Stock Piling Jr College Players

bikeriderga

I think the coaches are also trying to get separation between classes. The only JR. we will have on the roster that has even been mentioned as a contributor is Bradley & Harrell on the DL, Holsey & Jones at DB, and Frost, McKinzy & maybe Swain at LB.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is pretty obvious we need football players. Gus is trying ot build us up as fast as possible.

I have no problem with taking top Juco talent. Our last juco players seemed to work out nicely.

One thing that Gus preaches is recruiting the right players for his system. It seems to me that while Chizik and Co did bring in very highly rated players, not all of those players fit into our system as well as others might have. On the flip side, Gus goes after players based not only on their rating, but also based off of how he thinks that he can develop them. I will use Sean White and Tyler Queen as examples; many people (not necessarily people "in the know" or people on AUF, just general football fans) think that Gus's O is most effective when run by a Dual Threat QB; however, Gus knows that the most crucial part of playing QB is the throwing motion and the ability to find the open reciever. A good throwing motion makes a QB more accurate, and the ability to read allows him to use that accuracy to make a play. SW does not have a huge arm or incredible running ability, but he does have tremendous accuracy. Gus knows that once he gets on campus, S&C will take care of SW's arm strength and 40 time, but the throwing motion and the 6 inches between the ears is the really important part.

Yes, Cam was a great runner, but he also had tremendous arm strength, and accuracy, as well as being able to make a play. The combination of those is what made him great.

Yes, Cam was a great runner, but he also had tremendous arm strength, and accuracy, as well as being able to make a play. The combination of those is what made him great.

This + a veteran oline.

If we see improved execution from the oline and the dline, we will see improvement all over the field. A QB has to be able to trust the big guys up front to protect him, the big guys up front can't be what stands in the way of moving the ball down the field. i.e. penalties by the line stunt offensive production

Gus and Company are going after quite a few Jr College Payers, more than usual. There can only be two reasons why.

Upsides and Reasons for Jr College Recruits

1. Need experienced talent immediately

Given that a has gaps to fill. Even though Chizik and staff did well on the recruiting scene, it certainly did not translate to wins, although as we all know, coaching was certainly sub-par last year.

2. Looking for immediate results

Gus and company have said and these recruiting actions certainly back it up that they want to put Auburn back to winning ways. This is a good short term strategy to get us there. Jr College players have experience playing with better than HS competition.

Downsides

1. Many Jr College players will have only one or two seasons to play.

If they are outstanding (like Wide Receiver talent, D'Haquille Williams), they may only play one year.

2. If the Jr College transfers only have two years to play at most, depth will suffer soon.

The challenge will be to recruit longer term players while filling immediate needs.

Your thoughts?

I don't think that Auburn is bringing in an excessive amount of JC players. Not unusual to seee SEC teams pull 3 to 5 JC players per year. Most of bama's DTs are usually JC talent. War Eagle

Since Bama is the Gold Standard right now we have to go by their stats for the last 6 classes. Other than the 2011 class they never signed more than 1 juco per year. They signed 4 in 2011. There are a couple of years they did not sign any. So I would say anything more than 3 on a yearly basis after things get rolling would be unusual for championship caliber football.

I would think it's because they saw a very under-developed roster (physically & fundamentally) and knew they needed bodies further along to be competitive now. If Gus is to do it the right way, this # should trend downward after this class.

These coaches know what it will take to get AUBURN back wins. Wins equal having talent and coaching. I think they are trying to get there in a hurry.

This + a veteran oline.

If we see improved execution from the oline and the dline, we will see improvement all over the field. A QB has to be able to trust the big guys up front to protect him, the big guys up front can't be what stands in the way of moving the ball down the field. i.e. penalties by the line stunt offensive production

Agreed. The battle in the trenches is what can win or lose you games.

Archived