2013 Fall Camp - Practice 11 & Fan Day (Sun, Aug 11)

TrentonTiger

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC Ellis Johnson opines on the scrimmage yesterday at this morning's practice ...

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson on scrimmage: "Playing a lot of young guys and held critical guys out we weren't concerned about"

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson on young players in scrimmage: "They've got a long ways to go."

Jake Holland has the edge at inside linebacker, says Auburn D-coordinator Ellis Johnson

@AUGoldMine

Johnson on scrimmage: "Overall, the big picture, everything improved." He said offense improved as well.

Johnson said Sunday's post-practice scrimmage was basically a review day.

Johnson said Jake Holland has had 2 very good scrimmages, "has the edge at that starting spot" over Kris Frost. Other LBs "inconsistent."

EJ: "It's as much Jake's improvement as it is anything Kris did." He said Frost is playing same as spring, while Holland has gotten better.

Two starting CBs (Chris Davis, Jonathon Mincy) didn't play Saturday. In their place, Johnson said freshman Kamryn Melton looked good.

Johnson said Justin Garrett was either stepped on or kicked Saturday (left foot). He said "I don't have any idea" of his long-term status.

Johnson called Garrett an impact player: "I don't think any team in country could lose one of their impact players and not have issues."

Johnson said "overall play has elevated" with quarterbacks. Couldn't go into specifics. Primarily because he's the defensive coordinator.

@AUBlog

Goal of overinstallation: "There's only so much fundamentals you can work" w/o pads, so team tries to put in as many schemes as possible.

Johnson says he's under the impression that safety Demetruce McNeal will finally be back on the field this week. Wouldn't say for certain.

@wareagleextra

Only Ellis Johnson today. Says yesterday's scrimmage was a lot of young guys, held a lot of starters out.

Ellis Johnson said all mistakes went out, that's penalties, lack of finish, penalties and more

Johnson: "Big picture everything improved."

Johnson says Flowers, Owens, Mitchell all behind Cassanova McKinzy at WLB

Johnson says Justin Garrett "could not push" off left foot, might have been stepped on, no idea on long term

Johnson is just not sure of Garrett's severity, unaware doesn't mean it's automatically serious, just not sure yet

Johnson says Demetruce McNeal recovery is "so far really good. It was an infection and it's slowly getting better."

@JamesCrepea

Johnson said the DL was a little better in the 2nd scrimmage.

Johnson said they worked on 2nd-and-long in today's practice. He said the defense went back today and repped some of the packages they've put in the last several days.

Johnson said Jermaine Whitehead had a good scrimmage and is "always good." He said CB Kamryn Melton has improved and had a good beginning of the scrimmage.

Johnson said Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel are holding up physically and are on track to play this year. Still developing.

Johnson said Ben Bradley has improved at DT and is fighting for a starting position.

via @BMatt247 / http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Ellis-Johnson-quick-notes-20504689/1 (Free Content)

Looking forward to seeing the best fans in college football today at #AUFanDay ! War Eagle!

@CoachGusMalzahn

The lines outside the Auburn Arena to Coach Malzahn and the starters are what I would call long. Doors to #AUFanDay open in ten minutes.

@WarBlogle

Sadly my sources were right about the LB spots. SMH. How is it that Jake misses most of spring but still passes Frost?

Sadly my sources were right about the LB spots. SMH. How is it that Jake misses most of spring but still passes Frost?

Wow!! Please don't let this be a repeat of terrible tackleing!!

Roll call on fan day today... Who all is here? I brought my daughters for the first time. Hot but we are having fun!

That's why they call it fan day. Did you bring yours?

Can't feel bad... Frost has had his chances. Not sure why it's not clicking...?

That's what i don't understand either...why it's not clicking for him. However, i'm not getting too down. I think with the first two games it could give someone like Frost a chance to ramp up, understand the position and schemes better to have a chance to take over the position. Game experience overides everything else and there is nothing like live action. I think he will get some chances the first two games but he has to make the most of it for sure.

The fans are here! #FanDay

@cjuzomah81

Fan Day #WDE BEST FANS

@JustinGarrett26

Other schools have Fans. We have Family. They make this place Great.‪#‎WarDamnEagle

Nosa Eguae

Fan day!! Best fans ever! #AU

@NoFlyZoneMelt (Kamryn Melton)

Its family day!!! #WDE

@NineORhino (Gabe Wright)

The best Fans in college history. WarDamn #AU

@CToney47 (Cameron Toney)

Off to fan day love our fans!! #bestinthenation

@GregRobinson73

Fan day at Auburn baby!!! Best fans in the land!! WAR EAGLE!!!

@2Ruly_Blessed89 (Jaylon Denson)

Let the fun begin #fanday

@]Dismukes50

Wow!! Please don't let this be a repeat of terrible tackleing!!

Hope not. Maybe Jake is not as bad as we think or maybe Frost is just not a good practice player but more of a gamer. I don't know. Everybody's tackling was horrible last year. I hope Frost gets some decent play in the first two games so that EJ can make a better determination going forward.

Can't feel bad... Frost has had his chances. Not sure why it's not clicking...?

That's what i don't understand either...why it's not clicking for him. However, i'm not getting too down. I think with the first two games it could give someone like Frost a chance to ramp up, understand the position and schemes better to have a chance to take over the position. Game experience overides everything else and there is nothing like live action. I think he will get some chances the first two games but he has to make the most of it for sure.

It's getting puzzling regarding Frost and the mental part of the game. He is a superior physical talent and we are 25 practices into this scheme. This stuff is not rocket science.

Archived