2014 4* RB Elijah Hood (North Carolina signee)

AU_Tiger_88

Hood was a kid being a kid, period. If the kid wants a top shelf education, he would be better served to go to ND over UAT. If he wants to play football for a premiere program, he would be better served to head South, IMO.

Mods can we merge this with the other Elijah Hood thread? I did not know there was an existing Hood thread when I moved this one from the AU recruiting board and thus lost the ability to merge it. TIA.

While Hood isn't officially a part of Notre Dame, he is committed to them and thereby a face of their program as one of their future players.

Let me put it in another perspective. Does Auburn University, or do you for that matter, owe the University of Alabama an apology for the unfounded rumors of Dodge Chargers and other stories in and around Gadsden? No. On the same end, UA owes nothing for stories about bank cards, or secret bagmen.

Two points that I have a problem with. Hood is not the face of Notre Dame's program at this point. He is someone who intends to take a scholarship to the school but hasn't signed...until he does nothing there is official. No student/future student is the face of a program.

Two..I don't know about chargers but I can say this, there are too many things that don't add up from T-Town Mens Wear and all those face book pictures of current players (at the time) signing multiple jerseys and the owner selling them (clear violation as you and I both know players just don't do those signing specifically for one individual without getting something) and the pictures of T-Town owner taking players out to dinner (violation), players Mom getting paid to house sit a rental home which is owned by a booster (shady at the least). Oh and lets not forget facebook pictures of current players showing off their new wheels in front of a certain business that just happens to say that those guys likes his wifes cooking. Oh, and lets not forget how supposedly some players from poor backgrounds are driving 30+ thousand dollar vehicles but not only driving them but being able to afford custom features to those vehicles. Don't give me student loans or other such nonsense...nor don't give me someone who may make a little above minimum wage being able to afford that for their son (it doesn't add up) as if they are only making that much then they tend to spend it and not save it unless these folks are very savy with money which makes you question if they are that savy then why are they making a little above minimum wage?...

90% of your reponse has nothing to do with the questions proferred—specifically the entire second paragraph.

We very well may be dealing with a semantical viewpoint here. You say "he's not the face of the Notre Dame program..."

Yet, a simple google search, using only his name, brings these results. Whether you agree with "face of the program" or not, there is no denying the fact the school in linked with Hood, and Hood with the school, in every facet of this story.

1. Notre Dame commit Elijah Hood flushes Alabama recruiting letters
    SportingNews.com‎ - 1 day ago

2. Elijah Hood, Notre Dame Football Commit, Flushes Alabama Recruiting Letters Down Toilet (VIDEO)
    Huffington Post‎ - 1 day ago

While Hood isn't officially a part of Notre Dame, he is committed to them and thereby a face of their program as one of their future players.

Let me put it in another perspective. Does Auburn University, or do you for that matter, owe the University of Alabama an apology for the unfounded rumors of Dodge Chargers and other stories in and around Gadsden? No. On the same end, UA owes nothing for stories about bank cards, or secret bagmen.

Two points that I have a problem with. Hood is not the face of Notre Dame's program at this point. He is someone who intends to take a scholarship to the school but hasn't signed...until he does nothing there is official. No student/future student is the face of a program.

Two..I don't know about chargers but I can say this, there are too many things that don't add up from T-Town Mens Wear and all those face book pictures of current players (at the time) signing multiple jerseys and the owner selling them (clear violation as you and I both know players just don't do those signing specifically for one individual without getting something) and the pictures of T-Town owner taking players out to dinner (violation), players Mom getting paid to house sit a rental home which is owned by a booster (shady at the least). Oh and lets not forget facebook pictures of current players showing off their new wheels in front of a certain business that just happens to say that those guys likes his wifes cooking. Oh, and lets not forget how supposedly some players from poor backgrounds are driving 30+ thousand dollar vehicles but not only driving them but being able to afford custom features to those vehicles. Don't give me student loans or other such nonsense...nor don't give me someone who may make a little above minimum wage being able to afford that for their son (it doesn't add up) as if they are only making that much then they tend to spend it and not save it unless these folks are very savy with money which makes you question if they are that savy then why are they making a little above minimum wage?...

90% of your reponse has nothing to do with the questions proferred—specifically the entire second paragraph.

We very well may be dealing with a semantical viewpoint here. You say "he's not the face of the Notre Dame program..."

Yet, a simple google search, using only his name, brings these results. Whether you agree with "face of the program" or not, there is no denying the fact the school in linked with Hood, and Hood with the school, in every facet of this story.

2. Elijah Hood, Notre Dame Football Commit, Flushes Alabama Recruiting Letters Down Toilet (VIDEO)

So given your google search capabilities ....who is the face of your program? which recruit? I contend that nicky saban is the face of your program just as much as Kelly is the face of ND and not some recruit that hasn't signed anything nor taken a class yet. So would you say that the kid who signed with ND this past Feb is the face of their program this year? Oh, yeah....he isn't even going there because he decided to go to UCLA...that is why your argument about the face of a program doesn't hold that much water....for that matter since we are doing google searches then lets type in updykes name into the google machine...maybe that is the new face of your program. or the teabagger

If he apologized of his own volition, that's fine and respectful. But if his coach pressured him into doing it, I have a problem with his coach or anyone else interfering with his right to free speech. Meanwhile, how many apologies have been made for poisoning our trees, wearing crimson "Updyke Tree Service" T-shirts, cheering the tea bagging of an unconscious LSU fan, slander/libel about secret "bagmen" and fake ATM cards, or the musical/play-money-shower reception of Cam at the 2010 Iron Bowl?

Your examples of the tea bagger and Harvey Updike are two individual fans who have no relation to the University of Alabama. UA owes the fan base of Auburn and Auburn University nothing in the form of an apology due to the irrational behavior of those two individuals. Yet, despite no relationship, you saw a large contigent of fans organize a fund raising group for the oak trees. There were fans apologizing for their behavior.

Now, the one situation that bears note here is the song played in the 2010 Iron Bowl. Not only was that situation addressed, a formal apology issued, the individual playing the song WAS related to UA and due to that relationship was fired.

I was not referring to official apologies from either university: The University of Alabama does not owe anyone an apology for the actions of the Teabagger or Harvey Updyke, and Notre Dame does not owe anyone an apology for Elijah Woods' actions. I did and still do accept the actions of the Teabagger and Updyke as the deranged solo behavior of two disturbed individuals. But how many of the bystanders who stood around, cheered, encouraged, and filmed the teabagger (as well as also molesting the victim themselves in terms of piling trash on him) have apologized? Yes, many Bama fans disavowed Harvey's actions and I appreciate their respect and decency...but how many persons wearing "Updyke Tree Service" T-shirts and/or seeking Harvey's autograph or picture on Bourbon St. have apologized? The NCAA has investigated and cleared Auburn on both the bagman and ATM card allegations, so I think apologies are due. It has yet to officially rule on T-Town Mensware, Hot Wheelzz rims in Mobile, or the Dodge Charger allegations. IF and when the NCAA investigates and gives Bama a clean bill of health on those allegations, then I'd say those accusers owe an apology also. Yes, the UA Administration apologized and acknowledged their official responsibility as far as the music played in their stadium. Has the person who actually played the music apologized? (I don't know) How about the fan who dumped play money on Cam as he returned to the locker room after warm ups? I'm just saying it's hypocritical of those particular fans who do not apologize for their own actions to act incensed over the silly prank of a high school kid who chose Notre Dame over the Tide.

If he apologized of his own volition, that's fine and respectful. But if his coach pressured him into doing it, I have a problem with his coach or anyone else interfering with his right to free speech.

Now, what I find amusing here is your assertion his coach is interfereing with his freedom of speech. His coach told him to have some respect and to pull the video down. Here we have a coach looking out for the actions of one of his former players. If only every collegiate prospect had someone looking out for him in this manner we'd see a better atmosphere surrounding the sport we follow.

Elijah Hood tweeted: "My Highschool Coach Called Gotta Take Roll Toilet down and apologize..." Rightly or wrongly, I inferred from that, particularly his use of the word "gotta", that he was forced to take it down and apologize. Certainly, since he still has his senior HS season to play, his coach has the ability to exert undue pressure on him. Again, if he apologized of his own volition, good for him being cognizant his actions and making whatever amends his conscience leads him to. If he was pressured by his coach to apologize for something he is not ashamed of, then the coach is interfering with his free speech. However, if his coach only advised and suggested, with no undue pressure, then his free speech rights were not stepped on. (And of course, for any of us, having the right to free speech is not the same as using that right in a wise or courteous manner.)

If he apologized of his own volition, that's fine and respectful. But if his coach pressured him into doing it, I have a problem with his coach or anyone else interfering with his right to free speech.

Now, what I find amusing here is your assertion his coach is interfereing with his freedom of speech. His coach told him to have some respect and to pull the video down. Here we have a coach looking out for the actions of one of his former players. If only every collegiate prospect had someone looking out for him in this manner we'd see a better atmosphere surrounding the sport we follow.

Elijah Hood tweeted: "My Highschool Coach Called Gotta Take Roll Toilet down and apologize..." Rightly or wrongly, I inferred from that, particularly his use of the word "gotta", that he was forced to take it down and apologize. Certainly, since he still has his senior HS season to play, his coach has the ability to exert undue pressure on him. Again, if he apologized of his own volition, good for him being cognizant his actions and making whatever amends his conscience leads him to. If he was pressured by his coach to apologize for something he is not ashamed of, then the coach is interfering with his free speech. However, if his coach only advised and suggested, with no undue pressure, then his free speech rights were not stepped on. (And of course, for any of us, having the right to free speech is not the same as using that right in a wise or courteous manner.)

There were several times in the '11 & '12 seasons when I wished Chizik had stepped on some of our players "freedom of speech" and I wished he would have taken their rights to use twitter completely away from them. Just sayin.

Kessler & TerryP: Just so you know, I have no problem with you feeling/believing what you feel/believe. I respect your right to your opinion and I'm cool with it. I just feel differently. (okay--I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union). But as I said earlier and can agree, in regards to players' stupidity on Tweeter/Facebook/social media, I wish a lot of people would use better sense when exercising their rights!

Kessler & TerryP: Just so you know, I have no problem with you feeling/believing what you feel/believe. I respect your right to your opinion and I'm cool with it. I just feel differently. (okay--I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union). But as I said earlier and can agree, in regards to players' stupidity on Tweeter/Facebook/social media, I wish a lot of people would use better sense when exercising their rights!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can assure you any opinion you voice that contradicts mine is going to be considered. I don't carry "feelings" on message forums because I treat them as they are intended—entertainment.

Since you've brought your political leanings into this conversation, allow me to interject one thought.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Freedom of speech is possibly the most misunderstood and misused phrase I can think of right now. Is Hood addressing the Government? Is his coach a member of congress? Is there a law being established that prevents...

Just sayin' :flag:

So given your google search capabilities ....who is the face of your program? which recruit? I contend that nicky saban is the face of your program just as much as Kelly is the face of ND and not some recruit that hasn't signed anything nor taken a class yet. So would you say that the kid who signed with ND this past Feb is the face of their program this year? Oh, yeah....he isn't even going there because he decided to go to UCLA...that is why your argument about the face of a program doesn't hold that much water....for that matter since we are doing google searches then lets type in updykes name into the google machine...maybe that is the new face of your program. or the teabagger

Perhaps I'm reading you incorrectly. And if so, mea culpa. My first impression is you're more intent on arguing the point of whether I should have added an "s" to the end of face than anything else.

In practically every report I've seen about Hood it's been mentioned he's going to be a Notre Dame football player. By that, he already represents their program. And, through that, it doesn't shed a good light on the institute.

Is it appropriate for Notre Dame to be linked to Hood and vice-versa? They certainly shouldn't be held accountable for the immature actions of a kid. But, the two are linked.

We're roughly a year removed from actions of Dee Liner—as a recruit—being linked to the Auburn program. Appropriate? No. Yet, we saw people using his story as something that they felt defined the Auburn program.

Just as a quick suggestion. Don't waste your time throwing comments like Updyke and the LSU story into conversations with me. You aren't going to get me to bite. It's simply not in my DNA.

i dont know about the rest of you but i wouldnt want a guy with that type of character on our team. it's not worth the risk IMO. Notre Dame can have it

While I enjoyed who he was disrespecting, I thought it was very classless, immature, and over the line. Glad it was not an Auburn committ who did that.

Funny, but doesn't he know that will destroy his sceptic system?

Bottom line is it was his right to do this . Also , it was funny as H@ll . I saw a lot of support from his twitter followers . The only people who didn't think it was funny was $atan and the butthurt $puat fanbase . If one of their own did it they would be rolling with laughter and their backwoods message boards would sticky it all over the internet universe . Same old bammer fan base . Anyone of their fanbase who feels differently is in the minority . Don't believe me just see H. Updyke...........

Archived