Believe in Ricardo

WFE12

Ricardo is my favorite player on the team and I believe that he can take that step and wreak havoc and really garner the attention for his playmaking abilities, he's heard people complaining about his drops and he's ready.

Everywhere Ricardo Louis goes, the questions follow.

The Auburn receiver will forever be tied to his miraculous catch against Georgia in 2013. The deflection and catch on the 73-yard pass will forever be part of Auburn lore -- a play that takes a backseat only to the equally impressive "Kick Six" two weeks later against Alabama in the Iron Bowl.

"It’s crazy," Louis said Tuesday. "It still hasn’t like really hit me like, that’s a really great catch, a great play and a great moment to help us move forward in the season. Every time I look at it it’s like, people bring it up all the time. I kind of get tired of it sometimes but at the same time, that’s what people want to see."

The catch will not serve as motivation, however. No, it's one missed opportunity in the BCS National Championship that the rising junior thinks about the most: a low throw from Nick Marshall that could have easily been a touchdown on the Tigers' first possession against Florida State.

"I watch it over and over," Louis said. "I should’ve made the play. What would happen if I would have made that play? That’s how I look at it."

Louis could have made the catch, sure, but in doing so he would have changed his trajectory. What should have been a catch and touchdown would have been a 40-yard gain, he said, if he simply adjusted to Marshall's low pass.

"I started off full speed," Louis said. "If I would’ve just stopped turned around and just – maybe, I was thinking score because I was so wide open."

"Ricardo is one of those guys that we really challenged to take that next step," coach Gus Malzahn said. "Last year was really his first year to really play receiver for an entire year. We really feel like that he has a chance to take that next step."
Brandon Marcello

Ricardo is a hard runner with a lot of momentum (who doesn't have the best of hands granted), Marshall under threw that ball, nothing can make me believe he could've adjusted well enough, caught the ball, and then scored.

Ricardo is a hard runner with a lot of momentum (who doesn't have the best of hands granted), Marshall under threw that ball, nothing can make me believe he could've adjusted well enough, caught the ball, and then scored.

yeah that's what i was thinking,but he stills puts it on himself,just shows how much he expects of himself...

Marshall did under throw. But it did hit him in the hands. It was a flat pass . but it was the biggest game in AU history. Ricardo has to improve his hands

I think Ricardo has what it takes. I'm excited to watch him this fall.

Football is a team sport. I felt blessed to travel to Pasadena. I am proud of the whole team. They lifted my expectations last year. I think they can do it again this year.

Odd how things often tend to even out. Huge catch and a big drop. Of course, without him catching the UGA pass, we don't even make the title game so I'll take the good with the less than good any time. :)

Duke is a special player and Sammie is a freak and while Ricardo may not be quit as good he runs just as fast, he is more agile and quicker than the other two and he still has good size. When I watch him I think of Quan Bray in a bigger body. Honesly the 3 of them should compliment each other well. His hands are good too. Its his thought process that needs adjusting. He thinks about scoring before catching and in doing makes the badly thrown balls impossible to catch.

I wonder about Ricardo. Even the immaculate catch he had, he was way out of position... fortunately the ball still fell in his bread basket . Being consistent will do wonders for him.

I'm not sold on Ricardo yet. He seems to be one of those really good players that disappear from time to time. Against UGA he had a really great game. He then followed that up with having a really bad game against bama. I just question whether or not he goes full speed all the time. Even on the UGA ball he didn't go up and compete for the ball, it looked to me like he gave up on it and got lucky. There were other times when I wasn't sure he was going full speed on a couple overthrows, but I admit that is hard to tell on the TV. He could just be a real smooth runner. But I'd LOVE to see him lay out for a ball every once in a while just to know that he can!

Guy has great speed and size and if he could put it all together I think he has nfl talent. We'll see what he does this year at a very crowded WR spot.

I think Ricardo has what it takes. I'm excited to watch him this fall.

Football is a team sport. I felt blessed to travel to Pasadena. I am proud of the whole team. They lifted my expectations last year. I think they can do it again this year.

he certainly does and the team surprise many again

Odd how things often tend to even out. Huge catch and a big drop. Of course, without him catching the UGA pass, we don't even make the title game so I'll take the good with the less than good any time. :)

yeah that's the attitude, i would like him to not be so hard on himself for it but, that's extra motivation so...

Duke is a special player and Sammie is a freak and while Ricardo may not be quit as good he runs just as fast, he is more agile and quicker than the other two and he still has good size. When I watch him I think of Quan Bray in a bigger body. Honesly the 3 of them should compliment each other well. His hands are good too. Its his thought process that needs adjusting. He thinks about scoring before catching and in doing makes the badly thrown balls impossible to catch.

yeah, he's definitely got what it takes, know he'll do better in that regard this season, then next season he'll have a even bigger role since there's a big chance duke and sammie will be gone

I'm not sold on Ricardo yet. He seems to be one of those really good players that disappear from time to time. Against UGA he had a really great game. He then followed that up with having a really bad game against bama. I just question whether or not he goes full speed all the time. Even on the UGA ball he didn't go up and compete for the ball, it looked to me like he gave up on it and got lucky. There were other times when I wasn't sure he was going full speed on a couple overthrows, but I admit that is hard to tell on the TV. He could just be a real smooth runner. But I'd LOVE to see him lay out for a ball every once in a while just to know that he can!

Guy has great speed and size and if he could put it all together I think he has nfl talent. We'll see what he does this year at a very crowded WR spot.

yes, understandable, you'll see a different ricardo this year, definitely more aggressive

As much as I love Ricardo, NOTHING short of seeing a race between the three, would make me believe Ricardo is ANYWHERE close to as fast or quick as Sammie. Duke maybe, but Sammie has world class speed.

He short armed a ball against Bama that could have been a touchdown early in the game. He just needs more reps really. We didn't throw the ball a whole lot last year which made mistakes and drops more prominent when they are big plays. Getting into a rhythm and working with Sammie and Duke will help him. I don't know if he will be at that level but could be a big threat next year and even this year.

He short armed a ball against Bama that could have been a touchdown early in the game. He just needs more reps really. We didn't throw the ball a whole lot last year which made mistakes and drops more prominent when they are big plays. Getting into a rhythm and working with Sammie and Duke will help him. I don't know if he will be at that level but could be a big threat next year and even this year.

This was my perception also. Its like if the ball doesn't fall right in his hands he tends to give up on the catch. Not once have I seen him lay his body out to catch a ball that was a tad long but what the hell, he sure made one of the most prolific catches in the GA game. Just an observance on my part. He still is a very talented kid. WDE!!!

I wonder about Ricardo. Even the immaculate catch he had, he was way out of position... fortunately the ball still fell in his bread basket . Being consistent will do wonders for him.

I watched that game again this weekend and I'm not sure he was out of position as much as NM's throw missed the mark. NM made a few throws that game that were off their mark including one on that same drive that was 3 yds behind Sammie. RL can be a lot better than he was last year but he needs to be consistent.

I don't think any of our receivers sacrificed their bodies for the ball too much and it is extremely difficult to change momentum/direction if the ball is behind you that far. The good news is NM has been working with the receivers on timing all off season. Looking forward to seeing a MUCH improved QB/receiver corps! WarEagle

Archived