2021 4* QB Aaron McLaughlin Decommits From AU (2/4/20)

WarEagleAU

It's not every day that a team cuts a 4*, 6'4" 225 pound pro style QB loose. Particularly when the current OC recruited him heavily while he was the HC at Arky and the current HC had previously approved accepting his commitment. If we did, indeed, cut the guy loose instead of vice-versa, a better option needs to show up and in a hurry. Recently, schools have started taking their QB early and let him be a leader in helping recruit the balance of the class. 

Lets hope this wasn't a blunder on our part.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's not every day that a team cuts a 4*, 6'4" 225 pound pro style QB loose. Particularly when the current OC recruited him heavily while he was the HC at Arky and the current HC had previously approved accepting his commitment. If we did, indeed, cut the guy loose instead of vice-versa, a better option needs to show up and in a hurry. Recently, schools have started taking their QB early and let him be a leader in helping recruit the balance of the class. 

Lets hope this wasn't a blunder on our part.

tumblr_pbkitoKnfL1rb9618o2_250.gifv

• 3 months later...

What an absolute head scratching downgrade for him

More immediate playing time I guess?

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not really. NC St is likely going to struggle this year but overall it's a solid program. You seem to think very little of schools & programs who aren't the top 10-15.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Which part of it is so head scratching?

P5 program, he might walk in as a day 1 starter, Raleigh is consistently rated as one of the top cities in the country to live in, NC State has averaged 273 yards a game in the air for the last 3 years under Doeren (over that same time frame- with 2 years of Stidham and a year of Nix- Auburn has averaged 221 per. That's a 600 yard difference over 12 games), and- this is the real kicker- there are 5 NC State QBs in the NFL. Ryan Finley was drafted in the 4th round in 2018. The other 4 are Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Jacoby Brissett and Mike Glennon. Glennon was the only one of those guys not to get a start in 2019. He and Finley were the only ones not to get at least 15 starts. That's QBU territory.

Also, a downgrade from what? Auburn? He didn't choose to downgrade from us.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not really. NC St is likely going to struggle this year but overall it's a solid program. You seem to think very little of schools & programs who aren't the top 10-15.

Not necessarily I just hold Auburn highly and this kid could have gone to almost any P5 school. It’s not unreasonable to say NCST is a downgrade from Auburn. 

That being said, I already stated it makes more sense considering playing time there would be much more likely right away. Again, really wanted this kid. 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which part of it is so head scratching?

P5 program, he might walk in as a day 1 starter, Raleigh is consistently rated as one of the top cities in the country to live in, NC State has averaged 273 yards a game in the air for the last 3 years under Doeren (over that same time frame- with 2 years of Stidham and a year of Nix- Auburn has averaged 221 per. That's a 600 yard difference over 12 games), and- this is the real kicker- there are 5 NC State QBs in the NFL. Ryan Finley was drafted in the 4th round in 2018. The other 4 are Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Jacoby Brissett and Mike Glennon. Glennon was the only one of those guys not to get a start in 2019. He and Finley were the only ones not to get at least 15 starts. That's QBU territory.

Also, a downgrade from what? Auburn? He didn't choose to downgrade from us.

Did we tell him to de-commit?

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I don't know how the message was communicated, but it is my understanding that everyone involve knew very soon after Morris was hired that he was looking for a different kind of QB. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know how the message was communicated, but it is my understanding that everyone involve knew very soon after Morris was hired that he was looking for a different kind of QB. 

Oh that makes a lot more sense. Still a shame. Based off the guys offered I assume Morris wants a more legitimate Dual Threat.

Just now, Zeek said:

Oh that makes a lot more sense. Still a shame. Based off the guys offered I assume Morris wants a more legitimate Dual Threat.

Agreed. He targeted very similar guys (to each other, not to AMac). I love that he seems to know exactly what he wants and it looks like he might get his top guy. 

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

this kid could have gone to almost any P5 school

Nope. NC State and Miami are his best comparable offers right now.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It’s not unreasonable to say NCST is a downgrade from Auburn

Absolutely not but that’s not how your OP comes across. Your OP comes across like you’re basically calling them the chopped liver of the P5 schools which is absolutely not the case. He didn’t have a committable offer from Auburn so there’s really no point comparing NC State to Auburn. This thread is in the rivals section for a reason. We stopped recruiting him when Chad Morris was hired. There’s really no point on lamenting on him or the school he choose at this point for a what might have been. I’m happy for him. He should do much better in their system then he would’ve done in a Chad Morris system.

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We stopped recruiting him. When you don’t recruit a commit that’s basically telling them to move on. I call it derecruiting them.

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I assume Morris wants a more legitimate Dual Threat

To be brutally honest I don’t think his high school dual threat abilities will transfer to that in college. He’s probably gonna be a big arm pocket passer thrower.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope. NC State and Miami are his best comparable offers right now.

Absolutely not but that’s not how your OP comes across. Your OP comes across like you’re basically calling them the chopped liver of the P5 schools which is absolutely not the case. He didn’t have a committable offer from Auburn so there’s really no point comparing NC State to Auburn. This thread is in the rivals section for a reason. We stopped recruiting him when Chad Morris was hired. There’s really no point on lamenting on him or the school he choose at this point for a what might have been. I’m happy for him. He should do much better in their system then he would’ve done in a Chad Morris system.

My intention was solely that ditching Auburn to end up with NC State would be a downgrade. Didn’t realize we mutually parted. In context it makes more sense.

Originally I was viewing this as a top tier recruit flipping from Auburn to NCST which would be odd without cause.

I’m excited to see him develop and hopefully give Clemson and UNC hell.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To be brutally honest I don’t think his high school dual threat abilities will transfer to that in college. He’s probably gonna be a big arm pocket passer thrower.

Oh yeah I meant Morris not wanting this kid because he’d rather have a more mobile option than AM.

13 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

QB's who can run make the playoffs. Look at last year. I'm happy with who we have.

My view has always been, find a QB first and if he can run, even better. But he's gotta be a QB. I think maybe there are more guys who fit both bills each year, but they're still limited in quantity, especially since everybody wants one. That said, Morris finds them. He found them at Clemson and it sure looks like he just found one for us. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

My view has always been, find a QB first and if he can run, even better. But he's gotta be a QB. I think maybe there are more guys who fit both bills each year, but they're still limited in quantity, especially since everybody wants one. That said, Morris finds them. He found them at Clemson and it sure looks like he just found one for us. 

Yup. At minimum nowadays you want an accurate QB who is at least mobile. Beyond other attributes accuracy & at least decent arm strength shouldn't be sacrificed much.

Archived