Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

The fact is that we are not going to guarantee any transfer QB a starting spot and they will have to compete for the job. While that is probably the case at other schools as well, we have a top HS QB coming in this year. That is the reason that AK is leaving OK in the first place (and now Hurts may be going there now). Competition at the QB spot this year at AU will be intense and you really have to think long and hard about joining the mix before you transfer. That is one of the reasons (not the only one) that Kelly B decided to head to Mizzou. 

It is not an automatic that if you transfer to AU you will start. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He was on a Southern tour. It wasn't that much money to include AU a part of the tour.

It’s not about the money. It’s the fact that the coaches were willing to allow him to come take a visit. That doesn’t just happen.

Just now, DAG said:

It’s not about the money. It’s the fact that the coaches were willing to allow him to come take a visit. That doesn’t just happen.

Yes but it doesn't mean it's committable interest. Miami let him visit but ended up not wanting to take him.

Just now, ellitor said:

Yes but it doesn't mean it's committable interest. Miami let him visit but ended up not wanting to take him.

UM also just got Tate Martell. You think that played a role? 

Now unless Gus has a ace under his sleeve with Jalen Hurts, I don’t get the point of not having a non committed offer

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The fact is that we are not going to guarantee any transfer QB a starting spot and they will have to compete for the job.

Gus has been willing to do it before FTR.

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is the reason that AK is leaving OK in the first place

Unless you've seen it reported from a reputable source we don't know that, although it's possible.

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is one of the reasons (not the only one) that Kelly B decided to head to Mizzou. 

Not sure about that. Speaking of a guy Gus guaranteed QB1 to try to get him.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

UM also just got Tate Martell. You think that played a role? 

They turned down AK before getting Tate. Don't know.

Regardless, like it or not, we don't know if Gus is willing to take AK. As @80Tiger posted yesterday, what little info that's out is Gus leaning to not taking him.

Just now, ellitor said:

They turned down AK before getting Tate. Don't know.

Regardless, like it or not, we don't know if Gus is willing to take AK. As @80Tiger posted yesterday, what little info that's out is Gus leaning to not taking him.

I think you are smart enough to know that UM could’ve absolutely turned down AK because they knew they had a good chance of getting someone like Tate on board. Either way, I was just posing a question. I am not melting over it.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now unless Gus has a ace under his sleeve with Jalen Hurts, I don’t get the point of not having a non committed offer

We don't know that AK has an offer at all. Gus could feel good about the potential of Joey or Bo & decide to not take AK if he doesn't see AK as a real upgrade from them. Still a lot to play out & about a couple more weeks to do it.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I was just posing a question. I am not melting over it.

Didn't say, imply, or have a tone in my post indicating I thought you were. Just replying to you calmly & giving you all the possible scenarios.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Gus has been willing to do it before FTR.

Yes he did with Stid. He is not going to guarantee anyone anything at this point. He needs to win this year. If Gate or Bo are better, they will start. 

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He needs to win this year. If Gate or Bo are better, they will start

Agreed. That's why I think he may not take a GT unless he is blown away with him like KB. Not sure how many potential GT QB he sees as that high in his mind

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Develop Bo as if your job depended on it (b/c it should) and with available reps, develop Joey.  

I hope Dillingham considers moving in and rooming with Bo!  haha, but you get my point.    

Before you bash me for not loving Malik, I have to think there is  a reason the coaches wouldn't let him throw.    Personally, he showed an awful level of ability to make the right reads in the Purdue game.  

We have an older player - Sandberg.   We don't need another 'older player' like a GT to take away from Bo's development.

If I were the coach - Anyone can play the Oregon game except Bo.   Bo plays the next two games and we go from there.  

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

The fact is that we are not going to guarantee any transfer QB a starting spot and they will have to compete for the job. While that is probably the case at other schools as well, we have a top HS QB coming in this year. That is the reason that AK is leaving OK in the first place (and now Hurts may be going there now). Competition at the QB spot this year at AU will be intense and you really have to think long and hard about joining the mix before you transfer. That is one of the reasons (not the only one) that Kelly B decided to head to Mizzou. 

It is not an automatic that if you transfer to AU you will start. 

I think we did Kelly Bryant and would it maybe have offered the starting job to Hurts. Probably did Stidham. On all these other yo-yos I agree. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Looking at it from the coach's standpoint, if a guy wasn't in school for Spring practice he'd have to be Peyton Manning part 2 before I'd risk  a scholarship on him. QB is usually settled by the end of Spring practice, whether that decision is made public or not.

Or Nick Marshall part 2.  In 2013 Gus had nobody he trusted on the roster at QB and took a chance on NM.  JJ was a true freshman, like BN will be this year, and was the heir apparent. A lot of parallels here, just don’t know what’s in Gus’ head about what he thinks about his current QB roster.

It definitely would be best for a GT to be able to participate in Spring practice, but not essential. 

Looks like @AU64 & @McLoofus were right. Pretty crappy move by Riley. The NCAA should step in at it's next rules convention & pass a rule that all Graduate Transfers are immediately eligible regardless of the school they choose.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well this is interesting...

Yep that may change everything. He may be running out of options. According to this article he has already dropped classes and dropped out of OU. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25777632/oklahoma-blocking-qb-transfer-austin-kendall-2019-eligibility-west-virginia

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Looks like @AU64 & @McLoofus were right. Pretty crappy move by Riley. The NCAA should step in at it's next rules convention & pass a rule that all Graduate Transfers are immediately eligible regardless of the school they choose.

Agreed. I didn't realize the conferences still had the right to block grad transfers from immediate eligibility for intra-conference transfers. Riley doesn't appear to care about losing him, if so, let the kid play. It seems if he thought he was that good to be able to transfer immediately and be able to hurt OK next year then he wouldn't be going hard after Hurts. Or maybe Riley's just an asshat, I don't know.

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He may be running out of options.

If the NCAA was smart they would change that rule this April & apply it to him retroactively

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

If the NCAA was smart they would change that rule this April & apply it to him retroactively

That may be the biggest "If" I've ever seen...

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You being sarcastic but I'm thinking that is the next step if they approve the move by Fields from UGA....."the coach said I would start and then brought in another guy"…. is the next reason for immediate transfer.   I'm pretty old....but bet I live to see what amounts to just about free agency....

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Crappy indeed. And agreed. The players need more control over their careers. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You being sarcastic but I'm thinking that is the next step if they approve the move by Fields from UGA....."the coach said I would start and then brought in another guy"…. is the next reason for immediate transfer.   I'm pretty old....but bet I live to see what amounts to just about free agency....

Is that a problem?

Why is everyone so scared of the players being able to do what's best for them?

Archived