Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

How are you going to evaluate the best QB when they all have distinctly different styles, strengths and weaknesses?  

Accuracy, consistency, pocket presence, anticipation, defensive knowledge and awareness, leadership, work ethic, coachability, tenacity, determination.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Really doesn't matter. The biggest things Gus needs from a QB is toughness, making good decisions, & throwing the deep ball well. A running QB isn't necessary although it's nice. Gus can still get the misdirection in the run game he loves so much via orbit motion plays @Maverick.AU shared with us yesterday.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Accuracy, consistency, pocket presence, anticipation, defensive knowledge and awareness, leadership, work ethic, coachability, tenacity, determination.

Yeah, that stuff, too. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Sooo like it or not folks I'm starting to think this happens.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Hearing the exact opposite.

E,  no hard feeling please,  when I ask,  But how are these two quotes different in what they imply?   Yet one is requesting a link or PM.   

7 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

E,  no hard feeling please,  when I ask,  But how are these two quotes different in what they imply?   Yet one is requesting a link or PM.   

I'm just reading tealeaves. I ain't heard much other than Gus showed strong initial interest by making multiple calls to AK right after his names was in the transfer portal. . I was asking for a PM to check to see if something has been posted by a reputable source I hadn't seen yet behind a pay wall.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Bring them all in. Let Dilly do his work and let there be a REAL competition. Let the biggest swinger prove himself and whomever it is be supported by the fans. Competition breeds excellence and sharpens everyone's skills. Winners will rise and others will fall away.

This can not be seen as anything but a good thing. If he comes in, pushes Malik, Joey, Cord, or Bo and they have to step up their game then good, they all need to. It forces them to stretch and become uncomfortable. Their game will either grow or fade. The team will respond to the QBs fighting and we will all be better for it... No matter who wins out.

Metaphorically speaking... ;) 

1 minute ago, Linayus said:

Metaphorically speaking... ;) 

Actually, prior metaphorical QB fights haven't always worked out. Maybe we should have a literal one.

With chainsaws.

Image result for mandy chainsaw gif

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Kendall doesn't have much experience, either. But he does have 3 years, 39 career pass attempts of which he completed about 70%, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions at a program that is a Pez dispenser for Heisman QBs. He's got 2 years of eligibility left which leaves plenty of time for all the other guys except Willis. 

Oh. This is rich.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

There actually is. Unfortunately most of it is from high school.

Played behind two Heisman winners and one year redshirt...did not get much playing time from his OC.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I'm just reading tealeaves. I ain't heard much other than Gus showed strong initial interest by making multiple calls to AK right after his names was in the transfer portal. . I was asking for a PM to check to see if something has been posted by a reputable source I hadn't seen yet behind a pay wall.

Thanks for the reply.  We all know you read more tea leaves than most of us,  so when you imply something directional,  we take notice.  

Anyone know why he's looking to transfer seeing as the position just opened up for him? I say bring him on but I'm just curious

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Anyone know why he's looking to transfer seeing as the position just opened up for him? I say bring him on but I'm just curious

Don't think anyone knows why. I think it's puzzled a good number of us.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't think anyone knows why. I think it's puzzled a good number of us.

Consider...he was recruited by Lincoln Riley to Oklahoma while he was in HS.   Then the okies brought in transfers who played in front of him twice.  He got little playing time and took a redshirt year also so after three year he had only a handful of plays.....but he got his degree. So time to move on. 

JMO but pretty easy see why he might not feel much loyalty to the okies….

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Consider...he was recruited by Lincoln Riley to Oklahoma while he was in HS.   Then the okies brought in transfers who played in front of him twice.  He got little playing time and took a redshirt year also so after three year he had only a handful of plays.....but he got his degree. So time to move on. 

JMO but pretty easy see why he might not feel much loyalty to the okies….

And isn't Oklahoma one of the schools that a lot of people are saying Hurts might go to? Seems he may be in danger of it happening again. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

And isn't Oklahoma one of the schools that a lot of people are saying Hurts might go to? Seems he may be in danger of it happening again. 

The fact they did not even deny interest in Hurts was probably more than enough to send him on his way...

21 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think for alot of people, the debate of him vs Gatewood comes down to what style of offense they want to see brought back. If you liked the 2010 inverted veer, Gatewood should be a star in that. Malik has proven to be very competent in the 2013 read option offense, and he hasn't yet ran it with the threat of the pass to the flats (RPO, essentially) like Nick enjoyed. 

What in the world have you been watching? He has not proven to be very competent at all. Gatewood with 1 run showed more flashes than anything that Malik has ever done. Malik WILL NEVER be the starting QB for Auburn. EVER. He is not SEC caliber of talent.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ummm Baker transferred to OU in early 2014, long before AK committed to OU in 2015, much less enrolled in 2016, so that can't be used as a viable reason or detail.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure they are a legit threat for Hurts.

Just now, ellitor said:

Not sure they are a legit threat for Hurts.

Like 64 said, if they're even interested in him then it sends the same message. 

And Riley might even be encouraging him to look around. 

22 minutes ago, bg5 said:

If we do get him then I think Ashford  goes to UGA.

Why would AK affect Ashford? The overlap is only 1 year.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And Riley might even be encouraging him to look around. 

I think this has more merit. Looks like LR wants mobile QBs as evidenced by landing Spencer Rattler & the QBs he got to transfer in while OC at OU. I just think this points to AK not being a scheme fit for LR & both probably agreed to part ways on good terms.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think this has more merit. Looks like LR wants mobile QBs as evidenced by landing Spencer Rattler & the QBs he got to transfer in while OC at OU. I just think this points to AK not being a scheme fit for LR & both probably agreed to part ways on good terms.

Not mutually exclusive ideas.

Also, Riley has been the guy's OC or head coach the entire time so it's not like there was a sudden change in philosophy, was there? Didn't work out, writing's on the wall. Maybe there's bitterness, maybe not but the dude clearly isn't going to play there and he isn't going to stick around out of sheer loyalty if someone else will have him. 

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ummm Baker transferred to OU in early 2014, long before AK committed to OU in 2015, much less enrolled in 2016, so that can't be used as a viable reason or detail.

He committed during his junior years.... I don't know what the pitch to him was and sitting three years with little playing time and then possibility of Hurts...?     As noted...has his degree  

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nick Marshall was probably our most country QB of the last 40 years, if not ever. 

I am a simple dude. I see a Nick Marshall reference and I hit the like button!!!! lol

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

so it's not like there was a sudden change in philosophy, was there?

Didn't say nor imply there was. Could have just been more of a shift, especially after Stoops left. Could have been something LR grew in to.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

he isn't going to stick around out of sheer loyalty if someone else will have him.  

Didn't say nor imply he would. Just saying there could be other things than loyalty in play. Dismissing it as a loyalty thing seems short sighted to me unless we get info echoing that.

Archived