The Opening and Elite 11 July 5th-10th

au_bsci_04

Starting this weekend, the nation's elite head to Oregon for the heralded Nike camp The Opening. Thought this would be a good collective spot for gathering updates on AU targets.

TUESDAY: SPARQ Championship. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU, Watch ESPN

WEDNESDAY: Seven-on-seven games. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU, Watch ESPN

THURSDAY: Seven-on-seven semifinals/final & Lineman Challenge final. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU, Watch ESPN

AU Targets

-OT Martez Ivey (@tezivey)

-QB Deondre Francois (@Deondre_3)

-DT Daron Payne (@RETROLIVIN_)

-WR John Burt (@burticus21 )

-WR Christian Kirk (@ChristianDavon2)

-WR Christian Kirk (@ChristianDavon2)

-QB Torrance Gibson (@quick_tg6)

-CB Darius Slayton (@young_slay2)

-WR George Campbell (@GeorgeCampbell0)

-OL Javon Patterson (@JPatterson__8 )

-OL Darryl Williams (@LilDarryl12345)

-OL Drew Richmond (@TheDream_75)

-OL Dallas Warmack (@DallasWarmack)

-DL Jonathan Ledbetter (@LedbetterDE15)

-DL Natrez Patrick (@NatrezPatrick_9)

-LB Josh McMillon (@Joshua_McMillon)

-OL Quarvez Boulware (@truth__55)

-WR K.J. Hill (@KayJayHill)

-DB Tarvarus McFadden (@tee_time24)

-DB Kevin Toliver (@Toliver_Era)

-DL Byron Cowart (@byronhawkstar99)

-LB Te'Von Coney (@TevonConey)

-LB Sherrod Pittman (@ROLLINGHARD_9)

-WR Jovon Durante (@_field_general)

-WR Kirk Merritt (@kirkmerritt33)

*No QBs have been selected yet, supposed to occur on 7/7 w/ each team drafting three (3) each

Team Landshark

Team Fly Rush

Team Apocalypse

• 247 breakdown - http://247sports.com...akdown-29435485
  • Notable targets -

[*]Notes -

• Disruptive linebackers - If a quarterback wants to find a wide receiver on anything in that intermediate range against the Apocalypse team, he’s going to find a lot of obstacles to deal with. It starts with the 6-foot-5 linebacker Porter Gustin. Between Gustin, Joshua McMillon and Malik Jefferson, this linebacker crew has the most size collectively of any unit. That’s going to take a lot of pressure off of the secondary and create some turnover opportunities.

Team Alpha Pro

Nice article by SB Nation explaining The Opening...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/6/5873453/2014-opening-elite-11-nike-tv-schedule-players-roster

What are the Elite 11 and The Opening presented by Nike?

The Elite 11 is a "campetition" for quarterback recruits. They receive top-level instruction from former professionals and private quarterback coaches. (Despite the "11" name, there are actually 18 quarterbacks selected.) The Opening is the premier summer showcase event for high school recruits.

Both are held at Nike's world headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon.

When are the Elite 11 and The Opening, and how can I watch?

The 2014 Elite 11 takes place July 5-6, while The Opening 2014 runs July 7-10. Quarterbacks from the Elite 11 also participate in The Opening.

The TV schedule is as follows:

July 8: SPARQ Championship (a combine testing competition; here are last year's drill results). 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU and Watch ESPN

July 9: Seven-on-seven games. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU and Watch ESPN

July 10: Seven-on-seven semifinals/championship and Lineman Challenge finals. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU and Watch ESPN

How long has The Opening been around?

This is year No. 4.

What happens at The Opening?

The Opening presented by Nike Football is four days of dynamic training, coaching and competition for many of the country's most elite high school football players. Every position and every aspect of the game will be highlighted over the course of the four-day program. Past events have featured NFL stars like Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, Ndamukong Suh, Marshawn Lynch, Aaron Rodgers, Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson and Darrelle Revis coaching participants in a variety of drills and competitions.

The event will crown winners for the Nike 7ON tournament, Nike Linemen Challenge, and SPARQ Rating National Championship. Designed to give student-athletes the training and knowledge to develop their speed, explosiveness and position skills, The Opening brings together top performers from all of the Nike Football Training Camps and Nike Football SPARQ Combines, combined with other top prospects – all battling for the chance to claim ultimate bragging rights.

Who gets picked for The Opening?

The top 162 high school football players in the nation as selected by Student Sports after film evaluation and/or in-person evaluation at one of our nationwide events such as the Nike Football Training Camps (NFTC).

Here's the full roster of players.

Why is this event important? Don't colleges already have tons of tape on these guys? What are the rules for teams? Can they go to it, talk to players, etc.?

Ultimately, the event won't help most invited get recruited, because they are already high-profile recruits. But top athletes are competitive, and they want the chance to try their skills against the best in the country.

Colleges and representatives are not permitted to attend, per NCAA rule. The event is really more about a celebration of the players and a chance to prove they are the best at their respective positions.

In addition to the experience, players receive a ton of Nike swag, including exclusive shoes. In 2013, they received the Calvin Johnson trainer shoe before all of their friends.

This year's class of #FieldGenerals will compete in the CJ81 Elite 2 TD - #Elite11. pic.twitter.com/Y6Nrud1XBb

— Elite11 (@Elite11) July 5, 2014

Who are some people who have done well there in the past, and how did it effect their careers?

Recruiting rankings have a huge correlation to success, so as you might expect, the event has produced a ton of stars.

One such player was Mike Davis, a running back who signed with South Carolina -- and is now one of the best in the SEC. He spoke well of the event:

"The competition at The Opening really helped me push myself as a player, and it motivated me to work even harder to get better because I realized there are guys out there just as talented, if not more talented than you are. It was such an amazing experience being out in Oregon, and I will always remember the guys I met that week.

Other notable alumni include Georgia running back Todd Gurley, Miami's Tracy Howard and Duke Johnson, Auburn's Ricardo Louis, and Florida State's P.J. Williams and Jameis Winston (Elite 11).

2011 #Elite11 Co-MVP and @HeismanTrophy Winner Jameis Winston (@Jaboowins) welcomes the 2014 Class. pic.twitter.com/Amzo37PC87

— Elite11 (@Elite11) July 5, 2014

Which teams have the most verbal commitments at the event?

Alabama, which dominates recruiting nationally year-in and year-out under Nick Saban, leads the way with 10 (!) of the 162. Texas A&M has seven, Georgia has five, and Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame and Penn State each boast four.

Do any players commit to schools at The Opening?

Yes. Since the event is broadcast on ESPNU, many players opt to take advantage of the publicity and commit on TV. This year, eight prospects are expected to make their commitments.

Tennessee is expected to add Kahlil McKenzie, a California defensive tackle whom many believe is the best in the country. USC could be adding two commitments at the event in its first year off NCAA sanctions.

How are the players grouped?

Players will participate in individual drills, and then break off into six teams for seven-on-seven competition. Each seven-on-seven team will have three quarterbacks from the Elite 11 on their squad. Linemen will compete in a separate lineman challenge.

Who pays for all this?

The event pays the way for players, but if parents, friends or relatives wish to come, they must pay their own way.

Why are some players in shoulder pads and some not?

State high school athletic governing bodies differ on what is allowed for practice

Elite 11 QB breakdown after day 1 Link

Deondre Francois Francois had a good morning at the Elite 11 but we really woke up to his day in the afternoon. The uncommitted four-star put together a flurry of big-time throws and showed a live arm. **Top performer candidate
Torrance Gibson One of the most scrutinized players in the nation, Gibson showed in day one that he wants to get better at the quarterback position. He needs to work on shortening his stride and he can get erratic on some deeper throws but his athleticism still gives him a lot of margin for error throwing the football.

Top Performer candidates

-Blake Barnett

-Deondre Francois

-Kyler Murray

-Josh Rosen

-Jarrett Stidham

-Brandon Wimbush

Every site will have different rankings for the QBs. Last year only the Elite 11 had Sean White #1 before the 7 on 6 camp. The rest had him high but not #1.

Every site will have different rankings for the QBs. Last year only the Elite 11 had Sean White #1 before the 7 on 6 camp. The rest had him high but not #1.

Right, but Elite 11 event, so I am going off of their board.

Other guys may have performed better, and that's just how it is.

I know. I was just clarifying for the board if Dre does not fin0ish high for the Elite 11 people but does for the recruiting sites. This is very subjective.

Barton S 14607 posts 2 hours ago via Mobile

Darryl Williams measured in at 6-2.5/317

Top 4 in order:

1 auburn

2 ms state

3 FSU

3 uk

Barton S 14607 posts 2 hours ago via Mobile

Darryl Williams measured in at 6-2.5/317

Top 4 in order:

1 auburn

2 ms state

3 FSU

3 uk

i am guessing he is waiting until after the dead period to commit? He seemed ready couple weeks ago

i am guessing he is waiting until after the dead period to commit? He seemed ready couple weeks ago

Yes. This was covered extensively when he was ready to commit then. The staff are not taking any commits on the OL not named Ivey til they all get back from vacation and go over the OL class thoroughly.

Yes. This was covered extensively when he was ready to commit then. The staff are not taking any commits on the OL not named Ivey til they all get back from vacation and go over the OL class thoroughly.

Thanks for re-clarifying. After seeing that pic of D.Williams with some current players some weeks ago, I was surprised how well build he appeared... Despite his weight, he appeared to be carrying the weight well, in the upper body... And with that he moved up my board... Land him and Ivey and be done done done IMO.

Live air times for The Opening and even schedule. Will be added to the OP also.

TUESDAY: SPARQ Championship. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU, Watch ESPN

WEDNESDAY: Seven-on-seven games. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU, Watch ESPN

THURSDAY: Seven-on-seven semifinals/final & Lineman Challenge final. 8. p.m. ET, ESPNU, Watch ESPN

What does a coach have to do to get in on the recruitment of josh sweat. Geez. Dude looks scary.

I'm interested to see how Daron Payne does. He seems to have dropped a bit in rankings and attention and knows he needs to work harder to prove himself.

Kirk Merritt won the SPARQ competition and he's emerging as a possible top AU target.

I'm interested to see how Daron Payne does. He seems to have dropped a bit in rankings and attention and knows he needs to work harder to prove himself.

Daron Payne - 6'2", 348, 5.29

That is one big boy. I have watched this kid in film. He may be dropping off a bit and he may not fit the size our DC wants, but he is good. He is very powerful. I think he will be a starter at Bama at some point in his career (if he ends up at Bama).

That is one big boy. I have watched this kid in film. He may be dropping off a bit and he may not fit the size our DC wants, but he is good. He is very powerful. I think he will be a starter at Bama at some point in his career (if he ends up at Bama).

He could easily play the Terrance Cody role for them and just be a big body to stuff the middle

Free per 247 on lineman Drills. Sweat is a 5* and contender for #1 overall player FWIW

Ivey more than stoned Josh Sweat on the opening rep. Sweat was standing up off the edge too.

Ivey is putting on a show early on in protection. Just took Chauncey Rivers on the last rep.

Martez Ivery pancaked Natrez Green off the edge.

Javon Patterson is outstanding at the 2nd level. Got free and put a hit on Austin Bryant
Javon Patterson gets a nice initial punch on Austin Bryant and stones him at the line.

Archived