Updates on 2013 Defensive Back signees

BeatBama1972

Alexander looked good when he was on the field. He impressed me a lot. Not sure the others played very much. I saw King on special teams. I don't think he has fully caught on to the new schemes from what a few said. Can't really comment on the other two. I think all were used this year in some form the latter two mainly due to injuries it sounded like.

Kenny Flowers and Brandon King were all part of our kick coverage teams all season. They played in every game, but neither was part of the defensive rotation.

Alexander played Star early in the year, but he fell out of the rotation. According to our participation charts, he last played against FAU. He looked pretty good when he was out there, but by season's end Therezie played every snap at Star.

Harding, somewhat strangely, moved onto the coverage teams at the end of the season. He played against UGA, Bama, and Mizzou although I don't recall seeing him on defense. Because he played late, he doesn't qualify for a redshirt.

Melton last played against WCU, and he played sparingly before that as a fourth or fifth CB on a team that has a 3-man CB rotation. My guess is he qualifies to redshirt.

Kenny Flowers and Brandon King were all part of our kick coverage teams all season. They played in every game, but neither was part of the defensive rotation.

Alexander played Star early in the year, but he fell out of the rotation. According to our participation charts, he last played against FAU. He looked pretty good when he was out there, but by season's end Therezie played every snap at Star.

Harding, somewhat strangely, moved onto the coverage teams at the end of the season. He played against UGA, Bama, and Mizzou although I don't recall seeing him on defense. Because he played late, he doesn't qualify for a redshirt.

Melton last played against WCU, and he played sparingly before that as a fourth or fifth CB on a team that has a 3-man CB rotation. My guess is he qualifies to redshirt.

Do you have a link to the participation charts? I would like to see those.

My understanding was that if you are on the field for a single play, you use a year of eligibility unless you qualify for a hardship exception (medical redshirt). If I am wrong about this, pleas enlighten me (with links).

Do you have a link to the participation charts? I would like to see those.

My understanding was that if you are on the field for a single play, you use a year of eligibility unless you qualify for a hardship exception (medical redshirt). If I am wrong about this, pleas enlighten me (with links).

You are correct. One play kills the redshirt opportunity unless the player qualifies as a medical redshirt. However, the player must also have been injured in the first 25% of his team's games. Playing in games in mid to late season removes the medical redshirt possibility. So, if a guy plays one snap all season and it's in a mid or late season game and gets hurt, he does not qualify for the medical RS.

Participation charts are available online at Auburntigers.com, the school's official website. They are up immediately after each game. I don't know if they stay up permanently or are removed after a period of time.

Oh the advantage is that he's one of the three best DBs on the team, and clearly head and shoulders above any other option at field CB. I thought that was pretty obvious when he played 90% of the snaps at that position with about 60% of those coming in man-to-man coverage.

As for the participation charts, http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/statistics.html. Then, click the link to any particular game. All the intra-game links work except the Texas A&M game (for whatever reason). If you want the participation chart for that one, open the pdf option. It's in there.

And Mikey is right about the qualifications to redshirt a player. Melton was injured during the season (or at least said to be injured) and played in only two games all year, both of which happened before the mid-way point. Very strong odds he gets a redshirt for the season.

au defensive line has been pretty good and deep. au problems on d seems to be linebackers that are quick but small and short secondary guys , do we have any new guys on the team or coming in in 2014 that can help out .

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when our secondary coaches discuss the advantages of playing Jonothan Mincy more than a couple guys on that list.

Surely you jest, right?

Dude always post those kind of posts. Mincy had a good year but yeah he got beat a few times but every corner does...its the nature of the position.

anyone know ?

you may want to check the recruiting forum...but the cb's we flipped from UA are both 6 ft and i think around 190-200 lbs

it just seems that the d no matter what the number they put up . when u need them they up to the task theyre different inside the 20's im a newbie but been au tiger since 75 merry christmas guys and gals war eagle au 38 fsu 30

Archived