Clint Myers New Softball Coach

994164_10151655208744894_1710226411_n.jpg

Thrilled to announce Coach Clint Myers as @AuburnTigersSB head coach. He won 2 NCAA titles, made WCWS 7 of 8 years at Arizona State.

We sought winner who could compete for championships, and we found our man in Coach Myers. Join me in welcoming him and wife, Katie, to AU.

Jay Jacobs @jayjacobsauad

Clint Myers, AU's new softball coach, had a 427-102 record in 8 yrs @ Arizona St. He led ASU to 7 WCWS & won 2 national titles in '08 & '11

Scott Scroggins @ScrogginsNoggin

Clint Myers Bio: http://www.thesundev...ers_273407.html

Surprising. The "hire a winner" folks should be particularly thrilled with this one, as am I. Now we'll see what can be done about Auburn softball!

Fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!

Clint Myers, who led Arizona State to two NCAA Championships, has been named Auburn softball’s second head coach in program history, Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs announced Friday. In eight years at the helm of the Sun Devil program, Myers took seven trips to the Women’s College World Series.

Myers captained the Sun Devils to national titles in 2008 and 2011 and made the trip to Oklahoma City seven times in eight years. In his only miss of the WCWS, he took ASU to an NCAA Super Regional. Under his guidance, ASU has averaged 53 wins per season, including 60-plus wins twice. He became the third coach in Sun Devil softball history to amass 400 victories.

“I am very excited to begin what I expect to be a challenging, rewarding and fulfilling life change with my move to become the Head Softball Coach at Auburn University,” Myers said. “This opportunity to coach with my family and to become part of what I feel is a total community family in the town of Auburn was one I absolutely could not pass up. Thank you for giving me and my family this “Alabama Adventure”. We hope that you will enjoy the ride with us for years to come.”

The Bismarck, N.D., native has also led his teams to great success off the field, twice being honored in the top 10 percent in APR scores among NCAA softball teams. ASU softball was recognized for the four-year cohort ending in 2010-11 and 2009-10, with a 2011 compiled score of 998.

"When we began our search for a new softball coach, the goal was to find a proven winner who could help us compete for championships," Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. "We could not have found a coach who better fits that criteria than Clint Myers, who has consistently reached the pinnacle of success in college softball. Anytime you can hire a coach who has won two National Championships and been to the Women's College World Series seven out of eight years, it's obviously a huge win for your program. No less important is the fact that Coach Myers' student-athletes have also been consistent winners in the classroom. I am delighted to welcome Coach Myers and his wife, Katie, to the Auburn family. One of the things I learned about Coach Myers during this process is how important family is to him. That will make him a great fit at Auburn."

spacer.gif

New #Auburn softball coach Clint Myers says he and family are excited about "the Alabama adventure that we're about to partake on."

When it comes to reasons Myers was attracted to #Auburn job, he immediately mentions SEC and the challenge it presents.

Myers: "I think the challenge, and I think just the history and the reputation at the University of #Auburn is awesome."

Myers said he's in the twilight of his career, 2020 is his goal to reach. He said two factors in that decision will be God and his wife.

Myers said he accepted the job today. He flew in with wife Friday and back to Arizona on Sunday for interview.

Myers on #Auburn team: "We're taking over a program that has a great tradition, and again that's one of the things that's attractive."

Asked about his success, Myers credits others: "I surround myself with good people." He credited good athletes, good teachers as assistants.

Meet Clint Myers: "Greatness is a way of life, it's not something you can turn on and off. It's something you have to live your life by."

Myers on competing with Alabama: "I just hope to make Pat Murphy's life miserable. He has the predominant program in the state."

Myers on leaving ASU: "I'll tell you, the toughest thing is that these young ladies mean the world to me. They should be a preseason top 5."

Myers said he hasn't said goodbye to his Arizona State players, but admitted "it is going to be extremely difficult."

Myers asked about terms of his contract: "I'll leave that to Jay."

#Auburn OF Morgan Estell: "It's a great opportunity, not only for us as a team but for the university. It's a great hire in my opinion."...

Estell glad the wait for hiring a softball coach is over: "I am so glad it's over. The anticipation is killer."

@AUBlog

Myers: "I think the challenge, and I think just the history and the reputation at the University of #Auburn is awesome."

Myers says SEC was a big draw for him, challenge "to do some things as far as trying to win in that conference."

Myers says both of his sons will be on staff.

Myers says his entire family will be in the same town. Obviously important to him.

Myers: "The key thing that I see is to take (Auburn softball) one step further." Wants Super Regionals, WCWS appearances

Myers' last day at Arizona State is the 21st of June, then he'll hit the ground running on preparing Auburn.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Good point ...

Let's not forget, #Auburn still has to hire a baseball coach. Hiring softball coach like Clint Myers really sets the bar high.

@AUBlog

Sounds like a very good hire.....and might also expand our recruiting area since Alabama is not a hot bed of women's softball. West coast teams have been strong for years and hope he can bring some fresh (top) talent to AU.

ABSOLUTE HOME RUN HIRE... Looking forward to watching the ladies play and see where he takes the program. Should be a fun ride.

New #Auburn softball coach Clint Myers says he and family are excited about "the Alabama adventure that we're about to partake on."

When it comes to reasons Myers was attracted to #Auburn job, he immediately mentions SEC and the challenge it presents.

Myers said he's in the twilight of his career, 2020 is his goal to reach. He said two factors in that decision will be God and his wife.

Myers said he accepted the job today. He flew in with wife Friday and back to Arizona on Sunday for interview.

Myers on #Auburn team: "We're taking over a program that has a great tradition, and again that's one of the things that's attractive."

Asked about his success, Myers credits others: "I surround myself with good people." He credited good athletes, good teachers as assistants.

Meet Clint Myers: "Greatness is a way of life, it's not something you can turn on and off. It's something you have to live your life by."

Myers on competing with Alabama: "I just hope to make Pat Murphy's life miserable. He has the predominant program in the state."

Myers on leaving ASU: "I'll tell you, the toughest thing is that these young ladies mean the world to me. They should be a preseason top 5."

Myers said he hasn't said goodbye to his Arizona State players, but admitted "it is going to be extremely difficult."

Myers asked about terms of his contract: "I'll leave that to Jay."

#Auburn OF Morgan Estell: "It's a great opportunity, not only for us as a team but for the university. It's a great hire in my opinion."...

Estell glad the wait for hiring a softball coach is over: "I am so glad it's over. The anticipation is killer."

@AUBlog

Myers says SEC was a big draw for him, challenge "to do some things as far as trying to win in that conference."

Myers says both of his sons will be on staff.

Myers says his entire family will be in the same town. Obviously important to him.

Myers: "The key thing that I see is to take (Auburn softball) one step further." Wants Super Regionals, WCWS appearances

Myers' last day at Arizona State is the 21st of June, then he'll hit the ground running on preparing Auburn.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Gotta love what he said bout the turds

I've been one of the loudest critics of Jay Jacobs on this board, but WOW!! He really hit a grand slam on this one! These are the types of hires that we have been expecting on the men's side, and I just hope that he can make an equally impressive hire with the baseball team. War Eagle Coach Myers and Jay Jacobs!!!

Holy crap. What a great hire. Holy crap! It is going to be fun to see where he can take our program. Welcome Coach Myers and War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I follow College Softball very closely. My daughter played for 16 years including college. This hire is as good as it gets. Unbelievable that JJ was able to put this together. Coach Myers is one of the top Softball Coaches in the nation. Giving him the ability to bring his two sons with him to be on his staff was what turned him Auburn's way. GREAT HIRE JJ!!!

WOW !!! Great hire !!! Not gonna lie, I wanted Vann, but this will definitely work. WDE !!!

I follow College Softball very closely. My daughter played for 16 years including college. This hire is as good as it gets. Unbelievable that JJ was able to put this together. Coach Myers is one of the top Softball Coaches in the nation. Giving him the ability to bring his two sons with him to be on his staff was what turned him Auburn's way. GREAT HIRE JJ!!!

Yep, in my opinion, the hire could not have been better. I was shocked when I heard the news.

Great hire - Myers took Murphy to the woodshed in the 2011 and won the WCWS. The guy is a little old, but he knows how to coach softball and he knows how to bring in the west coast talent that AU needs badly. He will be able to open up the recruiting net and grab some a lot of attention from the west talent pools.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pic and update RR. Was wondering when he would arrive on campus. Anyone heard anything on recruiting, who's staying and who's leaving, etc.?

Archived