When are we going to have a defense again?

DyeHardAllTheWay

1) FInd 2 great JUCO LBs

2) Sign 2-3 top lbs, and few great DLs

3) Watch us Rinse and Repeat for an SEC CG Bid next year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe we can have a pretty good defense and we showed it in the first half against Georgia. The issue was not on the players, but on the coaching.

We went back to the prevent defense once we went up by 20.. That is why Georgia was allowed back in the game.

Go back and watch the first and second half, especially the fourth quarter. In the first half, defense was no more than 3-5 yards off the ball, including our DBs. In the late third and fourth quarters our LBs were five yards off, our DBs between 5-10 yards off the ball. That is what allowed Georgia back into the game.

Every time we have gone to prevent D we have allowed teams back into the game. It is a losing position. It works with some teams due to the speed of their LBs and safeties. Auburn has speed to burn, but when our guys are running up to plays from so far off, they are over-pursuing and getting out of position. If they had lined up and played as in the first half, Georgia would never have gotten back into this ball game.

Yes, our Offense messed up in the second half as well. We had too many three and outs in the second half and none in the first. No team scores every time on good to great teams, but we have to have no less than 6 play drives to continue success or have a smothering defense.

I agree linebackers are where we are extremely weak on defense and we do not have much depth in the secondary. We need help recruiting wise to be a dominant D and fill the weak positions. But we can still be a pretty good Defense if we give up the prevent D.

Finally the 4-2 is more of a bend don't break D. As long as we run the 4-2 doubt we will ever be a dominating defense. It is more fun to play in for the defensive players, but it puts too much pressure on the middle to be both a run and pass coverage defense. That is why you have to have hybrid linebackers. I do agree with the personnel we have it is perhaps the best fit.

We have talent to look forward to better overall defenses soon.

The chronic defensive issue that's had me scratching my head for a long time is our secondary. We frequently recruite pretty well back there but rarely IMHO...I'm talking about since the Dye days...has our secondary been on par or better than the rest of the D. We've had some good coaching back there too now and then. Odd.

we really need one in two weeks.

No we don't. Bama does not have an offense that comes close to some of the teams we have played. We need our elite offense to show up. If we are playing like we have all ear on offense. Bama can't score with us

I just long for the days of the nasty Dye and Tuberville defenses. Even though we made some good plays yesterday, giving up 38 points down the stretch is unacceptable. If not for a freak play, defense would have lost us the game yesterday.

If you are going to blame the defense for yesterday, then you must not have seen the game at all. Putting the blame on the defense is simply not accurate.

Who do you blame for giving up 21 points in the 4 quarter?

Yes 21 points in 12 minutes is on the defense, 10 minutes really. They are still better than i expected this year, just not as good as i hoped.

No we don't. Bama does not have an offense that comes close to some of the teams we have played. We need our elite offense to show up. If we are playing like we have all ear on offense. Bama can't score with us

Much like us, they out scored Johnny Football and aTm in an offensive shootout. I'd say that qualifies as much as any O we've played. Look at the scores from our common opponents. They just havent been as consistent as some. You are absolutely correct though, we obviously have to be on our game offensively.

I believe we can have a pretty good defense and we showed it in the first half against Georgia. The issue was not on the players, but on the coaching.

We went back to the prevent defense once we went up by 20.. That is why Georgia was allowed back in the game............

I've seen too many games in the NFL and College where the "prevent" defense has the same effect. I think they must have named it the prevent defense because it prevents you from closing the deal when you have a big lead.

D is better than many realize. The days of the great D's are gone because the game has changed. Hurry up O, zone read, 5 receiver sets, D being restricted in how they can hit receivers has changed the game. In todays world it is a stop here and a stop there and you win the game. In every game but the Georgia game our D has made the stops in the 4th quarter when it counted.

4th quarter could easily have been much different and we could have easily put Georgia away. We have the ball third and three running our bread and butter play to Tre. Tre gets first down we run ball down their throats score and we blow them out of water. Instead because of a timing issue our wide receiver knocks Tre over. We have a bad punt we give them good field position. Next series we decide to take advantage of Georgia stacking the box and we have three and out passing the ball giving Georgia plenty of time.

Georgia had been stacking the box all game long and we ran against it anyway why get cute. Am I second guessing Gus yes with the benefit of hindsight with a good pass Gus would have been right.

If our O had played as well in 4th quarter as it did in balance of the game we wouldn't be having this discussion. We basically shut down the Georgia running game and we slowed Murray down till 4th quarter. In 4th quarter because of offensive miscues we gave Murray to many chances.

Am I saying we have a great defense at this time no but they are better then many seem to realize. As to all the predictions about how nasty we will be next year or two years down the road lets be realistic We will be loosing some key players this year in all three areas linebacker, D-Line and DB. In the D-line we have already seen three freshman contribute so we have an idea what they can do but all the players at Linebacker and DB haven't played a down in the SEC do I personally think they will be good yes. You never know which player will be an instant success, which will be a flop, which will take 2-3 years to reach their potential.

I hope everybody predicting that D will be nasty next year or in 2 years is right but I won't bet the farm on it but I will always support them.

The D has improved in terms of keeping folks out of the endzone compared to last year. The D still has a long way to go before it can be called good, but they are improved over 2011 and 2012. I hope we sign competent LBs because that will be the difference between taking a huge step forward next season and seeing the same stuff we are seeing now.

wde

I thought our defense played great for the first 3 quaters of the game. UGA figured out at the end of the first half that spreading us out and passing was going to be their best option to score points and I don't think Johnson did a very good job of adjusting to that change. The 21 points given up in the fourth quarter was due to the whole team playing not to lose instead of to win. Which is certainly understandable for a team that has come so far and isn't excatly use to having big leads on good teams. I mean our offense went could, Clark shanked a punt, heck even our kick returners were looking timid returning kicks!! You would think that would be obvious from watching the game AND having others in this thread point it out point blank, but some people aren't getting it yet.....maybe my posts will turn the light on for them.

I can't wait until we field a shut down D with this offense to put to rest that you can't have a good defense while running the HUNH. I just don't get the reasoning for it, yes there are aspects of our O that can put a defense in a bind such as going 3 and out repeatedly or scoring on sub 1:00min drives repeatedly, but guess what? We went 3 and out a lot more often last year and we weren't running a HUNH, so how much did those extra 30 seconds or so we got to have the ball help the defense? not much. Also, I bet you won't find many D coord that would complain about and offense scoring regardless of how long it takes. Again all this has been said repeatedly but I really feel posting it one more time is going to make it click for everyone....lol

Bottom line is this is a great TEAM and this has been a great year. Your damn sure right we aren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination and we have our flaws, but I was expecting those flaws to look a whole lot worse this year than they have. So a million kudos go out to the coaches and players for accomplishing so much in such a sort amount of time!!

I thought our defense played great for the first 3 quaters of the game. UGA figured out at the end of the first half that spreading us out and passing was going to be their best option to score points and I don't think Johnson did a very good job of adjusting to that change. The 21 points given up in the fourth quarter was due to the whole team playing not to lose instead of to win. Which is certainly understandable for a team that has come so far and isn't excatly use to having big leads on good teams. I mean our offense went could, Clark shanked a punt, heck even our kick returners were looking timid returning kicks!! You would think that would be obvious from watching the game AND having others in this thread point it out point blank, but some people aren't getting it yet.....maybe my posts will turn the light on for them.

I can't wait until we field a shut down D with this offense to put to rest that you can't have a good defense while running the HUNH. I just don't get the reasoning for it, yes there are aspects of our O that can put a defense in a bind such as going 3 and out repeatedly or scoring on sub 1:00min drives repeatedly, but guess what? We went 3 and out a lot more often last year and we weren't running a HUNH, so how much did those extra 30 seconds or so we got to have the ball help the defense? not much. Also, I bet you won't find many D coord that would complain about and offense scoring regardless of how long it takes. Again all this has been said repeatedly but I really feel posting it one more time is going to make it click for everyone....lol

Bottom line is this is a great TEAM and this has been a great year. Your damn sure right we aren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination and we have our flaws, but I was expecting those flaws to look a whole lot worse this year than they have. So a million kudos go out to the coaches and players for accomplishing so much in such a sort amount of time!!

The best strategy for the defense getting to rest is playing good defense. Hold the other team to a 3-and-out, and off to the sideline you go. How fast your offense scores is irrelevant. I think the logic behind "slowing down the offense to rest defense" is poor, but I do get it. If the defense lets the other team score on a long drive, they get winded, and a quick offense doesn't give them much of a chance to rest. However, that cannot be blamed on the offense. If the defense wants to rest, play better defense.

Bama is the best team we have faced all year.. Don't let our hatred of the Pachyderms lull you into a false sense of security. Bama has few weaknesses and a lot of strengths. We will have to play a complete game on Offense, Defense, and Special teams to beat them. Plus, expect the refs to be against us once again, so we will have to play against bad calls and no calls to win as well.

Bama is a well oiled machine. They are not going to wow you with sensational plays, they will just line up and with the precision of a watch and play for sixty minutes. That is why they are so deceptive and why some think that they do not have the prolific offense like a TAMU or Georgia. They do, but their offense runs like a watch, not like a roller coaster.

Auburn, on the other hand, is a running attack that lives off big plays with a suspect defense. Our offense is fun to watch using misdirection and speed as a way to expose the weaknesses of our opponents on offense. Our bend don't break defense allows teams to put up big numbers against us but limits scoring opportunities in the red zone. Our Offensive Line, a bruiser for a full back, and a host of speedy and deceptive offensive running backs, as well as an elusive QB, are our keys to success on offense.

Our offense is hard to stop due to misdirection and speed, plus a bruising offensive line. Bama has issues with offenses that spread the field and use lots of misdirection since it is the antithesis of their offensive plan. They have issues trying to prepare for such offenses since they do not have the personnel to practice against it.

I do not expect Bama to be able to stop our offense and I do not expect our defense to be able to stop Bama. If we take away the run, their QB will go to the air with top notch receivers. They are not going to throw it 40 plus yards, they will stay in the 5-20 yard range, which is where our defense struggles mightily. This is because in the 4-2 our linebackers have to double as strong LBs against the run and strong against the pass. Prototypical linebackers do not do well in the 4-2. We have to have fast linebackers to assist in the passing game. Don't get me wrong, 4-2 is a great defense for a fast and strong linebacker. They are not going to be bored or one-dimensional in the 4-2. It is a lot of fun for linebackers to play in the 4-2, since they have to do a lot of things and not just be rovers filling the gaps.

On offense our biggest challenge is going to be with the short passing game. We have not been very effective with the short passing game against good teams. If we can get the ball to our receivers in the 5-10 yard range and our receivers actually catch the ball, then we will wear out Bama's defense. Once they have to adjust to a quick passing game, we will run all over them with Mason, Grant, and Marshall. If we cannot get the short passing game going, they are going to force us to be one-dimensional and we could have a long afternoon. If we get that phase of the game going, we are going to burn them with some long runs.

Defensively, we have to play a lot of man coverage, to allow our defense to get pressure on the QB and shut down the running game. The good news is that we play man better than zone. The bad news is that Bama's receivers are taller than our Defensive backs and AJ is very good about getting the ball into the hands of the receivers. The play action passing game will freeze our already thin line backing core and allow them to move the ball. Our defensive ends will be key to getting pressure on the Bama QB. Fortunately Dee Ford is as good as there is about doing just that. However, you can bet Bama will leave one RB or HBack (yes expect someone to play this role), to stop Ford off the edge. If Ford is stopped, someone else will have to take up the slack on Defense. I would love to see Carl Lawson on one side and Dee Ford on the other to rush AJ all day long. Doubt that is what we will see however.

The Defense will have to be aggressive, but be careful not to over pursue. We have had over pursuit issues all year. Our defensive guys are so fast, they often get to the ball before the play actually takes place, putting us out of position to make the play. Bama is not a fast pace offense and over pursuit can hurt us here. We will have to play smart and allow them to commit to a play before we attack.

In the end, our crowd will be key in helping our defense. Noise will play a big factor in disrupting communication with the Bama Offense. Bama will not be intimidated by our crowd or stadium, but the noise will affect them. If our defense can keep the Bama offense guessing through alignment shifts (we are actually pretty good here), along with the crowd noise that will limit their ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage, that could be a big help.

If both teams play to full potential (I expect Bama to do this), then it is going to be a knock down drag out fight and in the end takeaways or the lack thereof, may decide the winner. Neither team makes many mistakes nor turns the ball over often, so whoever wins this battle will be huge. If we are unable to get pressure on AJ, then Bama will not be turning the ball over. If we are able to do just that, then expect a few mistakes on the Bama side, since they do depend upon the play action pass.

If we can put together a full 60 minute Georgia first quarter, I really like our chances. If we have a tale of two halves, we will lose. As stated, Bama does not live and die on big plays, they are methodical in their game plan and they have the ability to execute it to perfection. We have to get them out of their usual game plan. Putting Bama into the position of not being able to execute their normal game plan, turnovers, and field position, will be the keys to winning this game.

you weren't thinking Gus was going to come in and fix everything in one year did you? be happy with where we're at!

Even Dean Martin has to clear his throat...please, we're 10-1 and a work in progress.

Bama is the best team we have faced all year.. Don't let our hatred of the Pachyderms lull you into a false sense of security. Bama has few weaknesses and a lot of strengths. We will have to play a complete game on Offense, Defense, and Special teams to beat them. Plus, expect the refs to be against us once again, so we will have to play against bad calls and no calls to win as well.

Bama is a well oiled machine. They are not going to wow you with sensational plays, they will just line up and with the precision of a watch and play for sixty minutes. That is why they are so deceptive and why some think that they do not have the prolific offense like a TAMU or Georgia. They do, but their offense runs like a watch, not like a roller coaster.

Auburn, on the other hand, is a running attack that lives off big plays with a suspect defense. Our offense is fun to watch using misdirection and speed as a way to expose the weaknesses of our opponents on offense. Our bend don't break defense allows teams to put up big numbers against us but limits scoring opportunities in the red zone. Our Offensive Line, a bruiser for a full back, and a host of speedy and deceptive offensive running backs, as well as an elusive QB, are our keys to success on offense.

Our offense is hard to stop due to misdirection and speed, plus a bruising offensive line. Bama has issues with offenses that spread the field and use lots of misdirection since it is the antithesis of their offensive plan. They have issues trying to prepare for such offenses since they do not have the personnel to practice against it.

I do not expect Bama to be able to stop our offense and I do not expect our defense to be able to stop Bama. If we take away the run, their QB will go to the air with top notch receivers. They are not going to throw it 40 plus yards, they will stay in the 5-20 yard range, which is where our defense struggles mightily. This is because in the 4-2 our linebackers have to double as strong LBs against the run and strong against the pass. Prototypical linebackers do not do well in the 4-2. We have to have fast linebackers to assist in the passing game. Don't get me wrong, 4-2 is a great defense for a fast and strong linebacker. They are not going to be bored or one-dimensional in the 4-2. It is a lot of fun for linebackers to play in the 4-2, since they have to do a lot of things and not just be rovers filling the gaps.

On offense our biggest challenge is going to be with the short passing game. We have not been very effective with the short passing game against good teams. If we can get the ball to our receivers in the 5-10 yard range and our receivers actually catch the ball, then we will wear out Bama's defense. Once they have to adjust to a quick passing game, we will run all over them with Mason, Grant, and Marshall. If we cannot get the short passing game going, they are going to force us to be one-dimensional and we could have a long afternoon. If we get that phase of the game going, we are going to burn them with some long runs.

Defensively, we have to play a lot of man coverage, to allow our defense to get pressure on the QB and shut down the running game. The good news is that we play man better than zone. The bad news is that Bama's receivers are taller than our Defensive backs and AJ is very good about getting the ball into the hands of the receivers. The play action passing game will freeze our already thin line backing core and allow them to move the ball. Our defensive ends will be key to getting pressure on the Bama QB. Fortunately Dee Ford is as good as there is about doing just that. However, you can bet Bama will leave one RB or HBack (yes expect someone to play this role), to stop Ford off the edge. If Ford is stopped, someone else will have to take up the slack on Defense. I would love to see Carl Lawson on one side and Dee Ford on the other to rush AJ all day long. Doubt that is what we will see however.

The Defense will have to be aggressive, but be careful not to over pursue. We have had over pursuit issues all year. Our defensive guys are so fast, they often get to the ball before the play actually takes place, putting us out of position to make the play. Bama is not a fast pace offense and over pursuit can hurt us here. We will have to play smart and allow them to commit to a play before we attack.

In the end, our crowd will be key in helping our defense. Noise will play a big factor in disrupting communication with the Bama Offense. Bama will not be intimidated by our crowd or stadium, but the noise will affect them. If our defense can keep the Bama offense guessing through alignment shifts (we are actually pretty good here), along with the crowd noise that will limit their ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage, that could be a big help.

If both teams play to full potential (I expect Bama to do this), then it is going to be a knock down drag out fight and in the end takeaways or the lack thereof, may decide the winner. Neither team makes many mistakes nor turns the ball over often, so whoever wins this battle will be huge. If we are unable to get pressure on AJ, then Bama will not be turning the ball over. If we are able to do just that, then expect a few mistakes on the Bama side, since they do depend upon the play action pass.

If we can put together a full 60 minute Georgia first quarter, I really like our chances. If we have a tale of two halves, we will lose. As stated, Bama does not live and die on big plays, they are methodical in their game plan and they have the ability to execute it to perfection. We have to get them out of their usual game plan. Putting Bama into the position of not being able to execute their normal game plan, turnovers, and field position, will be the keys to winning this game.

1st off I need to state that I stopped reading your post where I stopped highlighting.

Are you kidding me? Have you even watched Bama play this year, they are hardly a well oiled machine. TAMU has a better offense than Bama does this year. Defense,hasnt' even played all that great this year, but they are not the defense that bama fielded the last few years. No portion of the Bama machine has played all that great to deserve the hype this year, even Herbstreet and company said as much this weekend when talking about the iron bowl and about the bama and Auburn teams. Hell even Kirt put bama on notice for being upset by us.

I would advise you to back up and take a breath, then take another look at bama, go back and watch all their games from this year, they are not the great bama teams they have had over the last 4 years. not even close.

We are going to have to get used to the fact that under a high powered offense like we will have as long as Gustav is the coach, we will continuously be giving the opposing teams more possessions just based on the frequency with which we are scoring. I am perfectly satisfied doing enough to WIN THE GAME

1st off I need to state that I stopped reading your post where I stopped highlighting.

Are you kidding me? Have you even watched Bama play this year, they are hardly a well oiled machine. TAMU has a better offense than Bama does this year. Defense,hasnt' even played all that great this year, but they are not the defense that bama fielded the last few years. No portion of the Bama machine has played all that great to deserve the hype this year, even Herbstreet and company said as much this weekend when talking about the iron bowl and about the bama and Auburn teams. Hell even Kirt put bama on notice for being upset by us.

I would advise you to back up and take a breath, then take another look at bama, go back and watch all their games from this year, they are not the great bama teams they have had over the last 4 years. not even close.

Think you are the one who needs to go back and watch. Underestimate Bama all you want.

You say that they do not have a great Offense like TAMU. Hmm, I thought Alabama outscored them. Perhaps the tapes and the actual victory in that game was wrong. Oh well, guess TAMU outscored them and they lost, even though their record does not say this.

Are they explosive like TAMU? If you read what I wrote, I stated that they weren't. They do not win or beat you with razzle/dazzle. They beat you by executing a balanced plan of attack.

Their Defense is not good. Well you will have to tell that to the teams that have goose eggs for scores. Bama has limited their opponents to less points (with the exception of TAMU), than anyone else who has played them. Yeah, guess I can see why you would think that they do not have a god defense.

Bias is a funny thing. It obscures the obvious. Anyone who thinks Bama is less than anyone we have played all year wears rose colored glasses. I do not see anything but wins in their columns and convincing wins at that. The worst game they played all year was this Saturday against Miss State and even here they won by two touchdowns.

Look I hate the Bammers and Sabear. But I have to be realistic. We have to play our best game of the year to win this game, period. The only ones who do not realize this, are those who can only see through the prism of Orange and Blue glasses.

Can we do it? Certainly we can. But we cannot play two or three quarters only and beat them.

We have recruited some good line talent. We need to get some 4* & 5* LB and DB candidates.

Desperately need linebackers. We have some good DBs but are limited by depth.

Archived