Note on TD Ratio (Defense)

StatTiger

Auburn's national ranking in the number of snaps defended per touchdown allowed on defense:

2009: 69th

2010: 49th

2011: 68th

2012: 72nd

2013: 38th

During his last 4 stops as a DC, Ellis Johnson's defenses improved in scoring defense from year #1 to year #2. It would be huge if the defense broke the top-30 this upcoming season.

It just means other DEs have to step forward. I thought Elijah Daniel was nearly as impactful as Lawson last year. He was just asked to play inside instead of out. I'm fine with him and Owens on the edge. We need to find backups. Harrell has the physical tools. Lambert is going to be counted on. Williams has the body. Thornton or Kennion may have to play as specialty rushers. (And don't tell me they are both definitely going to be redshirted... everyone thought Dee Ford's 190 lb. body was due for a redshirt in 2009 but that didn't happen. If there's a need, they'll play.)

We need more rush from the interior. If you get that, you can get away with less dominant edge rushers. We turned that trick in 2004 and 2010. Jay Ratliff and TJ Jackson caved offensive lines inside out, which allowed us to play Eddins and Langenfeld even on pass downs at times. Fairley and Clayton and Blanc were our best rushers, which meant less demand for Coleman and Goggans and those guys to bring an A+ rush off the edge. It can be done. DT is a team strength. With or without Lawson, we need more explosive play inside.

I thought that carl would be ready for the season. Has anyone heard any different?

Nobody knows... The staff hasn't said a word.

I thought that carl would be ready for the season. Has anyone heard any different?

Nobody knows... The staff hasn't said a word.

No official word, but insiders have posted here that it is a combo ACL/MCL injury, and speculation is that he would be out for the year if that is true. See the Carl Lawson thread.

Archived