Better Chemistry on BB team

AU64

Comment from a couple players in an al.com piece makes mention of improved chemistry which I guess is code for "we are better off with some guys gone". The new line-up looks pretty good....certainly better, IMO, than last season where there was lots of jockeying around from game to game by TB trying to find 5 guys who could play well together....and even by the end of the season, there did not seem to be an established starting line-up. It's nice that the Bahamas trip is so early to give all the new guys a chance to work together and hopefully develop some cohesion for the coming season.

I just think we're in such a hole with basketball right now, that unless we have a winning season, I'm still going to expect the removal of Coach Barbee. There's no excuse for this after 3 years.

Comment from a couple players in an al.com piece makes mention of improved chemistry which I guess is code for "we are better off with some guys gone". The new line-up looks pretty good....certainly better, IMO, than last season where there was lots of jockeying around from game to game by TB trying to find 5 guys who could play well together....and even by the end of the season, there did not seem to be an established starting line-up. It's nice that the Bahamas trip is so early to give all the new guys a chance to work together and hopefully develop some cohesion for the coming season.

I agree with this. My dad was of the opinion last year that some of our "better" players might be holding us back. Upperclassmen who "should" have been able to be more effective on the offensive side were inconsistent. I didn't really believe him at the time, but these comments from the team might be indicators that he was right. I'm optimistic that we'll be better...

Everyone is always optimistic about a new season, it's like that with all players and in all sports. It's also normal to place blame or dismiss failure on players who won't be returning. I hope these guys are right and every thing they say is true. Of course, every year in Spring Training its the year the Cubs are gonna win a World Series. It will be interesting to review this article at the end of this season and see how it reads then. Hopefully our positive results will do the talking.

I like your optimism, I really do. However, it's yet to be proven that Barbee will settle on a lineup next season any sooner than he did last season, which was never. He's pushed me to the point that I won't believe improvement is coming until I see it on the scoreboard.

Everyone is always optimistic about a new season, it's like that with all players and in all sports. It's also normal to place blame or dismiss failure on players who won't be returning. I hope these guys are right and every thing they say is true. Of course, every year in Spring Training its the year the Cubs are gonna win a World Series. It will be interesting to review this article at the end of this season and see how it reads then. Hopefully our positive results will do the talking.

Gotta disagree with this comment...I think it's pretty rare fore any player to comment on players from the previous season and issues that might have affected the team's performance. We watched a 3-9 football team and no player ever commented on possible reasons or blamed anyone for the crappy effort. Additionally, anyone who gave more than cursory observations to the team last year should have seen/known what these guys were talking about. Sure we are always optimistic...but better chemistry would be one less thing for them to overcome.

Gotta disagree with this comment...I think it's pretty rare fore any player to comment on players from the previous season and issues that might have affected the team's performance. We watched a 3-9 football team and no player ever commented on possible reasons or blamed anyone for the crappy effort. Additionally, anyone who gave more than cursory observations to the team last year should have seen/known what these guys were talking about. Sure we are always optimistic...but better chemistry would be one less thing for them to overcome.

Sammy Coates disagrees with that. He pretty much called out the seniors for a lack of leadership on the football team during the season.

True but I think Sammy retracted his comment ASAP too. Maybe because Harrell was not an active player he felt more free to comment about last season but I still think it's encouraging that the issue recognized, acknowledged and appears to be improved.

+1

As a great Auburn philosopher noted a few years ago, "team chemistry" is not something that you can pick up at Walmart. Over the years the sports world has had a number of reasonably good teams that just could not play together..so last year at AU was nothing new.

I always look to the optimistic side I guess.... but I don't think we will need to wait much past January to know whether the team chemistry is an issue. It did not take long last season to see that something was wrong....and it just got worse as the season progressed. JMO but we will know a lot by early to mid January and the W-L at that point will not tell the story.

As a great Auburn philosopher noted a few years ago, "team chemistry" is not something that you can pick up at Walmart. Over the years the sports world has had a number of reasonably good teams that just could not play together..so last year at AU was nothing new.

I always look to the optimistic side I guess.... but I don't think we will need to wait much past January to know whether the team chemistry is an issue. It did not take long last season to see that something was wrong....and it just got worse as the season progressed. JMO but we will know a lot by early to mid January and the W-L at that point will not tell the story.

If the W-L isn't telling a nice story by mid-January we'll know all we need to know except who the next coach will be.

Totally right, this year's LA Lakers are a case in point. Sometimes no matter how talented your roster is, the team just can't come together.

Archived