Practice (Thur, Aug. 22)

RunInRed

Catching up on Thursday's news and notes ...

via Auburn Athletics

Malzahn said defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson will be in the booth. Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee will be on sideline.

Malzahn said that Frazier is "in the mix" at safety and that he's getting "more and more comfortable" each day. Good chance he'll play.

Malzahn said that Tunde Fariyike remains Reese Dismukes' backup at center.

Malzahn said "quite a few" freshmen will see playing time next week. Hopes to figure out exact number at some point next week.

Malzahn said that the "Air Raid" offense of Washington State is "very dissimilar" to what Auburn's offensive scheme.

Hybrid safety/linebacker Justin Garrett was back at practice today, Malzahn said.

@wareagleextra

Johnson in the box? Has he always coached from the box?

I read that while he spent some time on the sideline at USCe, most of his career has been in the box.

I read that while he spent some time on the sideline at USCe, most of his career has been in the box.

With Garner and Coach Cheese on the sidelines, Coach Johnson can get a birds eye view from the booth, and leave the motivation/ass-chewing/celebrations to his assistants. Surprised to see Lashlee on the sidelines, but he and Malzahn obviously have a good thing going, so why change it.

Can't wait to see our boys in action!!! War Damn Eagle!

It seems to me Gus would rather be anywhere but there answering questions. I appreciate the no nonsense answers. Very refreshing

I agree that he was trying to devote as little time as possible to the presser. I wish I had detected a little more happiness, but I think he's carrying quite a burden right now and seems to be feeling the pressure. It was interesting to me that a reporter asked him a question about being blessed to be where he is, and I wonder if that was an attempt to brighten his mood. This is one of those situations where we all know he has problems to deal with, and expectations are probably at an unreasonably high level, but we're all on his team and rooting for him. You just hope he knows that.

It seems to me Gus would rather be anywhere but there answering questions. I appreciate the no nonsense answers. Very refreshing

Reminds me of the video of Bo answering questions "What're your goals this year?" "To have the shortest press conference ever."

Contrast and compare Gus to the mayor of munchkinland......We are BLESSED. :wareagle:

Dameyune is in the box, right? I seem to remember in one of Lashlee's first pressers where he said he prefers to be on the field to talk to his QBs face to face, and (I could have imagined this) I thought he also said it would be a big advantage to have another former QB working in the booth to provide a different view. Anyone remember this?

Dameyune is in the box, right? I seem to remember in one of Lashlee's first pressers where he said he prefers to be on the field to talk to his QBs face to face, and (I could have imagined this) I thought he also said it would be a big advantage to have another former QB working in the booth to provide a different view. Anyone remember this?

I remember the Lashlee on the sideline part. And the other part definitely makes sense. Plus since he's receivers coach he will be better able to work with/see who is running correct routes and to help make adjustments getting a big picture bird's eye kind of view.

Yes, Craig will be in the box.

I agree that he was trying to devote as little time as possible to the presser. I wish I had detected a little more happiness, but I think he's carrying quite a burden right now and seems to be feeling the pressure. It was interesting to me that a reporter asked him a question about being blessed to be where he is, and I wonder if that was an attempt to brighten his mood. This is one of those situations where we all know he has problems to deal with, and expectations are probably definitely at an unreasonably high level, but we're all on his team and rooting for him. You just hope he knows that.

From what I've read on this board, except for a reasonable few, fan expectations are riding sky-high right out the gate. It's okay to be enthusiastic about the start of a new football season, but let's take it down a 1000. Auburn has a new staff which has never collectively coached a game together and these are mostly the same players that went 3-9 last season. We have a QB who has never thrown a pass in the SEC and a very green receiving corp. The defense couldn't knock over a feather last year. Everyone expects improvement, but more than 8 wins is REALLY asking a lot. Malzahn is very likely the hardest-working coach in football already, so let's temper our expectations a little before we give him a heart attack. We are still in a rebuilding phase and there will be growing pains. Let's just enjoy a new season of Auburn football and hope we are competitive in every game, which we haven't been on an every game basis the previous two seasons.

I like him being in the box. It's a much better view, not only seeing what they are doing on O, but also what we are doing on D. He can communicate with every position coach and get things ironed out with them.

I agree that he was trying to devote as little time as possible to the presser. I wish I had detected a little more happiness, but I think he's carrying quite a burden right now and seems to be feeling the pressure. It was interesting to me that a reporter asked him a question about being blessed to be where he is, and I wonder if that was an attempt to brighten his mood. This is one of those situations where we all know he has problems to deal with, and expectations are probably definitely at an unreasonably high level, but we're all on his team and rooting for him. You just hope he knows that.

From what I've read on this board, except for a reasonable few, fan expectations are riding sky-high right out the gate. It's okay to be enthusiastic about the start of a new football season, but let's take it down a 1000. Auburn has a new staff which has never collectively coached a game together and these are mostly the same players that went 3-9 last season. We have a QB who has never thrown a pass in the SEC and a very green receiving corp. The defense couldn't knock over a feather last year. Everyone expects improvement, but more than 8 wins is REALLY asking a lot. Malzahn is very likely the hardest-working coach in football already, so let's temper our expectations a little before we give him a heart attack. We are still in a rebuilding phase and there will be growing pains. Let's just enjoy a new season of Auburn football and hope we are competitive in every game, which we haven't been on an every game basis the previous two seasons.

Well said jack!

I have seen people stating NM is the best QB in the SEC. Some have said he is the best QB in the nation. The same goes for lofty team goals. There is nothing wrong with hope. Expectations are a far different thing than hope though. We have a great staff. I wouldn't trade them for any other in the nation. We have some talent. We could use more depth in certain areas and I am sure our staff is working on that through recruiting. All I want to see is a team that competes for four quarters every game. I want to see a team that improves from week to week. If I get those things, I believe this season will be a success.

Well said jack!

I have seen people stating NM is the best QB in the SEC. Some have said he is the best QB in the nation. The same goes for lofty team goals. There is nothing wrong with hope. Expectations are a far different thing than hope though. We have a great staff. I wouldn't trade them for any other in the nation. We have some talent. We could use more depth in certain areas and I am sure our staff is working on that through recruiting. All I want to see is a team that competes for four quarters every game. I want to see a team that improves from week to week. If I get those things, I believe this season will be a success.

Nick Marshall the best QB in the SEC and/or the nation?

you-serious-clark-o.gif

Well said jack!

you-serious-clark-o.gif

http://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/132637-whose-the-best-qb-in-the-fbs-currently/

Well said jack!

you-serious-clark-o.gif

http://www.aufamily....-fbs-currently/

I know what you're referencing, I just don't see where you can even make an argument. Murray and Manziel. Next.

Johnson in the box reminds me of those Big Johnson tee-shitrs. Ha ha. Are those things still around??? (Slow Friday at the office!)

The offensive line returns four starters, the defensive line returns three, sixteen projected starters are upperclassmen, and every offensive player was recruited specifically to run this offense. On top of that, the schedule sets up nicely, because the first two games should be relatively easy and give the team some time to work out the kinks. So it's not like there are no high points.

Now, I think 8-4 is a reasonable prediction, and I agree that it is the best we should be expecting, but I think expecting 6-6 is just as off a prediction as 10-2. That's not to say either one is impossible, rather that there are enough good signs that such pessimism from fans is a bit disheartening.

With Garner and Coach Cheese on the sidelines, Coach Johnson can get a birds eye view from the booth, and leave the motivation/ass-chewing/celebrations to his assistants. Surprised to see Lashlee on the sidelines, but he and Malzahn obviously have a good thing going, so why change it.

Can't wait to see our boys in action!!! War Damn Eagle!

Apparently, and according to one article that I read, Lashlee started out in the box last year at Arky State, but when Oregon jumped out to a 50-10 lead in the first half he moved back down to the field and stayed there the rest of the year. Looks like it worked pretty well for he and Gus the rest of the year, so no surprise that it will continue this year. Fwiw, I also read that it will only be Lashlee and Gus on the headsets, and that Gus will have final say on all of the O playcalls.

It is one thing to appear detached,short or in a hurry to get on back to work at times. God knows I do my wife like that when she is bugging me with questions that I don't want to answer because I don't know any more than I did the last time she asked. As long as gus don't act an a**hole to the media for doing their job like saban does I can live with it. I guess that is one thing chizik was good with is he was always respectful in front of the camera. always a solid practice.

Archived