Post Game Thread

JamesG

So none of you don't think any blame is on coach Rodney? Wow.

I agree ( see my post above). My biggest concern is that we here announcers talk about Wright taking plays "off" but he continues to play. Makes me wonder

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Defense is basically our offense.

I have never heard of a team that goes 5 for 6 on 4th down conversions!

Goes for it on 4th and 5 and 4th and 8. Shows how much respect Spurrier had for our defense. NONE!

Or it showed how much confidence he had in his defense stopping AUs offense. None.

Our Defense is basically our offense.

I have never heard of a team that goes 5 for 6 on 4th down conversions!

Goes for it on 4th and 5 and 4th and 8. Shows how much respect Spurrier had for our defense. NONE!

Or it showed how much confidence he had in his defense stopping AUs offense. None.

I think this is the correct answer....he had nothing to lose by taking those chances... if he was successful he kept us off the field a little longer....but either way AU was going to put up 7 points within a couple minutes.

Glad for the win. For those that can' t see that USC had nothing to lose and was willing to pull out all stops to get the victory was not watching the same game as me. I've said it before and i will say it again, AU is a better than average team. Not great but not average either. We win with very little wiggle room. In order for us to win out, it will take a great effort and a some luck. With the exception of a few players, this is the same team as last year. My point is look at the way games were won last year and that is what will need to happen this year. It won't be a miracle hail mary or return missed field goal, but it will take some strange play to happen to pull games out. Here is to hoping that we get a chance to see those type things happen this year too.

Glad for the win. For those that can' t see that USC had nothing to lose and was willing to pull out all stops to get the victory was not watching the same game as me. I've said it before and i will say it again, AU is a better than average team. Not great but not average either. We win with very little wiggle room. In order for us to win out, it will take a great effort and a some luck. With the exception of a few players, this is the same team as last year. My point is look at the way games were won last year and that is what will need to happen this year. It won't be a miracle hail mary or return missed field goal, but it will take some strange play to happen to pull games out. Here is to hoping that we get a chance to see those type things happen this year too.

Someone stated this earlier, the Head Ball Coach knows CEJ well, he is a superior offensive minded genius and he wanted this game crazy bad. Siaf it himself would have been one if the biggest win of his career. Our defense is a work in progress and has showed signs of improvement and these last couple of games shows how important it is for everyone to work together in order for this defense to be effective. We will get better and we will win out. TRUST! Expectations may be high but I'd rather expect to contend for championships then hope to just get to a bowl game. War Eagle! Big win

With those two we could be great. We miss Lawson greater than we every thought. Our DE's took two steps backward last night.

We won, not pretty on D but we won. Never been more disgusted by our...................... message board fan base! some posters should be banned for life.

that's a ridiculous post. maybe you should just stay off the message board during the game. I didnt see anything unreasonable being said except by a few who were just trying to stir things up. If you think you are going to get rainbows and butterflies during a defensive performance like that, you are delusional.

Can we get people not to question the effort of the D?

;-)

The only statement about the D effort is if that is what our best effort gets us, then wow, we are in for some beatdowns down the road. It's obvious our guys give effort, it's just a shame that effort gives little to no results as it did tonight. So where does the responsibility lie?

Spurrier called a great game tonight, and his players did a really good job of executing what he called. When any offense is run by someone like that, and it executes, it's difficult to stop. Ask little Nicky about defending our offense. The deck is stacked in favor of the offense. That's just the nature of the game.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the results tonight on D. I'm not saying they played their best game. But the team did find a way to win, and the D players were giving effort.

Given all this, I just don't think it's right to criticize the players on D for not giving effort. That's all.

I'm guessing that the coaches will help the players see what they need to do to get better, and the players will try as hard as they can to do those things. I'm more interested in that sort of accountability than I am in holding anyone responsible.

Agreed^^ if anyone deserves blame it should be coach Ellis. Might get flamed on but it is the truth. It should not take us this long on how to get a pass rush installed on d. Hate to say it but, he did go winless at southern miss for a reason. If anyone needs practice it should be him, because he just got schooled tonite. Game film should be his assignment from tonite up until Wednesday.

Install a pass rush???? NEWS FLASH: if you don't have good pass rushers, IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU INSTALL. We lost Dee and Carl and the guys behind them haven't stepped up. PERIOD. Monty Adams can't do it by himself on the interior.

A great D-coordinator would already have a decent pass rush without Dee or Carl. No excuses

We won, not pretty on D but we won. Never been more disgusted by our...................... message board fan base! some posters should be banned for life.

that's a ridiculous post. maybe you should just stay off the message board during the game. I didnt see anything unreasonable being said except by a few who were just trying to stir things up. If you think you are going to get rainbows and butterflies during a defensive performance like that, you are delusional.

Can we get people not to question the effort of the D?

;-)

The only statement about the D effort is if that is what our best effort gets us, then wow, we are in for some beatdowns down the road. It's obvious our guys give effort, it's just a shame that effort gives little to no results as it did tonight. So where does the responsibility lie?

Spurrier called a great game tonight, and his players did a really good job of executing what he called. When any offense is run by someone like that, and it executes, it's difficult to stop. Ask little Nicky about defending our offense. The deck is stacked in favor of the offense. That's just the nature of the game.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the results tonight on D. I'm not saying they played their best game. But the team did find a way to win, and the D players were giving effort.

Given all this, I just don't think it's right to criticize the players on D for not giving effort. That's all.

Who's blaming the players? The talent is there.. This is a purely a coaching issue.

I will concede that Spurrier is definitely familiar with Eliis Johnson's Defensive scheme and that give him an advantage. But when a team goes for it 6 times on 4th down (and we are not talking 4th and inches either, but 4th and 5 and 4th and 8 on their own side of the field) and makes it, then that is all on the coaching.

Can you see a Tommy Tuberville or a Pat Dye team giving up 5 4th down conversions out of 6? I sure don't.

At least one of our Defensive players is mad, Cass McKenzy. He specifically stated that he hates the idea that SC had NO RESPECT for our Defense.

This is all on Eliis Johnson and the defensive coaching staff.

Where were the blitzes? It sure seemed like most of SC's pass plays were intermediate to deep throws. Ellis has had success there when he dials them up, but he seemed much more conservative last night. We had plenty of windows... We'll have to be doing that early and often to disrupt the QB, especially in our next two games.

Some folks in the game thread were blaming players.

Yep, but it's the coaches responsibility to put the players in position to make plays and from what I saw it was mass confusion all night long

I didn't get a chance to do the game thread last night, so this may have been mentioned. I didn't get to see the game - went to the Clemson HC game with my wife.

The D was bad, but remember CEJ was HBC's DC for several years. Could this have been a situation where Spurrier knew tendencies and exactly where and how to attack?

Guest jojo1515

Well wouldn't that work both ways though? Shouldn't cej know some things about spurrier as well?

Well wouldn't that work both ways though? Shouldn't cej know some things about spurrier as well?

Cmon now, you can't use logic that way......it was only a possible advantage for Spurrier. Of course, seeing as how we never have an effective game plan on D til the second half (yes I'm implying that his pre-game planning is less than stellar) it is possible that EJ never paid attention to Spurriers O cause he never had to look at the 1st half failures against him.....until now of course

We survived Spurrier and SoCar's offense at their very best. Our defensive line has issues. Secondary can't cover all night when there's no pressure on the QB. Offense played well, Marshall went 12 for 14, made good decisions. Only 1 turnover, Bray just trying to get more yards on the punt return.

Overall, SoCar had this game to still affect the SEC and they played all-out. We survived and will be a better team for it. I think we needed a nail-biting, 4-quarter, down-to-the-wire game to prepare us for the rest of the season. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe we should just start playing all 4 downs like Spurrier did. I'm not completely against that. Seemed to work most of the time.

I am more in favor of it than most. It made a ton of sense for Spurrier tonight. They really had nothing to lose. The 'problem' is that we are better than most of the teams we play (like tonight), so it would have seemed riskier for us to do it. If we get down by more than two possessions and our D seems like it can't come through, though, I'd vote yes.

The reason they went for it had less to do with our defense and had much more to do with our Offense. We can rely on our D. They could not.

No offense meant, but what game were you watching?

When a team goes for it on 4th and 2 on their own 30 yard line, 4th and 5 from their own 40, and 4th and 8 that does not translate to NO RESPECT FOR OUR DEFENSE? I would say it does. Don't believe me, ask Cassanova McKenzy and Jonathan Jones.

You would not be willing to give our Offense the ball on your side of the field if you were afraid our Defense could stop them.

Maybe we should just start playing all 4 downs like Spurrier did. I'm not completely against that. Seemed to work most of the time.

I am more in favor of it than most. It made a ton of sense for Spurrier tonight. They really had nothing to lose. The 'problem' is that we are better than most of the teams we play (like tonight), so it would have seemed riskier for us to do it. If we get down by more than two possessions and our D seems like it can't come through, though, I'd vote yes.

The reason they went for it had less to do with our defense and had much more to do with our Offense. We can rely on our D. They could not.

No offense meant, but what game were you watching?

When a team goes for it on 4th and 2 on their own 30 yard line, 4th and 5 from their own 40, and 4th and 8 that does not translate to NO RESPECT FOR OUR DEFENSE? I would say it does. Don't believe me, ask Cassanova McKenzy and Jonathan Jones.

You would not be willing to give our Offense the ball on your side of the field if you were afraid our Defense could stop them.

Listen to Spurrier. You can say he had less respect for his defense or far greater respect for our offense than our defense. He knew we could largely score at will and needed to limit our possessions to have even a chance. And he was right. If he punts on those 4 downs, he loses big. Why not risk it?

My point was when it mattered, our D stood up. It was a lot like last year. They got gashed all game long, but had interceptions (two in the end zone). CSS feared our O more than our D, but then again, his O is much better than his D, so it was an easy choice.

My point was when it mattered, our D stood up. It was a lot like last year. They got gashed all game long, but had interceptions (two in the end zone). CSS feared our O more than our D, but then again, his O is much better than his D, so it was an easy choice.

If his O, which isn't that good, can do that, what do you suppose a team with a good O and D are going to do without having to resort to 4th down gambles?

Archived