2012 4* WR Cayleb Jones (Arizona signee)

smuphy72wde

Meh, so he punched a guy. Without knowing the circumstances I'm not going to judge him one way or the other. I've wanted to punch a bunch of people. If he was beating his girlfriend or selling crack then I would have a problem. Just seems like a great chance at a great receiver to me...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I checked assault didn't carry a life sentence, so we shouldn't be giving him one. If we don't give kids a chance to show they've learned and can behave responsibly we're setting them up for a lifetime of failure. Sitting out a year because he has to transfer will give him plenty of time to reflect. I say we recruit him, but let him know he will be on a very short leash. Our coaches should also call Emory and his Dad to get references.

I agree.

Does anybody know the full story ? There are varying degrees of assault from a push to many punches and everything in between. As far as being offered is concerned, I think this.

If Gus meets with him then does his due diligence and is satisfied in his own mind that the player won't be a negative influence on the team in any way when he sits out, then I would back Gus. But the negative influence part is important imo. In thinking about it, sitting out that year is probably going to be the tougher test since it will likely be harder for him to do that and not get in trouble, than the other way around. It would be a fairly good indicator.

Is he transferring because he was kicked off at Texas or for some other reason?

Texas was going to suspend him for the first game but he transferred out to avoid the suspension.

Not enough information here in order to make a decision. I would not think a one game suspension by Texas would indicate that we should eliminate him from consideration.

Texas was going to suspend him for the first game but he transferred out to avoid the suspension.

Wow. Interesting. Seems a bit rash to leave after a one game suspension.

I'd vote yes. Truth be told I would be more likely to give a guy a chance that got in a fight versus stealing from teammates

From what I read, he does not even have an offer from AU, so until that happens it appears the coaches are either hesitant to get him due to his past (no matter how good or bad) or are pleased with the Wide Outs we currently have.

If Caylab picks to transfer to Auburn, then coach Malzahn, coach Craig and Bro. Chette needs to sit down with him and help him.

Perhaps he realized he needed to get away from his ex and the Canadian Tennis player he punched, because of the ex. Distance is sometimes the best medicine in regards to a woman.

Not enough information here in order to make a decision. I would not think a one game suspension by Texas would indicate that we should eliminate him from consideration.

^^This^^. There is simply not enough information to make any sort of rational statement at this time. Like others have said, an assault charge can be a very serious matter or it can really be pretty minor- I've yet to read any specifics on his situation. I do know Gus will have the facts so I'm good with whatever he's feeling. I'd love to have a 5* WR as much as anybody as long as its not going to be a disruption to the program and the new start being built

I want to fight tennis players as well, so I feel his pain. See who he is and then yea, let him on the team. He is young and young does stupid things. Second chances, and any friend of EB is a friend of mine.

I am the QB at Teas A&M and I am just a 20 year old kid....I do stupid things....I make mistakes,.... But you have to remember I am just a 20 year old kid!!!

just food for thought ...

Maybe the incident was trully very minor ... Texas coaches waaaaaaaay overreact and give entirely too harsh a judgement with the suspension (and whatever else was said/done behind closed doors) ...

Kid feels jilted by the coaches and says I don't want to be at a program that treats you this way and leaves.

This is as plausible as any other scenario.

way to turn a one game suspension into a 1 year suspension.

^^ This ^^

Exactly what I was thinking.

^^ This ^^

Well, he also gets to walk around campus from now until he graduates as "that guy that beat up the tennis player". I think I would choose the new start too.

^^ This ^^

maybe he wants to get away and enjoy college. Away from his ex-girlfriend that is.

just food for thought ...

Maybe the incident was trully very minor ... Texas coaches waaaaaaaay overreact and give entirely too harsh a judgement with the suspension (and whatever else was said/done behind closed doors) ...

Kid feels jilted by the coaches and says I don't want to be at a program that treats you this way and leaves.

This is as plausible as any other scenario.

Or maybe it was a "beat down" assault that was unprovoked and as a first time offender the charges were reduced. The coaches could not suspend for more than a game given the light nature of the charges.

Either way, we just do not know the details as one poster mentioned.

Its not really a big deal. If Gus gives him a second chance (like dyer) he will have an entire year away from the playing field to either prove himself or get himself kicked off the team.

... Its not really a big deal. If Gus gives him a second chance (like dyer) he will have an entire year away from the playing field to either prove himself or get himself kicked off the team.

↑ this ↑

Just give him a really short leash. He'll have a long time to prove himself, and with just one mistake we get a scholly back.

Last time I checked assault didn't carry a life sentence, so we shouldn't be giving him one. If we don't give kids a chance to show they've learned and can behave responsibly we're setting them up for a lifetime of failure. Sitting out a year because he has to transfer will give him plenty of time to reflect. I say we recruit him, but let him know he will be on a very short leash. Our coaches should also call Emory and his Dad to get references.

I agree.

If "life sentence or not" is the new benchmark, the bar has now been lowered a couple miles for AU football. Sounds more like FSU. Agree we don't know all the facts re Caleb yet though.

Archived