How close were we...

jvilletiger

To seeing Jeremy Johnson last night? Malzahn looked like he was channeling his inner Steve Superior a few times. You could clearly tell he wasn't happy with his QB's performance.

I think Marshall did ok. He and Wallace missed wide open deep throws, but he was nailing the WRs in the chest on those crossing routes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To seeing Jeremy Johnson last night? Malzahn looked like he was channeling his inner Steve Superior a few times. You could clearly tell he wasn't happy with his QB's performance.

I think Marshall did ok. He and Wallace missed wide open deep throws, but he was nailing the WRs in the chest on those crossing routes.

Didn't even enter Coach Malzahn's head. Wallace would have been the first off the bench if Marshall did not settle down. I applaud Coach for giving Marshall the latitude and time to settle down. He was a different QB the second half.

Marshall is a good QB, he was just too jacked up. That game, if he hadn't had three overthrows combined with the overthrow by Wallace on the trick play, would have been a blowout. There were about 21-28 points left on the field. Once Nick settles in, it will get much better.

Marshall is a good QB, he was just too jacked up. That game, if he hadn't had three overthrows combined with the overthrow by Wallace on the trick play, would have been a blowout. There were about 21-28 points left on the field. Once Nick settles in, it will get much better.

Thats not even counting the dropped passes of stonehand Louis..lol.

A lot of Marshall's missed passes (like the one to Sammie Coates near the student section) weren't overthrown, but something happened so that the receiver was too far behind. On the Coates play, it was that Coates slipped and Marshall either didn't see it or had already thrown the ball.

I think that Marshall was very jacked up, but he did show a lot of the escapability that Gus was talking about. I have a feeling he will be improved during the 2nd game next week, and I also have a feeling that he will be running the ball more.

Thats not even counting the dropped passes of stonehand Louis..lol.

Man no doubt. He had a game to forget.

I think also the WRs aren't used to the ball being right there as soon as they make their cuts. Marshall has a cannon for an arm! I couldn't believe how strong his arm is. Hopefully, Louis and others will start catching those darts.

What about the air Marshall put on the ball in first quarter when he overthrew the deep receiver headed into the north end zone? Looked like he released the ball from our 35 yard line (not line of scrimmage) and flew it to the 5 yard line. He does have a cannon.

Well whether he is overthrowing the receivers or the receivers aren't able to catch up or whatever, those plays have to be made. First game you see that but if it continues, you have problems. Adjustments have to be made. I think they will be.

Good grief. One thing about some of our fans that irritates the hell out of me. Let's start talking 2nd string quarterbacks who aren't even really the 2nd string quarterback.

I thought for his first game Marshall played well. His throw into the endzone that was overthrown was only because Coates got tripped up right when he released it. Otherwise, that would've been 6 points on the board and a perfectly thrown ball.

What leaves me scratching my head is that I'm seeing a lot of people spewing out doom and gloom. Where are the comments that say," We were actually a couple plays away from blowing them out of the water" ? It was our first game people. There are things we need to work on and we got to see a lot about ourselves.

Good grief. One thing about some of our fans that irritates the hell out of me. Let's start talking 2nd string quarterbacks who aren't even really the 2nd string quarterback.

I thought for his first game Marshall played well. His throw into the endzone that was overthrown was only because Coates got tripped up right when he released it. Otherwise, that would've been 6 points on the board and a perfectly thrown ball.

What leaves me scratching my head is that I'm seeing a lot of people spewing out doom and gloom. Where are the comments that say," We were actually a couple plays away from blowing them out of the water" ? It was our first game people. There are things we need to work on and we got to see a lot about ourselves.

Agreed. Offense needs some fine tuning. Not once did I think Marshall needed to pulled. Marshall elusiveness in the pocket is maybe only second to Johnny Autograph. That shake of the defender on the naked boot was a thing of beauty.

Slow yourself down a little before you have a stroke, good grief. Can AU fans not discuss a topic without somebody getting their panties all in a wad?

This is typical Gus. He has no idea what he has yet. We had no crossing route passes. This was the same thing he did with Cam. The middle is open, but its also the hardest pass to make. As we progress, if we start seeing the middle of the field being attacked, you will know that Gus is feeling better. If not, we'll have another 2000 out routes a game. NM has the gun tu make the crossing route if he settles in.

I think I remember one deep in route that NM blew eight past the WR. Those routes have to be hit in order to keep the D off balance. As soon as we start being consistent in those, this offense will explode.

Keep in mind, Cam was horrible at these passes the first three games if the season. After that, they were almost indefensible.

NM has awesome potential. I never once thought of JJ during the game. It's been a long time since I watched an AU game and did not think if the backup QB.

Sure Gus was mad- which I absolutely loved- but I can't imagine it was even a remote thought to bench Nick much less put JJ in the game. That's insane.

This is typical Gus. He has no idea what he has yet. We had no crossing route passes. This was the same thing he did with Cam. The middle is open, but its also the hardest pass to make. As we progress, if we start seeing the middle of the field being attacked, you will know that Gus is feeling better. If not, we'll have another 2000 out routes a game. NM has the gun tu make the crossing route if he settles in.

I think I remember one deep in route that NM blew eight past the WR. Those routes have to be hit in order to keep the D off balance. As soon as we start being consistent in those, this offense will explode.

Keep in mind, Cam was horrible at these passes the first three games if the season. After that, they were almost indefensible.

NM has awesome potential. I never once thought of JJ during the game. It's been a long time since I watched an AU game and did not think if the backup QB.

I wouldn't say that he has no idea. Does he know the full extent of what he has? I don't know, I haven't talked to him nor been to the future to see NM's full potential. But saying that an offensive minded coach who has worked wonders with qbs in the past has no idea what he has in his QB is a little... out there to me lol. JMO.

I wouldn't say that he has no idea. Does he know the full extent of what he has? I don't know, I haven't talked to him nor been to the future to see NM's full potential. But saying that an offensive minded coach who has worked wonders with qbs in the past has no idea what he has in his QB is a little... out there to me lol. JMO.

I guess you missed 2010?

And he has only has NM for like a month.

Slow yourself down a little before you have a stroke, good grief. Can AU fans not discuss a topic without somebody getting their panties all in a wad?

That post of mine was more of a build up after reading continuous posts (aside from this thread) from fans not really discussing a topic but rather predicting a whole list of failures after only watching 60 minutes of football into the season.

I don't think JJ was even close to touching the ball. He wasn't only mad with NM. He was freaking out on the WR's many times for killing drives. The Gus Bus system is based off speed and rhythm. The random snaps and NM's feet killed the rhythm of plays, the dropped passes. Yes, I know NM had 4-5 over throws. But the good news on that is, ALL the WR's were open. I really think once he settles in and the guys start catching the easy short ones they dropped last night it will really help him. If the timing was better last night we would have put up a lot more points.

^THIS^

I'm excited we beat a Div. 1 program after a season where we couldn't beat anyone but ourselves. 8 FCS teams beat Div. 1 programs on Saturday, including Oregon State and Kansas State (Friday night). We are 1-0. Time to get better.

To address the OP's question, I doubt if Gus even considered putting in another QB. All in all, it was a good opening performance and demonstrated a LOT of upside for Nick as well as a lot for nick and Gus to build on.

He did a LOT of good things last night,

* stayed calm in the pocket

* was able to move around and get out of trouble

* picked the correct receiver, for the most part

* never once put the ball in any position where it could be intercepted

* adjusted well at the half

* had a nice touch on his short passes

* dropped the ball into Coates on a 35 yard pass with just the flick of a wrist

* demonstrated a gun for an arm

* did not turn the ball over

* had zero INTs, zero fumbles and 1 sack all game

* demonstrated effective game management skills

* 3 dropped passes would have added another 50-75 yards to his stats

* 1 pass where the WR stumbled would have added another 25 yards and a TD to his stats

He does have some issues he will work on this week,

* on keeping his adrenaline in check in the early part of the game

* on working with the WRs on timing routes (this always takes the most time but he and each WR have not had enough time together)

* on breaking down the game film to see if he missed any open 2nd or 3rd option WRs

* on seeing if he missed any open running lanes that would have been better options than the pass attempt.

The WRs need to be doing a lot of work this week too,

* on running the entire route, not letting up 1 or 2 steps and costing a completion

* on understanding that if they do that, Nick has the arm to get the ball to them

* on getting better separation

* on getting use to the ball being there as they come out of their break on some of the short to intermediate routes

* on catching the ball.

To address the OP's question, I doubt if Gus even considered putting in another QB. All in all, it was a good opening performance and demonstrated a LOT of upside for Nick as well as a lot for nick and Gus to build on.

* 1 pass where the WR stumbled would have added another 25 yards and a TD to his stats

* on working with the WRs on timing routes (this always takes the most time but he and each WR have not had enough time together)

* on breaking down the game film to see if he missed any open 2nd or 3rd option WRs

* on seeing if he missed any open running lanes that would have been better options than the pass attempt.

* on running the entire route, not letting up 1 or 2 steps and costing a completion

* on understanding that if they do that, Nick has the arm to get the ball to them

* on getting use to the ball being there as they come out of their break on some of the short to intermediate routes

* on catching the ball.

Very well said!

* on catching the ball.

nice post

Archived