Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We got our transfers from jucos and a program that was basically purged after a systemic rape culture was exposed. 

OK is getting a backup QB from bama. That is not the rich getting richer. 

OSU is getting a backup QB from uga. Same story.

I just don't see this massive shift of players who are putting up numbers and winning games at Directional U sliding over to teams that have recruited the Tuas, Trevors and Bos. It's rarely going to make sense for either side. 

I think what you'll see much more often is the same thing we mostly see now- P5 non-starters moving laterally or down. 

If players are allowed to transfer and play immediately when they don't win the starting job, we may see more stacking of 5-star QBs at schools likely to make a championship run. If the 5-star QB clearly gets beat (Kelly Bryant, Josh Fields), he just transfers to another team.

I don't know how terrible that is, but it changes things. Last year, you'd think Josh Fields really had a career decision to make in choosing between Georgia and Auburn, but not so much if he knew he could always transfer out and play in 2019 if he couldn't unseat Fromm.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Oklahoma reportedly trying to prevent AK from making the Wva ....move....that's not sounding good to the outside world....Did Nick move to Oklahoma while I was not looking? 

LOL. A good bit of the last page or so has been talking about that including part of our conversation. LOL

19 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I am somewhat ok about blocking for inner conference transfers.   

It’s a Richard move when players have graduated and the NCAA needs to take it out of the conferences and therefore the coaches hands.

19 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

Does the block by OU to WVU increase the chances he signs with Auburn? When will he make a decision by?

I'm guessing the okies will back down on that decision....makes them look really bad ….since they apparently did not have plans to play him this year and were out shopping for a different QB. 

Not sure if that affects AU at all.....thinking it is a non-issue pretty quickly.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I just don't see this massive shift of players who are putting up numbers and winning games at Directional U sliding over to teams that have recruited the Tuas, Trevors and Bos. It's rarely going to make sense for either side. 

I think what you'll see much more often is the same thing we mostly see now- P5 non-starters moving laterally or down. 

Probably but moving up is costly if you have to sit out a year....though I do recall some yacking on this site about trying to grab the QB from Jax who had looked good in the playoffs.   

If the FCS guys could move up without sitting a year I'm betting there would be a lot more of it than just the few grad trans like we've gotten the last few years. . 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm guessing the okies will back down on that decision....makes them look really bad ….since they apparently did not have plans to play him this year and were out shopping for a different QB. 

Not sure if that affects AU at all.....thinking it is a non-issue pretty quickly.

If OU backs down is he expected to pick WVU or is Auburn still under serious consideration by AK?

2 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

If OU backs down is he expected to pick WVU or is Auburn still under serious consideration by AK?

Appears Okie backed down. 

1 hour ago, Zinzan said:

If players are allowed to transfer and play immediately when they don't win the starting job, we may see more stacking of 5-star QBs at schools likely to make a championship run. If the 5-star QB clearly gets beat (Kelly Bryant, Josh Fields), he just transfers to another team.

I don't know how terrible that is, but it changes things. Last year, you'd think Josh Fields really had a career decision to make in choosing between Georgia and Auburn, but not so much if he knew he could always transfer out and play in 2019 if he couldn't unseat Fromm.

Oh, definitely changes things. For the better, I say. 

16 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

Other questions in play like how hard is AU even pushing for AK?

Just now, ellitor said:

Other questions in play like how hard is AU even pushing for AK?

@Dual-Threat Rigby hopes none!!!! lol #nopocketpassers allowed is his motto! haha

15 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Yep. They got scortched on twitter all day. I sent a pretty scathing tweet to Riley myself.

• ellitor changed the title to Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)
44 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

love this...."worked through its concerns"............LOL...someone at the Big 12 office told them to cut the nonsense before the lawyers showed up. ..

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

love this...."worked through its concerns"............LOL...someone at the Big 12 office told them to cut the nonsense before the lawyers showed up. ..

Lawyers couldn't do anything. It's well within BIG 12 rules as they are now. It was probably the nonstop bashing from college football fans for 7-8 hours straight that got OU to change their stance.

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, definitely changes things. For the better, I say. 

Time will tell if it is better or worse.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Lawyers couldn't do anything.

Sure they could ...file a lawsuit, get a friendly judge to put out a ruling of some kind and cost the Big 12 a lot of money and further embarrassment.   

BUT you are probably right, the public outcry was enough to shame them into doing the right thing.   

The next best thing would be for WVa to beat the okies next season. :)

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

Do each conference have different transfer rules 

For intraconference transfers like this one, yes. NCAA does not legislate that yet.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I agree. I thought it was very hypocritical of them not to let Kendall transfer as a GT and play immediately when they JUST accepted a GT in Hurts who will be able to play immediately.

Archived