Sammie Coates will declare for NFL Draft.

auburn4ever

Money doesn't always come first. Good decision-making comes first. Sammie met every expectation at Auburn. He worked his tail off. He got his degree. Now it's time to be a man and enter the work force. Why would you have different expectations for him than you would of other college grads?

The WR corp will include Ricardo Louis, Melvin Ray Jonathan Wallace, and possibly Duke Williams. All seniors. That crowd won't hurt for senior leadership.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the press conference today, Sammie said that since he got his diploma he feels like it's time to take the next step. He said that's what you go to college for, to get a diploma. He said that if he hadn't graduated, then there would be no question on him returning. Good for him. I respect that. It hurts our receiving group, but it also opens up some opportunities for some others to step in the spotlight. He'll get drafted pretty high. I would say more mid to late 2nd round, if he has a good combine. The NFL scouts really like him. His size and speed is what they like the most. Him leaving I think also opens up the door for Burt and T. Johnson to get early playing time if they commit. That should be a huge draw. I have a feeling Duke will stay, but if he has a great bowl game, then he may go too. We still have talent though without them. But Duke returning would be HUGE.

He would have been a legit Heisman contender with JJ at quarterback. Once again Auburn will be without a player who could have provided senior leadership. Disappointing. Money always comes first.

A young man comes to Auburn, plays hard through one of the worst seasons ever, has a great attitude, stays out of trouble, gets his degree, decides to pursue a career that can be very rewarding and begins his life journey as an Auburn man and you call it disappointing. Wow. I guess you walk away from situations that can be beneficial to yourself and your family so some moron on a blog will approve of you. Perhaps you should let Sammie go in peace and work on your values which seem, what's the word, disappointing.

He would have been a legit Heisman contender with JJ at quarterback. Once again Auburn will be without a player who could have provided senior leadership. Disappointing. Money always comes first.

He got his diploma this past Saturday. He came to college and got what everyone else graduates with too. Think if I had my diploma and projected around 2nd rounder i'd be off too. Either taking basket weeving and playing football making $0, or playing football and getting paid mucho denero. Guess he could try for a masters that would be doable in 1yr, but we're just fooling ourselves if we think we're thinking of Sammie's education and not that W after the game.

Sammie has been here for 4 years, he didn't play his Freshman year due to an injury, if he was healthy he would be a Senior this year with no eligibility left( I expect he would have seen the field), and has provided Senior leadership this year as he should have.

I really like what Sammie said about graduating. Props to him for that. Sammie has been great at Auburn. I can understand why some of us would want him to stay -- he's a real deep threat and would make our team better. But Sammie seems ready for the pros to me. Great kid (y'all did see the special on ESPN about his relationship with McKenzie, the little girl with cancer, right?), already earned his degree, impact player, and will absolutely blow up the combine.

Congrats on the degree, good luck in the pros, and War Eagle, Sammie!

Would love for Carolina to pick him up to give Cam the deep threat that Steve Smith used to give him

I would rather Cam left that team entirely.

And find an OL.

OL is their biggest problem. Load up on OL!! Cam is getting kilt back there. And of course, draft a certain wide receiver in the second round of the NFL Draft too...

First off, best of luck to Sammie, and if he's projecting as a 1st or 2nd rounder, he absolutely made the right decision. Its incredibly selfish to expect a player in such a situation to come back and risk severe injury just because he has another year of eligibility. That being said, isn't it a little early to declare? Heaven forbid, if he has a severe injury in the Outback Bowl that affects his draft status, would he be able to come back for his senior year? I don't see the logic in declaring yourself eligible before the bowl game.

Archived