Post Game Thread

JamesG

My point was when it mattered, our D stood up. It was a lot like last year. They got gashed all game long, but had interceptions (two in the end zone). CSS feared our O more than our D, but then again, his O is much better than his D, so it was an easy choice.

If his O, which isn't that good, can do that, what do you suppose a team with a good O and D are going to do without having to resort to 4th down gambles?

28th in the nation, 5th in the SEC in total offense. That's actually pretty good.

We're 41st, btw.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was when it mattered, our D stood up. It was a lot like last year. They got gashed all game long, but had interceptions (two in the end zone). CSS feared our O more than our D, but then again, his O is much better than his D, so it was an easy choice.

Then it came back and bit us in the championship game...but even last year we had a pass rush. You're not winning a championship without a pass rush

I apologize if these points have been mentioned elsewhere.

I would temper my conclusions of the defensive performance by considering the opponent.

SC has an above average offensive line(returning 4 starters from last year's team), a 5th year senior at qb, a tailback who will play in the bigs led by one of the greatest offensive minds in college football.

Auburn's defense did force SC to run 14 3rd down plays (in comparison Auburn only had to run 8 plays on 3rd down) and 6 4th down plays.While it is unfortunate Auburn's defense only stopped one of the 4th down plays the fact the defense forced those is important. If Spurrier had been less desperate OR if Auburn had stopped a couple of them the game would've evolved into a beatdown along the lines of '10 SEC championship game.

Well how have their o line been playing against everybody else? Fact is preseason rankings don't matter how have they actually performed?

I apologize if these points have been mentioned elsewhere.

I would temper my conclusions of the defensive performance by considering the opponent.

SC has an above average offensive line(returning 4 starters from last year's team), a 5th year senior at qb, a tailback who will play in the bigs led by one of the greatest offensive minds in college football.

Auburn's defense did force SC to run 14 3rd down plays (in comparison Auburn only had to run 8 plays on 3rd down) and 6 4th down plays.While it is unfortunate Auburn's defense only stopped one of the 4th down plays the fact the defense forced those is important. If Spurrier had been less desperate OR if Auburn had stopped a couple of them the game would've evolved into a beatdown along the lines of '10 SEC championship game.

Yeah, I think it's odd folks seem to be ignoring this point.

I said that myself, I'd buy that, kamikaze team with nothing to lose is hard to play. Now we should have stopped at least 3 of those but yeah......

I can't buy that they have 3 draft picks and all of that. First off most of the elite teams do. Even some not elite like arky...hell we do and we had games where we haven't dominated a lower team.

Second you are what you play like. Last year in the pre season they said we were a 7 win team but we were a team so dominant we didn't even have to pass a couple of games. It can't be the team sucks then when we struggle well....actually they are sort of good...

I agree -- we are what we play like. But there are choices that make a difference. For example, and switching to offense, CRL said that they consciously tried to get us in something more like 3rd and manageable situations, just like we did last year. That was a great adjustment coming from the off week, and it worked like a charm. We were basically unstoppable on offense. I think most of the lulls we experienced last year and this happen when we move away from that formula. We need to get to 3rd and 3 or less and call plays on first and second downs to make that happen more.

So, what could we do on defense? It seemed like CEJ experimented with rushing only 3 at times against South Carolina. I'm not sure that worked. But I hope the coaches will take another look and see what puts us in the best position to get the defense off the field as quickly as possible. Strategic choices, like the ones made by the offense, need to be made for the D, given our current difficulties getting pressure on the QB.

It's only so much they can do....a good d line can cover up alot but when you're not getting it, it can expose alot of bad stuff too. We basically need somebody to become a stud at d end. Somebody that can draw a double team and make it easier on everybody. I don't know who it can be though

Well how have their o line been playing against everybody else? Fact is preseason rankings don't matter how have they actually performed?

Well enough to average 35 points a game.

And where in my post do I mention anything about preseason rankings?

Archived