Throwing under pressure

StatTiger

* Of the 120 teams at the FBS level, 49.4 percent of the passes attempted during a game occurred when trailing on the scoreboard during 2012.

* The Auburn pass-offense finished No. 107 nationally with 71.6 percent of their pass attempts occurring when trailing on the scoreboard, No. 13 in the conference.

* The combined win percentage of the nation's top-25 teams that threw the ball the least, when trailing was .802. Six teams from the SEC, finished in the nation's top-25. This included Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss and South Carolina. Those 6 SEC teams combined for a record of 64-16.

* During the 2012 season, 16 teams attempted more than 70 percent of their passes, when trailing on the scoreboard. The combined record for those 16 teams was 38-154.

* Of the 38 teams that attempted more than 60 percent of their passes, when trailing, only 4 finished the season with a winning record.

Last year was not a good year for Auburn to start 2 young quarterbacks. They were both forced to constantly play "uphill".

Here's to taking the pressure off the QB this year with a strong running game and a defense that will get the ball back to that strong running game!

Recipe for a much better season!

:wareagle:

Further proof that running the ball wins championships.

No argument, but I think it is more so, that teams getting blown out tend to throw the ball a lot more trying to get back into the game. If the game is competitive, there's no reason to throw it 60 or 70+ percent of the time.

No argument, but I think it is more so, that teams getting blown out tend to throw the ball a lot more trying to get back into the game. If the game is competitive, there's no reason to throw it 60 or 70+ percent of the time.

We would need Stat to crunch the number but I bet the teams that throw more in the situation in his OP also throw the ball more in general. There are coaches out there like Mike Leach that generally believe in throwing the ball.

you have to be able to run it. you have to be able to keep the game close, else you have to throw it.

Since 2000, teams in the SEC that rushed for at least 140-yards and held their opponent under 100-yards rushing in the same game combined for a record of 426-37 or a win pct of 92 percent. Of the 37 losses, 28 were by 7 pts or less.

During the same time span (2000-2012), SEC teams that needed at least 40 pass attempts during a game combined for a record of 82-176 (.318). SEC teams that attempted at least 40 passes during a game and were held to under 140-yards rushing combined for a record of 40-144 (.217).

I agree. Trailing by 3 is a much different scenario than trailing by 14+.

you have to be able to run it. you have to be able to keep the game close, else you have to throw it.

Since 2000, teams in the SEC that rushed for at least 140-yards and held their opponent under 100-yards rushing in the same game combined for a record of 426-37 or a win pct of 92 percent. Of the 37 losses, 28 were by 7 pts or less.

During the same time span (2000-2012), SEC teams that needed at least 40 pass attempts during a game combined for a record of 82-176 (.318). SEC teams that attempted at least 40 passes during a game and were held to under 140-yards rushing combined for a record of 40-144 (.217).

Not really surprising, but nice to see numbers to back up the conventional wisdom: run the ball; stop the run.

This is true, had a dream AU played SC in SEC Championship Game This Yr and we won on a Cameron draw play that had to be reviewed on instant replay because he was stripped at the goal line by #7, his name escapes me. I hope this dream comes true.

In the SEC you have to be able to run the ball when you want to and stop the run, especially when you have to......do this in most games and you will be positioned to win championships.

I think most of us agree, that you don't just decide to be primarily a running team if you don't control the LOS. If your defense don't keep the opposition under control and you cant rush well enough to stay close you must throw it. even if you cant throw it you have to try. you cant lose every game on the ground, we throw because we must.

Archived