Grantham leaving UGA

JFDTiger80

Grantham has accepted the DC position at Louisville. He is getting $1M a year guaranteed. I think UGA may be OK with him leaving too. The question is, a new DC will come in and bring their own coaches with them. How will this effect UGA defense commits and recruits? They had a ton of very good DL kids on their list. Will we quickly target a few of these kids?

Watch for Kirby Smart......he was very, very close to going to UGA before they hired Grantham. I think UGA can pull him away this time. And many say if Kirby goes, so does a good portion of Bama's S&C including Scott Cochran.

Grantham has accepted the DC position at Louisville. He is getting $1M a year guaranteed. I think UGA may be OK with him leaving too. The question is, a new DC will come in and bring their own coaches with them. How will this effect UGA defense commits and recruits? They had a ton of very good DL kids on their list. Will we quickly target a few of these kids?

Actually, they are very thin, commit-wise, on the defensive side. I see our only opportunity here is with uncommitted prospects who are undecided. After dead period ends Wednesday, we'll find out because Coach Garner will be all over it!!

Not much affect for Auburn IMO. If Kirby Smart takes the job I don't see him changing much of the remaining defensive staff as they run the same system. I only see 2 commits on their defense we May target. CB Malkom Parrish and Safety Kendall Gant. Auburn has not offered either one yet however. The big ? becomes where does Zo Carter go? and would he give us another look after eliminating Auburn 2 months ago? For Full disclosure, Pops said Garner will be busy due to the UGA shake up so I could be wrong.

EDIT: Speak of the Devil. He chimed in as I was typing. lol

Not much here, but:

Norcross High School’s defensive end Lorenzo Carter, who is the state’s No. 1 overall prospect and has UGA and Florida as his co-leaders, while also considering LSU and FSU: “I just heard about that today so I’m surprised but I just gotta wait and see what happens.”
Safety Kendall Gant of Lakeland, Fla.: “I don’t know right now (how it affects my commitment). I haven’t talked with a coach yet.”

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/01/12/reaction-uga-recruits-on-todd-grantham-reports/#sthash.1Be0rcXL.n6bYKpkl.dpbs

Not much here, but:

Norcross High School’s defensive end Lorenzo Carter, who is the state’s No. 1 overall prospect and has UGA and Florida as his co-leaders, while also considering LSU and FSU: “I just heard about that today so I’m surprised but I just gotta wait and see what happens.”
Safety Kendall Gant of Lakeland, Fla.: “I don’t know right now (how it affects my commitment). I haven’t talked with a coach yet.”

http://recruiting.bl...L.n6bYKpkl.dpbs

Zo Carter is an interesting study. He visited us during the season and said Auburn "just wasn't for him." I'm going to speculate here that I think a lot of that had to do with his top 4 are all serious rivals of ours and he felt our interest was too little, too late. The others have been on him since 9th grade, and his uga recruiter was Rodney Garner. He has been told numerous things, all negative, about CRG from the dawgs, so it's been an uphill battle. I still think there's a chance things could change, depending on Grantham's replacement, but I admit it's based on my emotion.

Watch for Kirby Smart......he was very, very close to going to UGA before they hired Grantham. I think UGA can pull him away this time. And many say if Kirby goes, so does a good portion of Bama's S&C including Scott Cochran.

uga alum and supporter (big $) friend of mine is very excided that ctg is gone. Says that it is a year late. Also says that smart is on very many supporters wish list but don't know how realistic to make a lateral move now. Only hope they have is to convince smart that the ptb are not enamored with Richt right now and that he would be the logical next coach as a "coach in waiting".

uga alum and supporter (big $) friend of mine is very excided that ctg is gone. Says that it is a year late. Also says that smart is on very many supporters wish list but don't know how realistic to make a lateral move now. Only hope they have is to convince smart that the ptb are not enamored with Richt right now and that he would be the logical next coach as a "coach in waiting".

What a train wreck that would be, to be coach in waiting for a guy who's being pushed out. (If that's the case, which isn't obvious.) Jimbo Fisher dealt with that.

That makes it in essense not a latteral move. They did not offer HCIW last time.

What's this? first Garner leaves Mark and now Grantham. Sounds like this might be the start of Mark's end. Coach Garner needs to in touch with some of recruits thats considering Georgia.

Talked to an Alabama friend last night that is pretty well connected there ( I hesitate to say it that way because it makes it sound like a lie since most average people don't know people well connected inside a program and I am a average guy but this is someone who would know things happening at bama) he said he thought Kirby Smart was headed to UGA. He went on to say that they didn't care about the first two that left but they are upset about this one. Might not help us this year but it could help next year against bama on the other hand it might hurt us against UGA.

Kirby couldn't stop us this year, so what makes everyone think he will next year at Georgia?

From what I have read from UGA fans, most think Richt is near the end of his coaching career.....apparently he doesn't want to coach for the rest of his life. Many think he may stay at most 3 more years if even that. Since its been heavily speculated that Smart has always wanted the UGA HC job, this could be his opportunity for the inside track on it.

What's this? first Garner leaves Mark and now Grantham. Sounds like this might be the start of Mark's end. Coach Garner needs to in touch with some of recruits thats considering Georgia.

I am fairly certain at the very least Grantham was asked by UGA to take the Louisiville job so UGA did not have to let him go. From UGA DC to Louisville is a demotion for all intents and purposes.

E, Grantham is getting a $150K raise to $1M a year guaranteed at Louisville. It is also a multiyear contract all guaranteed. My thought is that UGA did not let Grantham go, but did not try to retain him when Louisville made the offer. Grantham knew he was in possibly his last year at UGA depending on how his defense performed., so, with a nice offer of a bunch of money, and a multiyear contract he leaves UGA for Lousville, and UGA gets to hire a new DC without firing Grantham.

Didn't realize Louisville could pay like that. Maybe I should say overpay. Interesting about smart to Uga I was certainly glad we didn't hire him because his value is unknown. He could prove or disprove his worth with a move to Uga. It would likely be HIS defense and his butt on the line.

I am fairly certain at the very least Grantham was asked by UGA to take the Louisiville job so UGA did not have to let him go. From UGA DC to Louisville is a demotion for all intents and purposes.

Agreed

If recent history repeats ...

H.C in waiting almost guarantees smart will never be HC at Georgia ...

So Georgia and Alabama goes discombobulated on D this coming year with new DC's (well at least a little bit) ... Same w offense at bama ... And pretty much most of the sec is breaking in new QB's.

This next year will be fun

My ex brother in law played at uga and while I can't say that I've talked to him in about this we used to talk a lot about how much longer MR would stay and he would always say bobo (sp?) was gonna be the HC at some point. H and smart are pretty tight so it might get interesting if smart does make the move.

Would Smart to UGA possibly open up recruitment of Ronnie Clark again? and would we realistically have any chance with Carter?

1. Smart is not a primary factor for Clark. Saban and Clark's God-Brother Cam Robinson are.. 2. Will know soon after the dead period is over but my guess is no.

Smart to UGA would make sense with respect to him being able to prove his abilities as a DC without the question of whether it's really Saban making the defensive calls.

Smart to UGA would make sense with respect to him being able to prove his abilities as a DC without the question of whether it's really Saban making the defensive calls.

My thoughts as well, and it also gives him a defense already loaded with talent and used to a similar style to work with. I was kinda hoping that if Saban did leave, Smart would take over, because I have my own questions about him as a DC...

If Richt thinks Smart is a threat to him as a "HC in waiting", why in the world would he hire him ? Unless Richt planned on leaving in the immediate future, I don't see why he would do that.

Archived