Official 2014 Nip Watch

WarTim

This has been my favorite thing since we came over from Auburn Eagle, well other than destroying War Tiger in his little football thing EVERY YEAR. ;D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

66 right now in western NC...but I'm afraid it will be 95 before it hits 35 around here....but still an appropriate temp for the first day of football practice here....and at AU. WE

Ah, yes, I've been waiting for this..

I usually drink my coffee in the morning on my front porch in my pajamas. Just a few days ago, I walked out wearing some shorts and no shirt (poor neighbors) and thought, "Boy, the nip is near."

And here we are, waiting for its grand arrival..

This exactly. I drink my coffee on my back porch in my pjs(gym shorts and no shirt). This week I ALMOST had to go inside to put a shirt on.

Better call it now. I bet there won't be another morning as cool as is is now before August 30. Get the pic ready.

Just remember folks.....The Nip is about SO much more than just temperature. Don't cheat yourselves.......

Hosting a pool party with a rather large group. I can confirm the nip is in the air. ;) ;)

Hosting a pool party with a rather large group. I can confirm the nip is in the air. ;)/> ;)/>

Again, :thumb_ttiwwop:

:big:

Trying to get me banned?

I was mowing over fallen leaves from my cherry tree yesterday.....fall is getting close!

fyi thats most likely a fungus issue called fire blight....willing to bet the leaves looked as if insects chewed them and have black spots all over.

arrgh!

I appreciate your zeal to inform, but leaf drop this time of year is primarily environmental stress associated as the day length is still long and our northern friends have not had a frost - the other key for senescence.

Too bad for your cherry trees if they do have southern blight, it is time to replant something else that will not be susceptible to the bacteria. I just removed 4 myself for similar reasons.

Sorry guys

Back the topic.

I was mowing over fallen leaves from my cherry tree yesterday.....fall is getting close!

fyi thats most likely a fungus issue called fire blight....willing to bet the leaves looked as if insects chewed them and have black spots all over.

arrgh!

I appreciate your zeal to inform, but leaf drop this time of year is primarily environmental stress associated as the day length is still long and our northern friends have not had a frost - the other key for senescence.

Too bad for your cherry trees if they do have southern blight, it is time to replant something else that will not be susceptible to the bacteria. I just removed 4 myself for similar reasons.

Sorry guys

Back the topic.

e16097c8.jpg

Same here, but only because a storm split one of my Bradford pears like a twig a while back.

The wife has been watching a girly movie/tv show marathon the past week. Getting it in while she can. Nip is on in my neck of the woods.

dude!

I've got mental images of the nip and you go all "fire fungus" on us?!?!

I felt the NIP raising the hair on my arms today when a friend called and wanted to talk about our local high school's schedule and expectations. Up unto that point I hadn't really thought much about football and the upcoming fall season. To me the NIP is about the excitement that my weekends are about to be consumed by my favorite sport, attending Smiths Station and Auburn games, watching for the next big prospect, expecting to see a play that I'll never see duplicated again, the cool weather, spending more time with my family instead of mowing the lawn... ;) , the fact that I'll be wearing my Auburn sweater soon, and discussing the latest game with you guys on AUFAMILY. And that's only a small part of the NIP to me. So here's to the NIP my friends :cheers:

...Living the Creed.

Creed my friend...You definitely "get" the Nip!!!

Under the carport grilling. STRANGE cool breeze blowing.......

Really, War Tim? August 1st to begin the Nip Watch? Isn't that too predictable?

Anyway, after last year leaving me with wanting more, I have been imaging the Nip for a few weeks now...

I happened to be in the NC mountains for a wedding today. It was a nice, cool 75 or so. As I drove home (across this long, long, needlessly long state), weather started moving in. For 5 hours, it looked like the middle of october or beginning of november. Low, puffy, grey clouds that you could swear was about to unleash blasts of cold, driving, misty wind. It looked like I needed a jacket.

Here, just 45 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean, on August 3rd...it's going to be 76 degrees as a high. Fall practice has started. ESPNU is playing last year's game reruns. Pro football preseason games start next week.

It's coming, good sirs...it's coming.

Really, War Tim? August 1st to begin the Nip Watch? Isn't that too predictable?

Anyway, after last year leaving me with wanting more, I have been imaging the Nip for a few weeks now...

Two weeks ago would have been too soon. A week from now would be too late. Your point?

All is well.......

After the cool temps this week and then watching the AU/UGA game last night and hearing the crowd and the band in the background, I am feeling like I'm coming down with a bad case of the nip...

WDE!!!

I went cycling yesterday at sunrise. I should have hosed off my bike, having coated it in sweat. No signs down here.

A major part of the charm of the Nip Watch is is having a few weeks to contemplate and wish for the Nip. It elevates the joy when War Tim calls it. It is one of the cherished traditions of this board that I love.

Archived