2012 4* WR Cayleb Jones (Arizona signee)

smuphy72wde

No, I just really believe that a new start needs to be at a new PLACE. When someone gets a divorce and is ready for a relationship, they don't hit up the ex-wife for a Round 2! No, you need a woman who doesn't know why your Ex took off in the middle of the night and took the dog with her! It's a New Day 64, having the players in the new dorm is going to make an incredible difference in the discipline department. Coaches and Staff will be able to keep tabs on guys.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I just really believe that a new start needs to be at a new PLACE. When someone gets a divorce and is ready for a relationship, they don't hit up the ex-wife for a Round 2! No, you need a woman who doesn't know why your Ex took off in the middle of the night and took the dog with her! It's a New Day 64, having the players in the new dorm is going to make an incredible difference in the discipline department. Coaches and Staff will be able to keep tabs on guys.

I agree on the dorm. As for who we recruit.....I graduated from AU many years ago and hold the school in very high regard and greatly value the reputation of the university. I hate to see us lowering standards for some students purely on the basis of their athletic ability. We do enough of it for academic shortcomings and it really gets to me when we start putting athletic potential at the top of the acceptance criteria.

I'm fine with second chances too but how many times do you think Gus or Barbee or Chiz heard one of their players say to them...."I'm sorry and I understand what I need to do ...and I'm going to do it"....only to eventually be shipped out. If the young man in question went to a Juco or whatever and proved himself for a season, that would be great.....but in this case, IMO, verbalized remorse and an "I'm sorry" isn't enough to gain the privilege of attending Auburn. I love the idea of "running back U"...but not so enthusiastic about "second chance U".

My apologies for my snarky comment above but this is just a hot button issue with me....I should know better....but guess I don't. :dunno:

That's pretty dang funny right there (and a very true statement)! :laugh: :laugh:

From what I read, he is a teenage guy that got in a fight over a girl. He was not carrying a gun, he was not drunk in public, he did not resist arrest, he did not commit theft - sounds like an emotional transgression. That's a lot different than engrained negative behavior to me. If the coaches review the situation closely and feel it is not a pattern of negative behavior, then I trust their judgment.

I agree on the dorm. As for who we recruit.....I graduated from AU many years ago and hold the school in very high regard and greatly value the reputation of the university. I hate to see us lowering standards for some students purely on the basis of their athletic ability. We do enough of it for academic shortcomings and it really gets to me when we start putting athletic potential at the top of the acceptance criteria.

I'm fine with second chances too but how many times do you think Gus or Barbee or Chiz heard one of their players say to them...."I'm sorry and I understand what I need to do ...and I'm going to do it"....only to eventually be shipped out. If the young man in question went to a Juco or whatever and proved himself for a season, that would be great.....but in this case, IMO, verbalized remorse and an "I'm sorry" isn't enough to gain the privilege of attending Auburn. I love the idea of "running back U"...but not so enthusiastic about "second chance U".

My apologies for my snarky comment above but this is just a hot button issue with me....I should know better....but guess I don't. :dunno:

64 - No apology is warranted by you my friend. I have a different take on this than most. No need for details but I tried making a new start more than once and it only worked when I completely cut ties with everyone and everywhere associated with my past. I can assure you nobody will ever change unless they WANT TO! That is where the coaches come in. How many times have recruits referred to our current staff as "Mentor" or "Big Brother". I see big things in AU's future.

From what I read, he is a teenage guy that got in a fight over a girl. He was not carrying a gun, he was not drunk in public, he did not resist arrest, he did not commit theft - sounds like an emotional transgression. That's a lot different than engrained negative behavior to me. If the coaches review the situation closely and feel it is not a pattern of negative behavior, then I trust their judgment.

^^^This^^^. Dude punched a guy over a girl...happens all the time and a lot of us have probably been in similar situations before. I'm not saying to pat him on the back for it, but let's look at it with a little common sense guys. If we're being completely honest, I think what NM did was much worse.

I'd love to have that kind of talent on the team, but there's a lot of talent already. If the coaches want him, cool. If they decide not to pursue him, that's fine too.

My apologies for my snarky comment above but this is just a hot button issue with me....I should know better....but guess I don't. :dunno:/>

if Dyer was suiting for practice #2 today. I would see what you mean but a YOUNG man needs to get away from girlfriend drama and just focus on his future,,? Sign him up in my book. This guy is not a threat

I skipped a few pages so I don't know for sure, but what I did read didn't seem to indicate that he had an interesting us in particular. Am I wrong?

From what I've read, he has said he really likes coaches Malzahn, Craig and Lashlee and he likes coach Malzahn's offense.

I skipped a few pages so I don't know for sure, but what I did read didn't seem to indicate that he had an interesting us in particular. Am I wrong?

Yes. See my last post on page 1.

My apologies for my snarky comment above but this is just a hot button issue with me....I should know better....but guess I don't. :dunno:/>

if Dyer was suiting for practice #2 today. I would see what you mean but a YOUNG man needs to get away from girlfriend drama and just focus on his future,,? Sign him up in my book. This guy is not a threat

+1

Is there some sort of time table for his decision?

I doubt it. He just started the process.

Thanks. Obviously he has talent and if he does come to Auburn, he won't be the first or last troubled player to come to auburn for a fresh start.

Is there some sort of time table for his decision?

I doubt it. He just started the process.

Thanks. Obviously he has talent and if he does come to Auburn, he won't be the first or last troubled player to come to auburn for a fresh start.

pass

I say give him a shot. Explain in no uncertain terms however, that he MUST stay out of trouble.

I think I was told the same thing when I started Auburn 25 years ago.

I say give him a shot. Explain in no uncertain terms however, that he MUST stay out of trouble.

I'm sure that this is told to ALL incoming freshment and new players. Some just don't understand it and some, in the past, may have gotten by with some things. Hopefully a NEW DAY has come to the Plains.

If we were stocked with 5* athletes I would say pass just to keep team chemistry and moral for guys that signed with us. We are not in that position yet IMO.

If Auburn takes a chance on Cayleb and he injures an Auburn student in a future assault, then the university could be liable. I would rather have Micheal Dyer back with the drug problems than get a violent offender.

If Auburn takes a chance on Cayleb and he injures an Auburn student in a future assault, then the university could be liable. I would rather have Micheal Dyer back with the drug problems than get a violent offender.

Really?

Serious?

So the university would never enroll a student that had a previous run in with the law?

Man that's rich!

Very unlikely.

Archived