VT v. Auburn

VTMike

I keep reading messageboards and people (probable dumb people) making comments the game and how it could be a blowout . Or they think the score will be like 21-27 or something along those lines.

During teh game leading up to the Miami game i kept telling everyone there is no way 50 poitns would be scored. What happened...only 26 points got scored.

In my mind this is going to be like the Miami/Tech game and not like the Auburn/Tenn game. I dont see more then 40 points getting scored in thsi game. This game matchs 2 of the top 3 scoring defensives and 2 of the top 5 overall defenses. I think this will be a hard nosed defensive struggle.

This hokie team has allowed only 26 points in teh last 3 games.

I agree. I don't see either team putting up monster numbers. VA Tech is well coached. Give Beamer and his staff a month to come up with a game plan, and I have no doubt you guys will be ready to play.

I'll admit that I don't know much about VA Tech offensively, so I don't want to comment on what happens when you have the ball, but I could easily see this game being either like your Miami game or our Alabama game.

I don't think we'll blow you out unless you guys commit some uncharacteristic errors. But I do think we'll score more than Miami or any of the other ACC teams you've dealt with. This is probably the best, most balanced offense you'll have faced all year. USC was in it's first game and hadn't gelled then or I'd mention them too.

We're hoping for a blowout just to make a case for a share of the national title, but it'll be an uphill battle to do so.

hi mike, and welcome to the board.

i fixed your misspelling of auburn the two times you did it.

wasn't sure if you were trying to be cute, were in a hurry and simply mistyped, or really didn't know how to spell auburn.

as far as the game goes, i expect va tech to be the best team auburn's played all year. i do not think any knowledgeable fan will downplay the challenge each team will pose to the other.

finally: how in the world did you guys lose to ncsu?

ct

We have scored and avg of about 36 pts a game except for the LSU game where we hadnt even caught fire yet. I know Tech has one of the top 5 defenses in the country but so does alabama and we still put up 28 on them.

I see about a 7-11 pt difference

something like 31-20

Guest Tigrinum Major

I would be hoping for a blowout, but realistically, I think the line is about right, maybe a little too high. I look for a 21-17, 24-17 type of game.

I just hope that Beamer has lost the magic with kick blocks or VA Tech could pull one out...

As a grad of both Auburn and Va. Tech, I too think it will be close. I'm surprised the bookies have Auburn a 7 point favorite. The over/under is 44 which I think is also little high. So I will predict:

Auburn 20-Va.Tech 17

I agree it could be low scoring...VT has the benefit of seeing how bama slowed downt he auburn offense...in the firs half of that game they played strong against the run and 2nd they made sure they stopped the screen passes....Only a very very talented defense can do those things...but bama and VT are both very talented defenses....Of course, if all of the focus is on stoppign the screens and the run then there will be vulnerable spots int he mid-level and deep passing routes...campell has shown he can beat teams like that...but there is always the possibility that bad things can happen when you have to make big completions...an unlucky drop(ahem cooper wallace)...a bobble and then a interception...these type of things could get auburn beat....

I still think auburn will win, but there are a lot of ways things COULD go wrong win you play virginia tech...watch out for the punt blocks...if georgia can block the rugby punt so can VT...

I think our defensive ends are gonna get some good licks in on the VT QB and take him out of his game...and then auburn should have smooth sailing after a couple of big offensive plays that borges will unveil...then the ronnie and cadillac show as we start to run effectivley in the second half.....

Auburn 29-14

Then the rest of the SEC sweeps there games and it becomes obvious that auburn is the best team from the best conference and they will get half the MNC.

More anecdotal evidence that points to a low scoring game. Auburn's last three trips to the Super Dome haven't been so super, especially for the Offense.

1984 Sugar Bowl: W 9- 7

1988 Sugar Bowl: T 16- 16

1989 Sugar Bowl: L 7 - 13

In the last 3 games in the Super Dome, Auburn scored a total of 32 pts, or just under 11 pts per game.

Auburn Offense - regular season.

1983: 27 pts per game

1987: 27 pts per game

1988: 30 pts per game

The 2004 version of the Tiger Offense is averaging just over 33 pts a game.

I too, think it will be low-scoring...I expect a 17-14 type of game. It will be interesting to see if Campbell can hit the big passing play in this game...this is the best secondary we've ever had @ VT so if he can that is saying something.

Going to be a great game between two great fanbases. I wish I could get down to NO for it.

Hey - maybe if USC wins, Frank can get on the news after our game and tell the world that AU is the superior team. ;)

As for how we lost to NCSU. They blitzed us. Gave up 10 sacks and missed 3 FGs.

I expect a 20-14 type of game. These defenses are too good to give up 30+ to either squad.

VT on offense plays pretty close to the vest. Power running with Imoh and Humes, play action to the TE (King and Mazzetta). Clowney, Royal and Hyman do have some speed on the outside to catch the ball downfield but they are somewhat inexperienced (2 freshmen and a soph).

No way it will be a blowout. I hope it will be but the defenses are to good. I am worried about our punting and getting a block, but I know that Coach Gran is addressing that.

We have scored and avg of about 36 pts a game except for the LSU game where we hadnt even caught fire yet. I know Tech has one of the top 5 defenses in the country but so does alabama and we still put up 28 on them.

28? Wasn't it 21-13?

Have you all played anyone this year with a good dual-threat QB, and if so, did that seem to give your D any problems?

That's been one of our biggest advantages this year.

Also, does Jason Campbell run much?

130829[/snapback]

Youre right Olderwhiskey. my bad. fat finger syndrome.

anyhow, to answer your question, about the only dual threat was the Randall/Russell LSU game. There was Shockley at UGALY, i dont either of them Marcus Randall at LSU was prob the best.

Have you all played anyone this year with a good dual-threat QB, and if so, did that seem to give your D any problems?

130829[/snapback]

We havent played a whole game against a dual threat qb that i can think of. we did play against schaeffer from tennessee and shockley from georgia for a couple of series. we handled both of them pretty well but randall definately worries me. he is very smart and can scramble well. i think he will struggle early but could have some big plays once our defense gets a little tired in the second half.

Like Tigerdog and Bearsdead said only the LSU and UGA games, but the QB change did not play into the game at all. No, Jason Campbell does not run a lot, but he can. He has average speed. He ran the ball more in the SEC CG than he had all year on designed plays by Borges. It showed when he put the ball on the turf. He has had the luxury of having a good pass blocking front so he can stand in the pocket.

VT has a good defense, they only gave up 26 points in the last three games, but look who they played. Maryland, Virginia, and Miami. None of which are offensive dominating teams. By far will be one of the better defenses we have seen this year, Bama and LSU being the other good ones. Just hoping Will Herring will have figured out again were he is supposed to be and we fix the problem with that particluar play UT had with the fake reverse and handing off up the gut. Good ball game with AU on top.

AU 27 VT 13

Actually coming in, Miami was averaging 392 yds of total offense, and UVA was averaging 436 yds of total offense. We held UVA to 299 yds, and Miami to 190 yds of total offense. Maryland's offense was inept so they don't really count (although they somehow pulled a victory over FSU from their butts), but we allowed UVA 10 points and Miami 10 points, not too shabby.

BUT I do agree that AU will be the best offense we've seen all year. USC's O may be better right now, but AU's O in the Sugar Bowl will be better than USC's back in August.

130829[/snapback]

1. Tennessee- we put up 31 in the first half.

2. He runs when he has to.

Archived