All Those Great Recruiting Classes

In baseball it's easy to pad your recruiting numbers. Just sign several guys that you know are going to turn pro. It doesn't cost much except some paper and it gives the illusion that recruiting has gone well. We have a recent history of being great at that particular illusion.

Any ranking of baseball recruiting should be made only well after the MLB draft. Say, in September when it's apparent who will actually go to school and who will go pro.

Hope you saw the projected draft today and of the top 33, only three were from the SEC and the majority were from HS and a couple from JCs. Pitchers are preferred and came from schools all over the country, many of which did not make the NCAA tourney. Neither LSU, Vandy or South Carolina had a player in the first round.....Arky and Ole Miss pitchers and an outfielder from Miss. State. Guess what I'm saying is the issue of recruiting all those top HS kids does not mean much either way. MLB grabs off most of the top players and I can't blame any college coach from trying to get the top guys but in the end, they mostly get the guys who MLB scouts figure will not make it into the bigs any time soon. And I doubt JP or any other college coach loses any second level prospects because of the desire to get commitments from the top guys....most never sigh anything and I doubt the coaches quit recruiting just because they don't get a top prospect....and maybe it's worth taking a chance. As for rating recruiting classes, your comment about when to rate the classes applies to all sports. I recall all of Tubs top rated classes...and then watched the cream of the crop end up at some Juco or prep school. .................................meanwhile, most of the top HS kids had committed to their big in state university....South Carolina, Florida and others ......none mentioned AU yet....but guess that's not a surprise now.

Archived