Gus lights into Bielema on slowdown

cooltigger21

Gus got his back up a little on the numbnuts and his idea to try and slow do down the hurry up offense. I can't wait for that game. I hope Gus hangs 70 on his sorry azz. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/22798061/gus-malzahn-rips-nohuddle-slowdown-bielema-responds

This is what we've been lacking is for someone to stick up for us as a coach; not just say all the cliches but to really say, like it or not, we're gonna play within the rules and were gonna beat you

Not only all that, but a coach that really understand HS football. And everything he said is dead on. Look at the huge change in the NFL. I love the hire more every day. Granted, he has played no games yet.

I listened to the whole thing today...first of all, the media guy who asked Bielema the question misquoted CGM. Obviously CBB did not understand the context. Having said that, I think CBB and CNS both are wusses. "I'm gonna take my ball and go home!" I say man up or get out. saban just wants to control the game with situational substitutions. The HUNH does not allow him to do this. I say: TOO BAD, MIDGET!

I listened to the whole thing today...first of all, the media guy who asked Bielema the question misquoted CGM. Obviously CBB did not understand the context. Having said that, I think CBB and CNS both are wusses. "I'm gonna take my ball and go home!" I say man up or get out. saban just wants to control the game with situational substitutions. The HUNH does not allow him to do this. I say: TOO BAD, MIDGET!

It's all posturing, guys. I think Ellis Johnson can help translate these critiques for us just as he translated his description of CGM's offense as a HS offense.

"Somebody give us some help. We can't stop this thing."

CNS & CBB don't like people to score on them. They are not comfortable trusting their offenses to win games. If they are forced to score points, it pushes them out of their comfort zones. Their players aren't the ones getting hurt. It's their pride.

It's safer for football players to be in good shape than being bloated run stoppers. Those huge guys die in their 40's and 50's.

I saw Tony Barnhart ask bielema, on CSS at their Media Days show tonight, about him having 330 lb. guys and maybe he should go to smaller faster guys. bielema saw where he was going with it and made a joke and started talking about how the kick-off rules had helped in lessening injuries and blah, blah, blah. If the O changes a player, the D gets a chance to substitute. How many drives, over three plays, does the O not substitute? I hope we hang 70 on them.

Bravo Gus ! I am sure there were guys not happy back in the day when wait......wait......wait......the freaking forward pass was introduced ! I am glad to see Gus not allow these "vets" to try and dictate rules that would benefit their programs.

War Eagle !

It's safer for football players to be in good shape than being bloated run stoppers. Those huge guys die in their 40's and 50's.

If the O changes a player, the D gets a chance to substitute. How many drives, over three plays, does the O not substitute? I hope we hang 70 on them.

somehow Belemia and Saban always leave this fact out. They whine about guys playing 5 or 15 plays in a row, but they get a chance to sub if the offense subs.

Gus got his back up a little on the numbnuts and his idea to try and slow do down the hurry up offense. I can't wait for that game. I hope Gus hangs 70 on his sorry azz. http://www.cbssports...ielema-responds

If we can't take Arky this year... well, I don't want to think about it.

This is funny to me...Saban comes from coaching under Bill Belichick and the Patriots frequently go to the hurry up offense. Bielema and Saban remain old school despite both the NFL and college games modernizing and trending towards widespread use of fast paced offenses. Bottom line is they don't like it because they can't figure out how to consistently stop it, and it goes against the style of football they like to play.

I agree with Gus. It's a joke that they are trying to claim it's a safety issue. They are just trying find anything to grasp onto so the rules will be changed in a favorable way to their philosophies. If they are so concerned about safety they could talk about cutting down on chop blocks, helmet to helmet, horse-collar tackles, etc. Instead of complaining so much about it maybe they should spend their time figuring out how to stop it without having to fake injuries. Look back to our NC game. The buildup before the game was all about how high scoring and fast-paced the game was going to be. The final score was 22-19. The hurry up can be stopped if you prepare for it (ex: getting in better shape, going to a smaller lineup, more frequent sub packages, etc.)

This complaining about no huddle football with spread offenses is like the complaining about fast break run and gun offenses in basketball. Some teams just couldn't complete against it.

Lots of those teams installed stall offenses tying to control the ball and run the clock down.

THe NBA was going out of business due to stall offenses and implemented the shot clock in 1954. 31 years later The NCAA implemented their shot clock rule.

College basketball would not be as popular is it with out the shot clock.

Some old football coaches should just move on to being TV color analysts......

Face it: Instead of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", Bielema and Saban are of the "If you can't beat 'em, change/bend the rules" school.

This is funny to me...Saban comes from coaching under Bill Belichick and the Patriots frequently go to the hurry up offense. Bielema and Saban remain old school despite both the NFL and college games modernizing and trending towards widespread use of fast paced offenses. Bottom line is they don't like it because they can't figure out how to consistently stop it, and it goes against the style of football they like to play.

I agree with Gus. It's a joke that they are trying to claim it's a safety issue. They are just trying find anything to grasp onto so the rules will be changed in a favorable way to their philosophies. If they are so concerned about safety they could talk about cutting down on chop blocks, helmet to helmet, horse-collar tackles, etc. Instead of complaining so much about it maybe they should spend their time figuring out how to stop it without having to fake injuries. Look back to our NC game. The buildup before the game was all about how high scoring and fast-paced the game was going to be. The final score was 22-19. The hurry up can be stopped if you prepare for it (ex: getting in better shape, going to a smaller lineup, more frequent sub packages, etc.)

Old benedict nick is up to his tricks again! If I remember correctly he tried to use some of our offense in 2010 in the first half of the iron bowl.

If sabben is so worried about player safety he should figure out how to stop his 330 pound defensive linemen from hitting defenseless qb's under the chin after a play is over. That is dangerous.

I agree with everyone, but let's not get carried away talking about how Saban can't stop it. A game or two hasn't really established that.

But Bielema's comment about how Auburn "may not be concerned about the defensive players but he's concerned about all the players on the field" was a very cheap shot. Classic "begging the question".

I sure hope we start a streak against Arky.

I was watching Biliema's time at the podium yesterday. Right before he went on his tirade about player safety and hurry up offenses he was talking about his physical practices. He talked about the LONG middle drills they ran in practice and how tired they were. He mentioned all the "hat on hat" banging they did over and over. What is the freaking difference between what he is doing in practice and tired players on defense versus a HUNH? First class hypocrite in my opinion and a lame excuse to get rid of the HUNH.

If ol Sabear is so worried about the "safety of the players", maybe he should stop running pick plays across the middle to get WR's open. Maybe he should start cracking down on his players for using PED's to bulk up to where they can bench press 800 pounds and run a 4.40 forty at 255lbs. Maybe he should just sit in front of that new waterfall in their locker room and STFU!

Tired of weeman trying to flex his tiny little muscles, expecting college football to adapt to HIM! It's getting pretty ridiculous. I bet the NCAA is having quite a dilema right now. Their golden child, weeman, wants to stop the very thing that makes college football exciting, and sells more tickets, which generates more money!!! Look at all the other sports. Baseball is pushing for faster play, in hopes that if you keep the pitcher from resting a minute or more between pitches, he'll give up more runs, making the game more exciting and giving the fans what they want. Same with the NBA. They have stopped calling the fundamental calls, like traveling, palming the ball, dragging/switching the pivot foot, etc. This is being done to promote faster play and higher scores. The NFL has begun to follow suit, and so will college football. People don't want to see 6-3 ball games anymore. They want high scoring, fast-paced, kick ass football, and that is why I am glad Auburn chose Gus to be our coach. We are planning for the future. Defense may win ballgames, but only if the offense of that team can still score points.

I agree with everyone, but let's not get carried away talking about how Saban can't stop it. A game or two hasn't really established that.

But Bielema's comment about how Auburn "may not be concerned about the defensive players but he's concerned about all the players on the field" was a very cheap shot. Classic "begging the question".

+1 To say that Saban can't stop a fast offense when his defenses are consistantly at the top of the league every year is silly. He has proven on the field, in the W-L column that he is currently one of the top 10 college coaches in the nation. Coaches of that caliber, along with many others i.e. Les Miles/Steve Spurrier/Mark Richt/Urban Meyer/Chip Kelly/Bob Stoops/Gary Patterson/Chris Peterson, etc. know how to adapt, evolve, and overcome. If they didn't, they wouldn't be at the level they are today.

Now back to Big Belly Bert, he is just trying desperately to push his agenda to slow down the inevitable onslaught that is headed his way this season. Arky has a BRUTAL schedule and he will ultimately face 3-4 HUNH offenses in his own conference OleMiss/AU/aTm along with big, strong, smashmouth teams like LSU/UAT/SoCarl/FLA - Bert has a long row to hoe and he has a shortage of quality defensive players, thanks to Harley Petrino ignoring the defensive side of the ball for years.

If ol Sabear is so worried about the "safety of the players", maybe he should stop running pick plays across the middle to get WR's open. Maybe he should start cracking down on his players for using PED's to bulk up to where they can bench press 800 pounds and run a 4.40 forty at 255lbs. Maybe he should just sit in front of that new waterfall in their locker room and STFU!

Tired of weeman trying to flex his tiny little muscles, expecting college football to adapt to HIM! It's getting pretty ridiculous. I bet the NCAA is having quite a dilema right now. Their golden child, weeman, wants to stop the very thing that makes college football exciting, and sells more tickets, which generates more money!!! Look at all the other sports. Baseball is pushing for faster play, in hopes that if you keep the pitcher from resting a minute or more between pitches, he'll give up more runs, making the game more exciting and giving the fans what they want. Same with the NBA. They have stopped calling the fundamental calls, like traveling, palming the ball, dragging/switching the pivot foot, etc. This is being done to promote faster play and higher scores. The NFL has begun to follow suit, and so will college football. People don't want to see 6-3 ball games anymore. They want high scoring, fast-paced, kick ass football, and that is why I am glad Auburn chose Gus to be our coach. We are planning for the future. Defense may win ballgames, but only if the offense of that team can still score points.

He knows Gus is an x's and o's coach that is very strategic! He remembers 09' and 10'! AtM put up 21 pts on his defense before the refs intervened! Imagine what Gus could do with a lot of talent, wow!!

interesting on what has been said about injuries....I guess these folks don't know much about the history of football when teams had very limited substitution and many people had to play both ways. This HUNH offense is causing injury is garbage because lets face it....if the defense is tired because they haven't been able to sub then wouldn't the offense also be tired because they were out there the same number of plays. Funny how that is never mentioned and the only difference? The offense has practiced at that speed....maybe the defenses of these coaches need to step it up and get in better shape for playing that long of a time in a row....

+1 To say that Saban can't stop a fast offense when his defenses are consistantly at the top of the league every year is silly. He has proven on the field, in the W-L column that he is currently one of the top 10 college coaches in the nation. Coaches of that caliber, along with many others i.e. Les Miles/Steve Spurrier/Mark Richt/Urban Meyer/Chip Kelly/Bob Stoops/Gary Patterson/Chris Peterson, etc. know how to adapt, evolve, and overcome. If they didn't, they wouldn't be at the level they are today.

Now back to Big Belly Bert, he is just trying desperately to push his agenda to slow down the inevitable onslaught that is headed his way this season. Arky has a BRUTAL schedule and he will ultimately face 3-4 HUNH offenses in his own conference OleMiss/AU/aTm along with big, strong, smashmouth teams like LSU/UAT/SoCarl/FLA - Bert has a long row to hoe and he has a shortage of quality defensive players, thanks to Harley Petrino ignoring the defensive side of the ball for years.

+1 Bielema was also whining in an 1 on 1 interview about the number of staff members some teams have over others in the SEC that affect recruiting. He stated to the affect that it should be regulated and equal across the board and if that were to happen "some" teams would loose 8-10+ staff members that assist with recruiting. Found it interesting his first year in the SEC and he's already complaining?!! Why not just stay at Wisconsin! SEC is big time football. He keeps that attitude...i give him 3 years before he's gone.

Archived