When are we going to have a defense again?

DyeHardAllTheWay

I just long for the days of the nasty Dye and Tuberville defenses. Even though we made some good plays yesterday, giving up 38 points down the stretch is unacceptable. If not for a freak play, defense would have lost us the game yesterday.

Dye's 1985 defense that gave up 38 to Tennessee when Auburn was ranked #1? 34 to the Seminoles in 1987? 48 to the Gators in 1990. 37 to the Bulldogs in 1991. 45 to Ole Miss in 1992. Dye's defenses gave up big leads too (see Kerwin Bell limping into the end zone in 1986).

Tub's defenses gave up 30 points in a game every year except 2004, including 41 and 42 points in back-to-back weeks in 2001 to Louisiana Tech and Arkansas, respectively.

Memories tend to be selective.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it that we are 10-1 and we have people complaining. The stuff during the game thread about how we "suck" and all other similar type of nonsense makes me sick. I think some of our fans are not worthy of the team we have both offense and defense. Those guys kill themselves all year to get better and have produced a truly remarkable season and yet there is still a substantial minority on this board that are willing to dog them as a unit or an individual at the drop of a ball or one missed tackle. I love this damn team - maybe my favorite in 40+ years of following AU football. WDE!

Preach it brother.

I think we have a good D now,but we could be really good with a couple of top linebackers.

The D has improved a ton. The O is awesome . The O and the D helped GA get back in it. You can't just blame the D. Field position was bad at times.

Bingo...the O lost it's mind in the 4th qtr. We are up 6; get the ball back and take a grand total of 15 seconds off the clock with 3 straight passes. When we had rushed for 350 yards up until then....the defense should never have been in that position.

Even when we are 10-1 people will still be negative. Do you realize where this team was last year. We got blown out by all the top teams. Now we are beating them. Enjoy it

Double bingo...we won in a game we should have won big; and then we should have lost...great teams find a way to win....and never give up. Or as Edna Mode said; "luck favors the prepared".

What do you expect them to do? This is not fantasy football and it's not the NFL. They can't make any deals before the trading deadline. These are the players we have. Ok? They are doing the best they can with what they have. An educated football fan would recognize and understand this. An educated football fan would not be belly aching week after week about the defenses from the good ole days. Accept them for what they are, and appreciate the effort and hard work these young men are exerting. Winning is what matters. Not whether or not we have a dominant defense.

As someone else mentioned, I think I have had more fun and enjoyed watching this team more than almost any team going back to the 60's. To the OP's question, this defense made a big improvement over last year in many many areas. Those improvements have been listed in several threads dedicated to that topic all season.

The effect by Coach Garner on the technique and fundamentals of the DL has been tremendous. The same goes for the rest of the position coaches. But just wait till you see how much better the DL and LBs will be next year, after their second off season with Coach Russell.

There was no way to get everything we needed in S&C in one off season, we got about 75%. So next year, after we have the final 25% of S&C work in, then couple that with more incoming LB, S and CB upgrades, this defense is going to improve more and more.

Even when we are 10-1 people will still be negative. Do you realize where this team was last year. We got blown out by all the top teams. Now we are beating them. Enjoy it

That makes way too much sense...better to whine and complain about the defense and pose questions about who will start at QB next year. :cool: We're just 10 - 1, its not like we're undefeated.

10-1 with a "bad" defense is UNACCEPTABLE! :-\/>

Well, our offense has averaged 47.5 points over the past 6 games. I'd say that might help make our D weakness a little less noticeable. So as long as we score almost 50 points per game, no worries. :)

The D is not the 04 D that some are looking for. However, I am pretty pleased overall. Did you see us last year? I don't think we even fielded a Defense. The stats may not back our Defense as being good but I would disagree. We held UGA in check yesterday for 3 and a half quarters.The D line is noticeably improved, I see proper tackling and secondary that has an idea where the ball is. I don't see 10 yard cushions given to receivers. I'm very very pleased with the Defense. Very.

Also, in regards to the OP- nobody is complaining about our record, but we are not 10-1 because of our D. If we weren't scoring almost 50 points per game, the tone around here would be totally different. I think that's what he was getting at. JMO.

Alot of people expected our d to be horrendous this year. Malzahn said they would surprise some folks and they have. Considering where they were last year thus has been a great year. We will only get stronger next year and the year after.

Also, in regards to the OP- nobody is complaining about our record, but we are not 10-1 because of our D. If we weren't scoring almost 50 points per game, the tone around here would be totally different. I think that's what he was getting at. JMO.

I think people get lost in yardage numbers and lose sight of the fact that a majority of the yardage given up has been between the 20's. But, the 22 ppg scoring defense, the 12 INTs, the 24 sacks, the 75 tackles for loss and the red zone defense has had a lot to do with that 10-1 record too.

You will see a good defense & a great offense in orange and blue in 2 weeks. This will be more than sufficient to beat bammer.

go back and look at last seasons uga game. count the whiffed tkls. then look at this years game and the contact against the run. it may not be elite but we have a defense.

I just long for the days of the nasty Dye and Tuberville defenses. Even though we made some good plays yesterday, giving up 38 points down the stretch is unacceptable. If not for a freak play, defense would have lost us the game yesterday.

Dye's 1985 defense that gave up 38 to Tennessee when Auburn was ranked #1? 34 to the Seminoles in 1987? 48 to the Gators in 1990. 37 to the Bulldogs in 1991. 45 to Ole Miss in 1992. Dye's defenses gave up big leads too (see Kerwin Bell limping into the end zone in 1986).

Tub's defenses gave up 30 points in a game every year except 2004, including 41 and 42 points in back-to-back weeks in 2001 to Louisiana Tech and Arkansas, respectively.

Memories tend to be selective.

How dare you pollute this thread with actual facts!

We are not going to face many QB's as good as Murray. He makes most defenses look bad. I thought the D was playing real well until the last 10 minutes. A lot of the problem late was due to the offense going totally cold, going 3 and out repeatedly and giving UGA great field position. Had they ran off a few first downs, killed some clock and gave the D a rest if never would have been close. Another problem was the offense repeatedly settling for field goals when they could have put the game away. The offense left 19 points on the field in the red zone.

What you said.

Some refuse to look at the game objectively because of so much angst for UGA, and don't like to give credit where it's due. Murray isn't some run-of-the-mill chopped liver QB; the kid is NFL-ready as evidenced by his skillset, and has had a pretty solid career.

And to further highlight those points, consecutive three-and-outs on offense countered with sustained offensive drives leading to scores for UGA was bound to wear down the defense eventually.

I truthfully would not have felt comfortable that Auburn would win that game walking away unless there were at least 50 points on the board.

And for all the guff the defense is getting in this thread, I thought they did a great job making Gurley a non-factor for most of the game and forcing Murray to beat them. That was a huge concern after surrendering so many rushing yards against Arkansas and Tennessee.

Imagine if we could have a Tuberville defense with a Malzahn offense...

That would be great, but impossible. With the amount of time that HUNH offenses are on the field, defenses are prone to be on the field for a very long time, creating fatigue and injury. Unless we have a defense that is constantly forcing turnovers, we're not going to have a superior defense with this type of offense.

As someone else mentioned, I think I have had more fun and enjoyed watching this team more than almost any team going back to the 60's. To the OP's question, this defense made a big improvement over last year in many many areas. Those improvements have been listed in several threads dedicated to that topic all season.

The effect by Coach Garner on the technique and fundamentals of the DL has been tremendous. The same goes for the rest of the position coaches. But just wait till you see how much better the DL and LBs will be next year, after their second off season with Coach Russell.

There was no way to get everything we needed in S&C in one off season, we got about 75%. So next year, after we have the final 25% of S&C work in, then couple that with more incoming LB, S and CB upgrades, this defense is going to improve more and more.

Especially with our freshman, Daniels, Adams, and Lawson. Also the rest of this class and early enrollees.

Archived