actually is. Unfortunately most of it is from high school.

E, I've been watching some of his high school tapes. Does he remind you of Andy Dalton? Both in size and play style 

His footwork is pretty darn good and he does a good job of climbing into the pocket. Also shows that he can run when needed and steps up into pressure. 

Most of his film at OU is garbage time, but from what I've seen I don't see a huge difference in us being interested in Kendall vs Stidham. Yes, Stidham had a bigger body of work, but they are both pass-first QBs that played in Big 12 "air-raid" systems. 

Kendall (OU) vs Stidham (Baylor) - Year prior to transferring:

Kendall: 12/17, 122 yds, 70.6%, 1 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack. 7 rushes, 21 yds, 3.0 avg.

Stidham: 75/109, 1,265 yds, 68.8%, 12 TD, 2 INT, 9 sacks. 36 rushes, 70 yds, 1.9 avg.

To me, if Kendall wants to come I'd be more than happy to have him. Let the competition shake out between Nix, Gatewood, and Kendall. Willis can switch positions or transfer, but it's pretty clear that he isn't the future of this offense.

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Adding another an to the mix would be overkill

I'm not picking on you because several people agree with you, but how is it overkill? 

If we brought him in, Willis would probably transfer.

And that would be fine if we have 4 better QBs. But I'm not sure who's in the market for a former 3* ATH who has 14 career pass attempts to his name and has shown zero ability to win football games as a QB. He might transfer as a WR or DB, though. Honestly, he reminds me of JFIII except not as fast. 

What about cord? 

He's in the mix with the rest of them. But, also like the rest of them except Willis, essentially has zero college experience. The good thing about Sandberg is he came in with full eligibility remaining, so I believe he's got 4 years left since he played in <=4 games. Also, he didn't come here with major aspirations of starting. He came here to compete for the job and earn a degree. 

Kendall doesn't have much experience, either. But he does have 3 years, 39 career pass attempts of which he completed about 70%, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions at a program that is a Pez dispenser for Heisman QBs. He's got 2 years of eligibility left which leaves plenty of time for all the other guys except Willis. 

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sooo like it or not folks I'm starting to think this happens.

Starting to think it's going to happen every year as long as Gus is here and no matter how many QBs we have. We're clearly in the market for a transfer and this guy is returning our calls. Why not. At least Kendall learned under Riley. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Starting to think it's going to happen every year as long as Gus is here and no matter how many QBs we have. We're clearly in the market for a transfer and this guy is returning our calls. Why not. At least Kendall learned under Riley. 

Yep that is a silver lining. He has learned from one of the best. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yet again, Riley is in the market for another transfer as well. See Kyler and maybe Hurts.

As an aside, I don’t feel great about Gatewood getting developed tbe way he should if we are bringing in another pocket passer that is average at best. 

See you later sweet prince. Deja vu when you kill it at Florida.

Bring them all in. Let Dilly do his work and let there be a REAL competition. Let the biggest swinger prove himself and whomever it is be supported by the fans. Competition breeds excellence and sharpens everyone's skills. Winners will rise and others will fall away.

This can not be seen as anything but a good thing. If he comes in, pushes Malik, Joey, Cord, or Bo and they have to step up their game then good, they all need to. It forces them to stretch and become uncomfortable. Their game will either grow or fade. The team will respond to the QBs fighting and we will all be better for it... No matter who wins out.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yet again, Riley is in the market for another transfer as well. See Kyler and maybe Hurts.

As an aside, I don’t feel great about Gatewood getting developed tbe way he should if we are bringing in another pocket passer that is average at best. 

I think Dilly will be able to develop JG's passing...at least I hope.  If he can become more consistent with his accuracy then he will truly be a dual threat and the sky really will be the limit.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep that is a silver lining. He has learned from one of the best. 

If nothing else, he's played in a fully functioning offense and he's probably thrown to most parts of the field even in limited attempts. 

Certainly no assumptions from me about him taking over the job, but he's probably as good of a candidate as any guy we'd take as a 2nd QB in any given recruiting class. And maybe the 3 seasons at Oklahoma make him an even better candidate. 

Now, if there's another Jerod Evans out there and we just said nah, that would be disappointing. Maybe that was the guy from Buffalo. We swung and missed with Bryant. 

And if anybody transfers because of this guy, then they were probably never going to start for Gus anyway. Doesn't really matter whether that's on Gus or on them, I suppose.

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

average at best. 

We don't know that yet. Even in garbage duty 70+% is impressive.

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Joey could still win the job.

I don't understand AK leaving OU unless he just wasn't happy. He had less competition there than he will have here. Another contender, WVU, looks like a better fit for him to me.

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

whomever it is be supported by the fans.

Have you seen our fan base??? We are the poster child for the most popular QB is the one on the bench.

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This can not be seen as anything but a good thing.

Cue Mikey in 3...2...

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The team will respond to the QBs fighting and we will all be better for it... No matter who wins out.

Also AK is a country boy & they usually have a lot of fight in them.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Cue Mikey in 3...2...

If this guy is a possible up grade, fine. Buffalo's Jackson was a poor man's Gatewood and thus, to my thinking, we didn't need him here because we already had Gatewood. I don't see taking another QB just because he's available. If we can get a quality upgrade, sure take him, that's a different thing. If the transfer isn't an upgrade, let's work with what we already have at QB.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also AK is a country boy & they usually have a lot of fight in them.

Nick Marshall was probably our most country QB of the last 40 years, if not ever. 

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Joey could still win the job

You always make me feel better. ☺️

Ever have tbe feeling that you’re hiring an employee or seeing a medical professional but have no confidence that said person will actually get the job done. I feel that way with Gus right now. 

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You always make me feel better. ☺️

Ever have tbe feeling that you’re hiring an employee or seeing a medical professional but have no confidence that said person will actually get the job done. I feel that way with Gus right now. 

Oh I understand. I'm just going to let things play out before I react on this one.

What kind of offense are we planning to run and what type of QB best fits that offense?  Does Gus even know?  How are you going to evaluate the best QB when they all have distinctly different styles, strengths and weaknesses?  It just doesn't seem like we have a coherent plan as far as recruiting/signing/evaluating QB's.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

What kind of offense are we planning to run and what type of QB best fits that offense?  Does Gus even know?  How are you going to evaluate the best QB when they all have distinctly different styles, strengths and weaknesses?  It just doesn't seem like we have a coherent plan as far as recruiting/signing/evaluating QB's.

I would venture a guess that most teams have QBs with different skill sets. Clemson has been to 3 of the last 4 title games with significantly different QBs. bama has gotten there with everything from Greg McElroy to Tua. uga had Fromm and Fields as QB1 and QB2.

Mullen has probably been the most consistent with having a type going back to Tebow- adequate passers who are "mobile" but who tend to be more powerful than nimble- but otherwise it seems to me like most championship teams out there are just trying to get the best QB possible, period. 

That said, no, I don't think we have a coherent plan on offense. 

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Academic exceptions reserved for basketball.

and not grad school for a football player.....heavens NO ! ....

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

How are you going to evaluate the best QB when they all have distinctly different styles, strengths and weaknesses? 

Really doesn't matter. The biggest things Gus needs from a QB is toughness, making good decisions, & throwing the deep ball well. A running QB isn't necessary although it's nice. Gus can still get the misdirection in the run game he loves so much via orbit motion plays @Maverick.AU shared with us yesterday.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Really doesn't matter. The biggest things Gus needs from a QB is toughness, making good decisions, & throwing the deep ball well. A running QB isn't necessary although it's nice. Gus can still get the misdirection in the run game he loves so much via orbit motion plays @Maverick.AU shared with us yesterday.

Call plays like it is against Purdue and it will do wonders 

Archived