2012 4* WR Cayleb Jones (Arizona signee)

smuphy72wde

IMO we should at least give him a chance to talk with Gus, Rhett, and maybe D. Craig, whether that is in person or just a telephone call. People make mistakes, and hopefully we learn from those mistakes. We may not extend an offer to him, but IMO we shouldn't automatically deny him one either. If it were me, I would talk to Cayleb and his family and make my decision based off of my talk with them.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say yes...

If we can give Cam Newton and Nick Marshall a second chance... I don't see the difference.

To me at least the difference is that Cam and Nick went to a Juco...kept themselves out trouble and "earned' the right to be considered for an AU scholarhip.

I sure would hate to see us become a re-hab center for everyone's problem children. That's the one thing I worry about with Gus....he seems to be pretty tolerant of misbehaving players if they look like they can contribute. Surely there are enough talented prospects without AU having to accept guys who have yet to prove that they are beyond their youthful indescretions.

Everyone should get a 2nd chance. I remember when coaches Tuberville and Chizik would give some of our own players 2nd and even 3rd chances. It looks like Louisville may take Michael Dyer. Should he get a 2nd chance?

Everyone should get a 2nd chance. I remember when coaches Tuberville and Chizik would give some of our own players 2nd and even 3rd chances. It looks like Louisville may take Michael Dyer. Should he get a 2nd chance?

TBH, this is more than MD's 2nd chance... Gus gave him a 2nd chance last year at Arky State, and when he got in trouble, he kicked his butt off the team. This is at least MD's 3rd if not 4th chance.

I think the real question here is, what did that tennis player do to set this fine, christian, young man off? ;D

^^^THIS^^^ Those tennis players can be meanies.

I say yes...

If we can give Cam Newton and Nick Marshall a second chance... I don't see the difference.

To me at least the difference is that Cam and Nick went to a Juco...kept themselves out trouble and "earned' the right to be considered for an AU scholarhip.

I sure would hate to see us become a re-hab center for everyone's problem children. That's the one thing I worry about with Gus....he seems to be pretty tolerant of misbehaving players if they look like they can contribute. Surely there are enough talented prospects without AU having to accept guys who have yet to prove that they are beyond their youthful indescretions.

I don't completely agree. Gus does give a lot of people 2nd chances (Cam, NM, Dyer) but I don't think that there is evidence that he was tolerant of misbehaving players (I may very well be wrong here, if I am, please forgive me).

For example, Dyer was kicked out of AU, and followed Gus to Arky State. There, he got in trouble again, and Gus kicked him out. To me, that shows a willingness to give a second chance (because, come on, who hasn't done something stupid in their life that got them in trouble?) but an unwillingness to tolerate any further misbehavior.

I say yes...

I don't completely agree. Gus does give a lot of people 2nd chances (Cam, NM, Dyer) but I don't think that there is evidence that he was tolerant of misbehaving players (I may very well be wrong here, if I am, please forgive me).

For example, Dyer was kicked out of AU, and followed Gus to Arky State. There, he got in trouble again, and Gus kicked him out. To me, that shows a willingness to give a second chance (because, come on, who hasn't done something stupid in their life that got them in trouble?) but an unwillingness to tolerate any further misbehavior.

+1

There is a HUGE difference between a violent assault and whatever Cam or Marshall did. Not sure why some of you are trying to lump them in together as basically the same thing. It's not even close.

I would say yes to signing him depending on some circumstances.

I have been arrested for assault two times in my lifetime. The last time was when an 17 year old told my wife to shut the F up and get back in the house. He did this while standing in my own yard. Much to his displeasure, I arrived home from work within moments and he was still standing in my yard mouthing off.

There is a HUGE difference between a violent assault and whatever Cam or Marshall did. Not sure why some of you are trying to lump them in together as basically the same thing. It's not even close.

Stealing is just as bad in my book. I am not saying take Jones but I am saying he is not automatically worse than when Cam and Nick committed their crimes.

I say yes...

Dyer was nothing but trouble. Good running back, but had much love for the dope.

I think the real question here is, what did that tennis player do to set this fine, christian, young man off? ;D

He was stooping Caleb's Volleyball ex-girlfriend. Who hasn't gone a little rabid over a female at least once in their lives?

TBH, this is more than MD's 2nd chance... Gus gave him a 2nd chance last year at Arky State, and when he got in trouble, he kicked his butt off the team. This is at least MD's 3rd if not 4th chance.

My comment relates to Mike Dyer...who knows how many chances he had at AU...sat out parts of games with no explanation until he finally was gone. I have to believe that the reason he got so many chances was Gus and of course Eric Smith had a number of "stumbles" before he was finally gone.

CJ might be a nice young man who lost his temper but why do we need him in particular? Is this the only WR prospect out there? On the other hand, if he wants to do like Cam and Nick...go the Juco route for a year, prove he can control his behavior and then wants to look at AU...I'm OK with that. AU has had more than it's share of thuggish behavior in the past several years and I can't see why anyone wants to place a bet on this kid.

My comment relates to Mike Dyer...who knows how many chances he had at AU...sat out parts of games with no explanation until he finally was gone. I have to believe that the reason he got so many chances was Gus and of course Eric Smith had a number of "stumbles" before he was finally gone.

CJ might be a nice young man who lost his temper but why do we need him in particular? Is this the only WR prospect out there? On the other hand, if he wants to do like Cam and Nick...go the Juco route for a year, prove he can control his behavior and then wants to look at AU...I'm OK with that. AU has had more than it's share of thuggish behavior in the past several years and I can't see why anyone wants to place a bet on this kid.

My point was that I don't think we should make a snap judgement on him. Yes, he made a mistake. Did he have any history of violence? Has he been in trouble before? When talking to him, is he well spoken? Driven? I don't know one way or another, but I'd hate for us to not even look at him simply because he made one bad decision. People can change (I know I certainly have). I agree that if he is a thug, he doesn't belong here, but I don't know that he is a thug. For many of these kids, this is the first time that they have any kind of structure. The youth culutre nowadays glorifies breaking the rules, getting into fights, and drugs. If Malzahn and this staff can get/keep these kids on the right track and help them get a college degree, then I say we try and do that. But, I also believe that these kids are responsible; if they screw up, they're out. No more 3rd and 4th chances.

On MD- Because Malzahn wasn't the HC, I don't know that he could kick him off the team. Most of the time, I would think that such issues are handled by the HC while the OC handles preparing his offense for the next game, coming up with game plans, etc. When Gus moved to Arky State, I imagine that he gave Dyer an ultimatum- either he stayed out of trouble, or he was off of the team. Dyer couldn't do that, and was punished accordingly.

As much as we like to make everybody mistake, bad decision, downfall, goof-up etc....the same they are not. Each individual situation has its own circumstances. Its important for the individual to first accept responsibility and have the desire to change to be a better person before anyone else can help them. I trust CGM will make the right decision according to Mr. Jones situation and his attitude towards life choices.

As much as we like to make everybody mistake, bad decision, downfall, goof-up etc....the same they are not. Each individual situation has its own circumstances. Its important for the individual to first accept responsibility and have the desire to change to be a better person before anyone else can help them. I trust CGM will make the right decision according to Mr. Jones situation and his attitude towards life choices.

+1

I say yes...

^^^Bingo! They had to humble themselves.

100% Agree!

I say yes...

Well if he transfers UT to AU he'll have to sit out a year anyway, yes? So we get to see for at least a year if he's a good citizen going forward or not, yes?

I say yes...

Well if he transfers UT to AU he'll have to sit out a year anyway, yes? So we get to see for at least a year if he's a good citizen going forward or not, yes?

But possibly wasting a scholarship if he doesn't pan out. I agree with AU64 in that NM and Cam went through a "probation" period in JUCO to prove themselves. The kid may turn out to be fine and i hope he does; it was just one mistake but I feel like we would be best served using the scholarship on a H.S. WR or another position.

Last time I checked assault didn't carry a life sentence, so we shouldn't be giving him one. If we don't give kids a chance to show they've learned and can behave responsibly we're setting them up for a lifetime of failure. Sitting out a year because he has to transfer will give him plenty of time to reflect. I say we recruit him, but let him know he will be on a very short leash. Our coaches should also call Emory and his Dad to get references.

Archived