Sammie Coates will declare for NFL Draft.

auburn4ever

The trend that I've noticed is overrating players before they play and then underrating them after we see them play. Duke is a great example. Before the season started, it was almost a consensus on this forum that he was gone after this season. Now that he's lived up to and maybe even exceeded the hype, folks think maybe he's not ready. There are plenty of other examples. Also, folks really love to make wild assumptions about what would happen if players came back (and this season it's a bit out of control).

And some of y'all just really need to quit taking it personally when underclassmen want to leave. Seriously. Quit acting like you're more interested in their well being than their coaches, families and friends. Quit acting like you don't just want their services on your favorite football team for another year. Yes, several of them have self-interested people in their lives who will try to talk them into a bad decision, but do you really think another year of college football is going to fix that? Looking at it another way, there are just as many stories of guys like Lutzenkirchen and Matt Leinart who killed their draft position by coming back for their senior year.

If you want to invoke family, then I'm not sure why you'd be upset about these guys doing what they think is best for them and their families. If you want to invoke the education part of it, then maybe you should be equally concerned about all the guys who use up their eligibility but still don't graduate. You know, like Carnell Williams, who just completed his degree (because, ya know, they can always come back).

:bow: :bow:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry...guess I mistook AU for an educational institution...not an NFL minor league. JMO but we seem to be trending that way....like some basketball programs and their reliance on "one and done" players. I'm proud of the guys who stick it out and get their degrees....and more of those few that come back later because it's not an easy decision for them.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Scout-talks-Coates-Williams-draft-stock-33724367

Article about sammie and duke draft stock. Thought to be late 1st to 4th round picks.

Hmmm this is before workouts....some don't see them getting drafted period though....

Sammie will be a guy who's combine numbers will entice a team to take him early. Possibly too early which we have seen happen plenty of times before just because of combine numbers. Bottom line is they both could benefit from getting huge stats next season (very possible), become better route runners, and improve the finer parts of being a WR. I think they both go though because the injuries they sustained this season most likely made them think "I could get hurt again, and it could be worse".

Well, thats what it would make me think. Especially if I'm Duke. His 2 injuries looked like he could've been carted off the field.

I hope he stays as well. I think he could benefit from another year of running routes and being more consistent on his catches. He seems to always catch the ball when he has two or three guys draping him, but the others, not so much. Plus, I think being in the O with JJ at the helm will be big for him to put up some numbers for the draft.

Injury is always the major concern, as he was slowed this year by one. So he will have to weigh what is in his and his family's best interest.

FWIW a classmate of mine works at the Logan's Steakhouse in TigerTown. It's not uncommon for her to wait on our football players. But she said she waited on Sammie one evening with a couple businessy gentlemen who were acting kinda sketchy while she's trying to be a good server and engaging and whatnot. Sounded like agents to me. Likely talking him into declaring for the draft. But who knows?

FWIW a classmate of mine works at the Logan's Steakhouse in TigerTown. It's not uncommon for her to wait on our football players. But she said she waited on Sammie one evening with a couple businessy gentlemen who were acting kinda sketchy while she's trying to be a good server and engaging and whatnot. Sounded like agents to me. Likely talking him into declaring for the draft. But who knows?

If true you might want to keep something like that on the DL.

I can't stand Mel Kiper. I remember when Emory Blake was a junior he said that Blake was the BEST JUNIOR WR in the country.

Blake didn't even get drafted. LOL!

I can't stand Mel Kiper. I remember when Emory Blake was a junior he said that Blake was the BEST JUNIOR WR in the country.

Blake didn't even get drafted. LOL!

Kiper was right. Then Blake, like Lutz, came back for his senior year and ruined his chance to get drafted.

IDK if you can go from best on the board at your position to not drafted at all, IMO. Blake had some injuries, sure. But not career threatening like Lutz's. Blake just doesn't have NFL ability. He is good at lots of things, but not great at any one thing. Worst case he should've dropped to like the 4th or 5th round if he was the "best". Blake certainly didn't get worse from junior to senior years as a player. His production may have dipped because the team sucked, but I think the NFL looks at what you do with your opportunities, because there are players like Demeriyus (sp?) Thomas that would've been a late round pick after playing in the triple option because his production was likely very low. Just my opinion though, I don't really know how the NFL evaluates completely.

If I'm Sammie or Duke and I get a grade like that, though? You can believe I'd be outtahere.

Kiper was right. Then Blake, like Lutz, came back for his senior year and ruined his chance to get drafted.

Had nothing to do with coming back for Senior season. At no point in time was Blake the best anything.

As he walked across the stage, I sceamed, "Come back, Sammie!" He said he would. (in my mind, at least)

I figure the $$$$ could wait. #noshame

And this is why he's been so frustrating to watch. Seems like a great kid and definitely a great athlete. Just don't think that he's a great football player at this point. If he gets drafted high it will be because of his athleticism and potential, not because of what he has done on the field.

Archived