Another bridge out in Birmingham area

Tigermike

226799.jpg

The picture above is the bridge at the interchange of I65 & I20/59. Repairs are now complete and roads will open tomorrow.

Tonight on the interchange of I65 & I459 in Hoover, an 18 wheeler lost control and the load of steel shafts fell on the bridge. The bridge will be out of commission indefinitely.

Drivers around Birmingham are rough on bridges. :blink:

My drive into work tomorrow will be miserable. That area is already a pretty conjested area on a normal day.

The piston that fell off the truck was headed to US Steel and weighed 47,000 lbs! :o

I was driving from TN back to TX and saw that picture in person! It was the Thursday after the Auburn-Arkansas game. I thought a bomb might have gone off. They were scraping up the pavement when I passed by.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I was driving from TN back to TX and saw that picture in person!  It was the Thursday after the Auburn-Arkansas game.  I thought a bomb might have gone off.  They were scraping up the pavement when I passed by.

128595[/snapback]

I was in traffic on I-59/20 when it happened, probably five minutes behind that truck. It looked like a bomb did go off with the black smoke and fire everywhere. We were at a standstill for about 20-30 minutes. Malfunction Junction just seems cursed.

The Malfunction Junction bridge will open Saturday - 27 days ahead of schedule. :cheer:

The 459/65 connection has apparently been repaired. Everything moved through there well this morning and the connection was open to South bound traffic. :cheer:

Archived