Future RBs

Richard78

People also forget about Kam Pettway. Kid will be a stud if he makes the grades to get in AU. Still think he should get a shot a HB next year.

I think we're in good shape.

mD36poFQ_bigger.png

BarrettSallee

Auburn's backfield in 2015 will consist of Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson, Kerryon Johnson and Peyton Barber. Goodness.

that is a bunch of good high school rbs and one juco. Not one D1 carry amongst them and two of them cannot even sign for 6-8 months. I believe are and will be good at RB but it could be a player we don't yet know about. Robinson is a sure thing as far as talent but is still being recruited hard by others.

2014: CAP, Grant, Barber, Pettway & Thomas

2015: Barber, Pettway, Thomas, Robinson & Johnson

I'd say the RB position for the next few years will be fine. Shift the focus to recruiting the other side of the ball: LBs.

Cart before horse? 2 of those guys haven't signed with us yet and will still be recruited hard by other schools.

This is Running Back U; we're always going to have running backs. As a matter of fact, with the exception of Michael Dyer (who has one more year of eligibility at Louisville), every primary back we've had in this century has played in the NFL...in fact, one of the most successful former Tiger backs, as far as recent NFL success goes anyway, transferred away from Auburn because he wasn't going to get past third string (Brandon Jacobs, selected in the fifth round in 05, the same year that Ronnie and Caddy went in the top 5 picks, after transferring to Southern Illinois).

And let us not forget that the two who will play this season have the advantage of two veterans in front of them, so they can be eased into the action and ready to go when it's their turn to shine.

Yes, it's a little bit of putting the cart before the horse, but it's still a pretty powerful statement when you've got all that potential already on board, even if two of them can't make it official yet. Considering that Jovon was actually enrolled at Auburn before, then recommitted almost immediately after the NCAA cleared AU to recruit him again, I'd say he's about as solid as it comes, and Johnson seemed excited about the prospect of having Robinson in the backfield with him.

Cart before horse? 2 of those guys haven't signed with us yet and will still be recruited hard by other schools.

Your comment is duly noted. However, just remember that AU has OL on the roster nearly 3-deep in every position, with only 2 seniors next season, and three more stud OL already committed to sign for 2015. If I was an RB recruit looking for a place to excel at my chosen position, AU would have to be a very enticing place to be for the next few years.

Your comment is duly noted. However, just remember that AU has OL on the roster nearly 3-deep in every position, with only 2 seniors next season, and three more stud OL already committed to sign for 2015. If I was an RB recruit looking for a place to excel at my chosen position, AU would have to be a very enticing place to be for the next few years.

While I understand what you're saying, this is the exact opposite side of the same argument that folks on this very board have been making for the last couple years about that other schoo in AL. Don't get me wrong, its a great problem to have and I like it.

While I understand what you're saying, this is the exact opposite side of the same argument that folks on this very board have been making for the last couple years about that other schoo in AL. Don't get me wrong, its a great problem to have and I like it.

Folks change their tune when the shoe is on the other foot. :rolleyes:

Auburn has a history of putting good running backs in the League. As I noted yesterday, we had three backs drafted in the same year, and you can look back over our history for having more than one future NFLer getting carries in the same season. Brooks and Cribbs, Bo and Fullwood, Carnell and Ronnie, etc.

Then think about last season, when we had one back jump from virtual anonymity to garnering a trip to the Downtown Athletics Club, we also had two other RBs with 600 yards, and a QB with more than 1,000 on the ground, as well, so they know Malzahn likes to run. Add to that the amount of publicity CGM's offense has gotten, not to mention how much fun it is to watch, and it's not so hard to understand that RBs would be lining up to get on board.

If one bails on AU, not saying or hoping they will, we will probably cherry pick one from somewhere else. Someone like Swinney who half the recruiting board wants us to sign regardless. He waited till Robinson's announcement to make his own. The belief is that Auburn is his first choice, but they don't have enough room. If for some crazy reason one of these two doesn't come to AU, I believe it may not take too much persuading to fill the spot.

I think we're in good shape.

mD36poFQ_bigger.png

BarrettSallee

Auburn's backfield in 2015 will consist of Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson, Kerryon Johnson and Peyton Barber. Goodness.

that is a bunch of good high school rbs and one juco. Not one D1 carry amongst them and two of them cannot even sign for 6-8 months. I believe are and will be good at RB but it could be a player we don't yet know about. Robinson is a sure thing as far as talent but is still being recruited hard by others.

Roc and Barber will most likely get their share of carries in 2014, so by 2015 your statement will no longer be accurate. As you mentioned Jovon is a sure thing. I will tell you that Roc will be special as well. Roc was not your average HS back. He was a 5 star stud.

We lost RB U when Bowden got there. That was the only time I can remember where we didnt have close to the best in the SEC on the field. Another reason why D Craig is one of my all time favorites. He was QB in one of those non RBU periods. He was handing off to Rusty Williams and Cooper. One man team. At least Offensively.

We lost RB U when Bowden got there. That was the only time I can remember where we didnt have close to the best in the SEC on the field. Another reason why D Craig is one of my all time favorites. He was QB in one of those non RBU periods. He was handing off to Rusty Williams and Cooper. One man team. At least Offensively.

Don't forget about Fred Beasley, who was the only decent running back on the team in Craig's senior year of 97. Also, Steven Davis was running on the Plains until 95. And don't forget the receivers on that 97 team: Karsten Bailey, Tyrone Goodson, and Hicks Poor, just off the top of my head. Without Dameyune, we wouldn't have been nearly as good, but there was still talent there.

I don't recall if Davis was recruited Bowden's first year or Dye's last. If memory serves, he was recruited by Dye. Bostic led the SEC in rushing in 93 and Davis in 94. It's hard to argue that we lost RBU when Bowden started recruiting RBs. Fred Beasley was an All American HS tailback that grew into a FB. He never was a pure rusher (maybe a little his freshmen year). Bowden was trying to win the way Diddy was winning.

Dye recruited Davis but I think he was (prop 48) or something like that, so he sat a year. Then was draft eligible and left after only playing 2. I'm not 100% sure but that is the best I remember it.

Archived