Keagan Thompson picks AU over MLB

It's hard to build a strong team when you have MLB singing your guys after spending a 1 year or 2 in college. Also, it's even harder signing top HS players when they sign pro deal right out of high school.

It's hard to build a strong team when you have MLB singing your guys after spending a 1 year or 2 in college. Also, it's even harder signing top HS players when they sign pro deal right out of high school.

MLB can not draft a player, that goes to a four year college, until after their jr. year. A kid that goes JUCO can be drafted every year. That's why a lot of really good players go JUCO out of HS.

Good news for us with Keegan. War Eagle young man!

A kid that goes JUCO can be drafted every year. That's why a lot of really good players go JUCO out of HS.

You could not be more right. A junior college player has so many more options, and scholarship money is never an obstacle (24 full).

By the way, the 2013 NJCAA D1 national champions reside in Alex City.

what is overlooked a lot by coaching searches are JUCO coaches. Look at the ones who consistently have great teams. With the turnover that you get in the JUCO ranks each year, a coach that consistently wins at that level can coach. Yes I know about kids who want to improve their draft status out of HS go the JUCO route for a year or so to improve that status but still if you look well enough you will find a good coach. Now convincing some of them to step up to a team like AU might be a problem but it is worth a look...

No doubt that Recruiting will pickup right away.

Recruitin was actually pretty good under Pawl

We differ on that one. His recruiting classes were sometimes highly rated, but a lot of that was due to players that never came to school, they went pro instead. Most of Paw's players were transfers or JUCO guys. What we got was what we got, they were already as developed as they were going to get and the consequent turnover was debilitating. Example: At the end of this season, six of our eight starting position players, the three weekend starting pitchers and the #1 closer were all former JUCO or transfer guys. It's hard to build a good team like that.

We differ on that one. His recruiting classes were sometimes highly rated, but a lot of that was due to players that never came to school, they went pro instead. Most of Paw's players were transfers or JUCO guys. What we got was what we got, they were already as developed as they were going to get and the consequent turnover was debilitating. Example: At the end of this season, six of our eight starting position players, the three weekend starting pitchers and the #1 closer were all former JUCO or transfer guys. It's hard to build a good team like that.

You are dead wrong. Some of the best HS players in the nation go JUCO because they have so many more options. Jose Bautista, Don Sutton, Albert Pujols (I could do this for dayssssssss, but I think you get my drift) all played JUCO ball.

You are dead wrong. Some of the best HS players in the nation go JUCO because they have so many more options. Jose Bautista, Don Sutton, Albert Pujols (I could do this for dayssssssss, but I think you get my drift) all played JUCO ball.

And which of them played at a four year college after JUCO? None, I think. They all went pro. Paw's JUCO guys weren't the Suttons of the world, Paw's JUCO's were the ones the pros didn't want. Pujols isn't in the group Paw was recruiting from. Paw was taking what was left after the pros had picked the bones clean.

And which of them played at a four year college after JUCO? None, I think. They all went pro. Paw's JUCO guys weren't the Suttons of the world, Paw's JUCO's were the ones the pros didn't want. Pujols isn't in the group Paw was recruiting from. Paw was taking what was left after the pros had picked the bones clean.

ok then, if you want to go that route.....Tim Hudson, Bobby Thigpen, just to name two.

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2173&SPSID=27867 (8 on LSU's current roster), http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&SPID=10993&SPSID=90859 (6 On Miss. St.'s current roster). Every major program in the nation has JUCO talent because they are more proven than HS kids. FSU, one of the top programs in the nation for the last two decades, wears out JUCO's for their talent. http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/fsu-m-basebl-mtt.html (9 on their current roster)

Heck. If I was a recruit drafted a little bit below where I wanted I would go to juco since jucos can be drafted every year.

The Seminoles have nine former JUCO's on their current roster? Ok, we had ten in our top 12 players. Big difference. Can a coach sign JUCO players that will help him win half of his games? Yes indeed. Can he recruit a few JUCO players to plug gaps in his otherwise top-notch team? Yes. Can he build a championship caliber team with 83% former JUCO and transfer players? Nope. (83% based on 10 of our top 12 this season) Paw just tried that. How'd it work for him?

Quoting ellitor: "Heck. If I was a recruit drafted a little bit below where I wanted I would go to juco since jucos can be drafted every year."

I might too. But if I were a coach at a major college I wouldn't be waiting for the pros to pick off the top kids out of high school, then pick off the top Juco players from the remainder two years later and then hope to build a team off the guys the pros had passed on time and again.

The Seminoles have nine former JUCO's on their current roster? Ok, we had ten in our top 12 players. Big difference. Can a coach sign JUCO players that will help him win half of his games? Yes indeed. Can he recruit a few JUCO players to plug gaps in his otherwise top-notch team? Yes. Can he build a championship caliber team with 83% former JUCO and transfer players? Nope. (83% based on 10 of our top 12 this season) Paw just tried that. How'd it work for him?

Quoting ellitor: "Heck. If I was a recruit drafted a little bit below where I wanted I would go to juco since jucos can be drafted every year."

I might too. But if I were a coach at a major college I wouldn't be waiting for the pros to pick off the top kids out of high school, then pick off the top Juco players from the remainder two years later and then hope to build a team off the guys the pros had passed on time and again.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. Every college program in America is building their team with kids that the pro's didn't "pick off" out of HS and JUCO. See, because those guys are no longer eligible to play college ball, at any level, once they sign with the pro's. JUCO players are a necessity to every team. You were consantly griping about how undercoached and underdeveloped our players were. I totally agree with you. It looks like we hired a guy who knows how to coach the fundamentals. That is what we were lacking IMO.

I am not sure of the ins and outs, but I heard some talk about how both AU and UA are at a disadvantage to other SEC teams. Think it had something to do with the hope scholly, but that only has to do with UGA. Anyone else know anything about this?

I am not sure of the ins and outs, but I heard some talk about how both AU and UA are at a disadvantage to other SEC teams. Think it had something to do with the hope scholly, but that only has to do with UGA. Anyone else know anything about this?

Been talked about a lot. Other states have lotteries or out of state excemptions to draw from that Auburn does not.

It's nothing more than a minor inconvenience that's easily dealt with. Mostly it's been used as a lame excuse for losing.

The two teams that did not make the SEC tournament both had lottery scholarships. Five of the nine SEC teams that made the NCAA tournament did not have lottery scholarships. Are lottery scholarships there? Yes. Do they matter? No.

Been talked about a lot. Other states have lotteries or out of state excemptions to draw from that Auburn does not.

No team in America has an unfair scolarship advantage over Auburn, Google "Pepperdine Baseball NCAA Sanctions". Every team in D1 has 11.7. As for HOPE money being the recruiting silver bullet, ask Dave Perno.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. Every college program in America is building their team with kids that the pro's didn't "pick off" out of HS and JUCO. See, because those guys are no longer eligible to play college ball, at any level, once they sign with the pro's.

You're off topic. That didn't address my concern that Pawloski was not getting players the pros and other top colleges were after. We all know they're not eligible once they sign with a pro team. Did you have a point there?

Quote:"JUCO players are a necessity to every team. A few, sometimes. Building a team off of them like Paw was doing and you're trying to claim others are doing, no.

Quote:"You were consantly griping about how undercoached and underdeveloped our players were. I totally agree with you. It looks like we hired a guy who knows how to coach the fundamentals. That is what we were lacking IMO."

What does this have to do with the subject at hand, which was Pawloski's recruiting failures?

No team in America has an unfair scolarship advantage over Auburn, Google "Pepperdine Baseball NCAA Sanctions". Every team in D1 has 11.7. As for HOPE money being the recruiting silver bullet, ask Dave Perno.

Technically yes but lotteries and such allow some schools to work around those technicalities.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. Every college program in America is building their team with kids that the pro's didn't "pick off" out of HS and JUCO. See, because those guys are no longer eligible to play college ball, at any level, once they sign with the pro's.

You're off topic. That didn't address my concern that Pawloski was not getting players the pros and other top colleges were after. We all know they're not eligible once they sign with a pro team. Did you have a point there?

Quote:"JUCO players are a necessity to every team. A few, sometimes. Building a team off of them like Paw was doing and you're trying to claim others are doing, no.

Quote:"You were consantly griping about how undercoached and underdeveloped our players were. I totally agree with you. It looks like we hired a guy who knows how to coach the fundamentals. That is what we were lacking IMO."

What does this have to do with the subject at hand, which was Pawloski's recruiting failures?

I wanted to give you yet another thing to gripe about. I figured you were running out of things, but I come on here and see you still find things to bitch about.

I suspect I'll continue to bitch about recruiting when any Auburn team does not recruit athletes that are on a level with what other top SEC teams are bringing in.

"Nobody can win consistently without superior talent. Some people can't win with it, but nobody can win without it"~~John Wooden, from his book "They Call Me Coach".

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect I'll continue to bitch about recruiting when any Auburn team does not recruit athletes that are on a level with what other top SEC teams are bringing in.

"Nobody can win consistently without superior talent. Some people can't win with it, but nobody can win without it"~~John Wooden, from his book "They Call Me Coach".

I've always wanted to know, how'd you pick the caller name "Shadow"...?

Archived