Gov. Perry deploying Texas National Guard to the U.S. border

AUtiger98

I realize it is tough to argue with facts, but you can really do better than fairy tales, can't you?

Well, you could check the history section of that website. If that is insufficient, try the following two:

http://www.factcheck...he-obama-phone/

http://www.snopes.co...s/cellphone.asp

Nice how Obama has labeled it the Obama Phone when he had little to do with the whole thing. Narcissistic? Or just pandering for votes?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice how Obama has labeled it the Obama Phone when he had little to do with the whole thing. Narcissistic? Or just pandering for votes?

I have seen nothing that convinced me the misnomer originated with Obama. If it did, I would be more inclined to think pandering than narcissism.

I realize it is tough to argue with facts, but you can really do better than fairy tales, can't you?

Well, you could check the history section of that website. If that is insufficient, try the following two:

Who Started the Obama Phone?

“Who started the Obama Phone?” is one of the questions that’s asked most frequently about this government program.

The simple answer is that any number of Presidents could claim credit for it, but the program is usually called the Obama Phone because it expanded so rapidly during his administration.

That growth, of course, is partially related to the financial meltdown, the subsequent recession, and lingering economic issues. The number of Americans eligible for the program has grown dramatically recent years and the program has expanded to meet that demand.

But perhaps we should look back at a little history to determine the real architect of the free phone program. A timeline of the program’s history makes it difficult to pinpoint an exact date the program was created and blurs the possibility of assigning credit or blame (depending on your opinion of the program).

In other words, Obama Phone is a misnomer.

Did you miss?: "The simple answer is that any number of Presidents could claim credit for it, but the program is usually called the Obama Phone because it expanded so rapidly during his administration'

Even if you disagree with Obama phone, my point: With so many Social Welfare Programs, why work for $9.00 to $20.00 per hour, when you can make lower middle class to middle class money on welfare? Of course you liberals know this, but instead of admitting it, you bring-up details that have little to do with the main point, rather than simply admitting you and your political party are wrong, it is bad for America, then move on to play another day.

Another example: Domino's Pizza has a billboard up, down the street from me. It reads: We are hiring assistant managers starting at $35G's per year, no experience or formal education required. The sign has been up for over two weeks now.

How many people applied? Three! Three people in over two weeks, and the General Manager (Gm makes between $65 to $100 G's per year pending on business profit) told me two of the three were missing more teeth than they had and the third has just got out of the county jail and he informed the GM there is currently a warrant out for his arrest he must take care of before he can start work.

While there laughing with the GM, he told me: "As soon as I tell people it requires around 50 hours per week, they stop filling out the application and leave" The GM, working without an assistant, is working 60+ hours per week, wanting to own his own stores some day, and he is working and saving hard towards that goal. I know, I know, he is an evil wealthy Republican, but what else can he do?

While there, I asked two of the drivers how much they make delivering pizza? "They said between $12 to $15 per hour pending business"

Not bad money, I thought. Keep in mind folks, this is Domino's Pizza! I mean come on.....

Did you miss?: "The simple answer is that any number of Presidents could claim credit for it, but the program is usually called the Obama Phone because it expanded so rapidly during his administration'

Even if you disagree with Obama phone, my point: With so many Social Welfare Programs, why work for $9.00 to $20.00 per hour, when you can make lower middle class to middle class money on welfare? Of course you liberals know this, but instead of admitting it, you bring-up details that have little to do with the main point, rather than simply admitting you and your political party are wrong, it is bad for America, then move on to play another day.

Another example: Domino's Pizza has a billboard up, down the street from me. It reads: We are hiring assistant managers starting at $35G's per year, no experience or formal education required. The sign has been up for over two weeks now.

How many people applied? Three! Three people in over two weeks, and the General Manager (Gm makes between $65 to $100 G's per year pending on business profit) told me two of the three were missing more teeth than they had and the third has just got out of the county jail and he informed the GM there is currently a warrant out for his arrest he must take care of before he can start work.

I did not miss it, but I think you did. My point (and TexasTiger's ultimately) is that you do not do your positions any favors when you perpetuate myths. It illustrates that you believe that the "Obama Phone" program is Obama's handiwork. This tells me that you either did not bother to research before taking issue with it at whatever point you did so, or that you are willing to continue believing it despite the facts to the contrary. Personally, I am not a liberal or Democrat, but I do prefer accuracy over rhetoric.

As for your larger point, it does merit discussion. Despite the social programs, people do not "make money" from welfare without cheating it (at the least). I can understand why a single mother of two is not overly enthusiastic about working for $9/hour, as it quite simply is not enough for her to live without assistance. I have known one woman that did it without government assistance, and with little child support from the father. She had her income budgeted down to what seemed like the last cent, and that enabled them to have a tiny two-bedroom flat in a podunk town. That is exceptional, it is not the standard. If she were not working such a job, raising her children, and trying to go to school in pursuit of a wage that they can actually live on, I cannot knock it or advocate removing that assistance.

The people I see living in HUD homes are not ones I would say are living middle class at all, and many of them do have at least someone in the household working one of those lovely $9/hour jobs. What I do not see, at least not around me, are many jobs to be had that bridge the income gap between a part-time McDonald's employee and a network administrator like myself. Moreover, I also do not see people that are just happy to be doing nothing and enjoying our social programs. On the contrary, most of them feel helpless to do anything about it.

Are there solutions that can benefit everyone? Sure, and there is a volume of discussion to go along with them. However, I am convinced that perspectives that appear to ultimately boil down to "liberal social programs, and liberalism itself is destroying this country, conservatism must take America back!!!" are not likely to be very useful in finding said solutions. The same can be said for the opposite. A long time ago, conservatives and liberals (known as Republicans and Democrats) could at least pretend to work together for the common good. All we have now are ideological mouthpieces.

“Who started the Obama Phone?” is one of the questions that’s asked most frequently about this government program.

The simple answer is that any number of Presidents could claim credit for it, but the program is usually called the Obama Phone because it expanded so rapidly during his administration.

That growth, of course, is partially related to the financial meltdown, the subsequent recession, and lingering economic issues. The number of Americans eligible for the program has grown dramatically recent years and the program has expanded to meet that demand.

But perhaps we should look back at a little history to determine the real architect of the free phone program. A timeline of the program’s history makes it difficult to pinpoint an exact date the program was created and blurs the possibility of assigning credit or blame (depending on your opinion of the program).

I think the statement above is indicative of the problem. You seem more interested in the political rhetoric argument than a reality based discussion. Maybe, if you acknowledged the fact that these programs were not created as part of some Obama conspiracy, maybe, if you acknowledged the fact that the programs were expanded due to an economic crisis, and if you suggested that, with signs of an improving economy (at least where you live) it is time to start cutting some of these programs in order to promote people returning to the workforce, your post would be better received. Some of the people you assume to be liberals, aren't. They simply prefer to discuss real problems and solutions rather than, bash the President, bash liberals, bash lazy poor people, and portray themselves and the country (the good, hardworking, conservative part) as victims of a liberal conspiracy.

I did not miss it, but I think you did. My point (and TexasTiger's ultimately) is that you do not do your positions any favors when you perpetuate myths. It illustrates that you believe that the "Obama Phone" program is Obama's handiwork. This tells me that you either did not bother to research before taking issue with it at whatever point you did so, or that you are willing to continue believing it despite the facts to the contrary. Personally, I am not a liberal or Democrat, but I do prefer accuracy over rhetoric.

As for your larger point, it does merit discussion. Despite the social programs, people do not "make money" from welfare without cheating it (at the least). I can understand why a single mother of two is not overly enthusiastic about working for $9/hour, as it quite simply is not enough for her to live without assistance. I have known one woman that did it without government assistance, and with little child support from the father. She had her income budgeted down to what seemed like the last cent, and that enabled them to have a tiny two-bedroom flat in a podunk town. That is exceptional, it is not the standard. If she were not working such a job, raising her children, and trying to go to school in pursuit of a wage that they can actually live on, I cannot knock it or advocate removing that assistance.

The people I see living in HUD homes are not ones I would say are living middle class at all, and many of them do have at least someone in the household working one of those lovely $9/hour jobs. What I do not see, at least not around me, are many jobs to be had that bridge the income gap between a part-time McDonald's employee and a network administrator like myself. Moreover, I also do not see people that are just happy to be doing nothing and enjoying our social programs. On the contrary, most of them feel helpless to do anything about it.

Are there solutions that can benefit everyone? Sure, and there is a volume of discussion to go along with them. However, I am convinced that perspectives that appear to ultimately boil down to "liberal social programs, and liberalism itself is destroying this country, conservatism must take America back!!!" are not likely to be very useful in finding said solutions. The same can be said for the opposite. A long time ago, conservatives and liberals (known as Republicans and Democrats) could at least pretend to work together for the common good. All we have now are ideological mouthpieces.

I couldn't agree more with: "A long time ago, conservatives and liberals (known as Republicans and Democrats) could at least pretend to work together for the common good. All we have now are ideological mouthpieces"

What about $15 to $20 per hour or $35G's per year?

My daughter, who just graduated, made $430 in one evening as a waitress the other night. No, that is not the norm but over $100 per evening is the norm for her, plus I am sure you get my point. We have one child left at home and my wife pays our baby sitters $10 per hour. We have trouble getting these college young ladies over to babysit because of their activities going on. How are they paying for college? Either their parents, pell grants, (for low income) or student loans.

Back to the main point: Why are farmers, landscapers, construction contractors, hiring illegals? Why does Domino's Pizza have to pay for a bill board to advertise for a middle class job? Why does a cleaning or maid service have to double hire and double schedule for no-shows?

I think the statement above is indicative of the problem. You seem more interested in the political rhetoric argument than a reality based discussion. Maybe, if you acknowledged the fact that these programs were not created as part of some Obama conspiracy, maybe, if you acknowledged the fact that the programs were expanded due to an economic crisis, and if you suggested that, with signs of an improving economy (at least where you live) it is time to start cutting some of these programs in order to promote people returning to the workforce, your post would be better received. Some of the people you assume to be liberals, aren't. They simply prefer to discuss real problems and solutions rather than, bash the President, bash liberals, bash lazy poor people, and portray themselves and the country (the good, hardworking, conservative part) as victims of a liberal conspiracy.

What ever you do, don't mention the larger points you can't defend!

I don't give a good damn about the phone or what anyone calls it or who takes credit for it.

So to get back on topic:

Is he right or wrong to do so?

Is the border secure?

Are the Feds doing enough to make and keep the border secure?

Is Governor Perry right or wrong to do call up and deploy the National Guard?

What ever you do, don't mention the larger points you can't defend!

To what points are you referring? Your three examples? I believe that I did.

I don't give a good damn about the phone or what anyone calls it or who takes credit for it.

So to get back on topic:

Is the border secure?

Are you moderating or, are you just posting?

So back to reality:

We have solid, definite, concrete, factual evidence, that we have a crisis at the border. That is unless you feel we can afford to just let everyone in, that wants in, and treat and care for them etc...

What has been done by our current govt. or past administration to this point? Some things, but not a whole-lot (due to political reason's on both sides of the isle) to really solve the problem.

Personally I am not the biggest Gov Perry fan, but at least he is doing something. For some of the wrong reason's maybe (political) but at least it is something.

Assuming everyone feels we can't just open the gates and let everyone in; If not the Guard or Reserve or Active Duty Forces to protect our border, what do you all propose? Expansion off the Texas Rangers, State Police, Border Patrol???

I couldn't agree more with: "A long time ago, conservatives and liberals (known as Republicans and Democrats) could at least pretend to work together for the common good. All we have now are ideological mouthpieces"

My daughter, who just graduated, made $430 in one evening as a waitress the other night. No, that is not the norm but over $100 per evening is the norm for her, plus I am sure you get my point. We have one child left at home and my wife pays our baby sitters $10 per hour. We have trouble getting these college young ladies over to babysit because of their activities going on. How are they paying for college? Either their parents, pell grants, (for low income) or student loans.

Back to the main point: Why are farmers, landscapers, construction contractors, hiring illegals? Why does Domino's Pizza have to pay for a bill board to advertise for a middle class job? Why does a cleaning or maid service have to double hire and double schedule for no-shows?

With my experience being what I have witnessed, I have not seen $15-$20/hour jobs going to illegals. More importantly, I am not seeing a surplus of $15-$20/hour jobs available to illegals or US citizens. I see illegals (or immigrants in general) being hired because they will work harder, longer, and for less money than their American counterparts. That is the reality of things on the ground here in southwest Georgia. As for a cleaning or maid service having to double hire/schedule for no-shows, I suspect that ultimately has a lot to do with the kind of person that is commonly attracted by that kind of work and pay. Perhaps maid services pay more where you live, but it's a minimum wage or slightly better job here. For all I know, unemployment might not be a real problem where you are.

The three people you spoke of inquiring at Domino's were all turned down, while the point is made of no experience or education necessary. It probably has more to do with the caliber of people that realistically expect to be capable of landing a $35k job knowing that they do not wish to work for Domino's, or they already have one. As for the people that do not realistically expect to be capable of landing a $35k job, most of them probably do not want to waste their time hoping.

So to get back on topic:

Is the border secure?

Wrong. They won't detain. He in fact is using Obama as a excuse for not detaining, but from what I have read he has the ability to give that order on his own.

All they are doing is going to stand there and refer and deter. That was the quote from the General that was with him. Pretty much the same thing is going to happen, these people are going to show up and find them and say take me here. 12 million dollars in mannequins and tour guides a month.

I don't expect it too do much except for give more people for these kids to turn themselves into. I truly believe this is nothing but a show for for 2016. Perry is even banking on being reimbursed by the Federal Govt.

Also if some numbers put out are correct, then the number of children coming over has been halved the past couple of weeks.

Preliminary data shows that Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) apprehensions have dropped from around 355 children a day last month to 150 children or less per day in recent weeks. CBP did not return a CBS News request to confirm those figures.

"While the reasons for the reduction and the number of unaccompanied children and adults traveling with children apprehended by CBP cannot be attributed to any one factor, we do believe that the administration's response and efforts to work with Central American leaders to publicize the dangers of the journey and reinforce that apprehended migrants are ultimately returned to their home countries in keeping with the law, as well as seasonal flows, have all played a part," Earnest said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gov-rick-perry-deploying-up-to-1000-national-guard-troops-to-border/

If those numbers are right that is. I don't know if I trust either side to give real numbers.

No the Federal govt isn't doing enough. I will agree with Perry on that this:

Perry said. “They’ve been lured here by policies put into place that basically said, ‘If you will come here and you cross that river, you can stay here in America.’ That’s a siren song that has to stop.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/seeking-redemption-in-2016-rick-perry-finds-power-in-immigration-standoff/2014/07/21/243f7c48-10dc-11e4-98ee-daea85133bc9_story.html

As I said, I believe you have to take away the incentives. That starts with things like our policies that are in place at the moment and not being strict/hard enough on those within our borders that support and encourage illegals.

I would even like to see us switch to a system of immigration that is like Australia's, where you are required to fit skill needs of the country for immigration.

With my experience being what I have witnessed, I have not seen $15-$20/hour jobs going to illegals. More importantly, I am not seeing a surplus of $15-$20/hour jobs available to illegals or US citizens. I see illegals (or immigrants in general) being hired because they will work harder, longer, and for less money than their American counterparts. That is the reality of things on the ground here in southwest Georgia. As for a cleaning or maid service having to double hire/schedule for no-shows, I suspect that ultimately has a lot to do with the kind of person that is commonly attracted by that kind of work and pay. Perhaps maid services pay more where you live, but it's a minimum wage or slightly better job here. For all I know, unemployment might not be a real problem where you are.

The three people you spoke of inquiring at Domino's were all turned down, while the point is made of no experience or education necessary. It probably has more to do with the caliber of people that realistically expect to be capable of landing a $35k job knowing that they do not wish to work for Domino's, or they already have one. As for the people that do not realistically expect to be capable of landing a $35k job, most of them probably do not want to waste their time hoping.

I'm not sure if you got a chance to read my examples above on construction etc... My main point is, whether for or against it, good ole capitalism, really isn't that hard to figure out.

I think everyone understands the Education part. Not always but usually, Higher Ed = Higher pay. If not educated, get job - work hard, try to work your way up. If one can't move up, start looking for another job, where one feels they can move up. While working hard to move-up, deliver pizza, wait tables, bar tend or mow grass, on the side etc...

Another example: good friend of mine, was a city cop. Small town city cops don't get paid allot. So he started cutting grass on the side. 7 years later he is lawn and landscaping his way to $30G's per month. Not a year but per month. He pays his help starting $13 per hour and let's them move up to $16 per hour.

So to get back on topic:

Is the border secure?

Are you moderating or, are you just posting?

There is nothing in my post that would make any rational human being to wonder or need to ask.

Wrong. They won't detain. He in fact is using Obama as a excuse for not detaining, but from what I have read he has the ability to give that order on his own.

All they are doing is going to stand there and refer and deter. That was the quote from the General that was with him. Pretty much the same thing is going to happen, these people are going to show up and find them and say take me here. 12 million dollars in mannequins and tour guides a month.

I don't expect it too do much except for give more people for these kids to turn themselves into. I truly believe this is nothing but a show for for 2016. Perry is even banking on being reimbursed by the Federal Govt.

If they are not going to do anything, I would say it's posturing and show. If they do in fact deter border crossings then I would have to think they did at least try. But 1,000 NG troops cannot secure the entire Texas border.

I think everyone understands the Education part. Not always but usually, Higher Ed = Higher pay. If not educated, get job - work hard, try to work your way up. If one can't move up, start looking for another job, where one feels they can move up. While working hard to move-up, deliver pizza, wait tables, bar tend or mow grass, on the side etc...

Another example: good friend of mine, was a city cop. Small town city cops don't get paid allot. So he started cutting grass on the side. 7 years later he is lawn and landscaping his way to $30G's per month. Not a year but per month. He pays his help starting $13 per hour and let's them move up to $16 per hour.

We should probably quit derailing the thread. We can continue in PM or another thread if you like.

If they are not going to do anything, I would say it's posturing and show. If they do in fact deter border crossings then I would have to think they did at least try. But 1,000 NG troops cannot secure the entire Texas border.

I doubt 10,000 troops can secure the entire Texas border. More importantly, there are other borders, and tunnels too.

I doubt 10,000 troops can secure the entire Texas border. More importantly, there are other borders, and tunnels too.

Yes there are but we are talking about Texas. :) Those other states could conceivably call up the NG as well.

This has all been coming to a head for years. It has just been getting worse recently.

Yes there are but we are talking about Texas. :) Those other states could conceivably call up the NG as well.

This has all been coming to a head for years. It has just been getting worse recently.

These illegals apparently did not get the memo: Don't Mess with Texas.

Moving back to a serious point, other states could indeed. However, I do not envision this being a problem that can ultimately be solved with more border security. We have had more border security than we should really need out there trying to interdict illegals and drug traffic for quite some time. I think an attempt to make it go away by throwing bodies at it is always going to be a strategy doomed to failure by being outnumbered or bribery. A massive wall is the only security resource that might help, but I think even that is the wrong answer.

Archived