Sammie Coates will declare for NFL Draft.

auburn4ever

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't physically look the way he looks and run as many go routes as he runs a game especially half the season a messed up hammy and be lazy.....no way on earth

Yeah that doesn't even make sense. Sammie also does charity work and goes to school.....so he is certainly not lazy. These kids have an incredibly packed schedule every single day. He's also been hampered by that injury so at times he's been physically unable to dive and stretch.

Sammie's sister, Jessica, is my nurse at my doctor in Mobile, AL. I go to the doctor every 3 months for my Diabetic check up. We always talk football and she is always pretty open with what Sammie shares with her and his experiences on and off the field. I asked her on Friday, December 5th, about what Sammie planned on doing with is future, either at AU or in the NFL. She said that after the Iron Bowl, Sammie said that was the best he has felt all year and was very happy with his performance in the game, even though we lost the game, he was still positive. She also said that and he Duke know exactly what they will be getting next year if they stay, and they know that Jeremy Johnson will only make their stats better and are excited about that opportunity. She said at this point, Sammie is literally 50-50 on what he wants to do. He has told the family that he is literally 50-50 and will decide soon. She said that they have a great relationship, and Sammie's brother (not sure his name) have both talked to him and talk to him regularly, but neither one of them have gotten an answer from Sammie. Sammie graduates this December, so maybe he gets his degree and goes to the NFL, but with one more year of eligibility, he could also return and barring any injury, increase his draft stock and his potential earnings in the NFL. His sister did say that he has considered the NFL because of the injury he suffered this year, and the possibility of getting hurt next year kind of has him thinking going NFL. Regardless of the choice that he makes, we can all agree that Sammie is an AUBURN MAN through and through, and has been an incredible person of character and integrity while at Auburn. I wish him the best and hope he has much success in the NFL. I do hope that he and Duke both stay and shred defenses and just put up crazy numbers and increase his stock even more to become a first round pick STUD (Not sure how much more studly he can get as he is already a super BEAST). If i find anything else out, I will let you guys know. WAR EAGLE!!!!

You can't physically look the way he looks and run as many go routes as he runs a game especially half the season a messed up hammy and be lazy.....no way on earth

Cole, I think the lazy reference is in regards to his route running and has been the case in many instances this year and last. Sammie may work hard in the gym, etc but his route running fails in comparison to Duke's and other top WR's this year.

I agree he needs to work on his route running and actually Duke needs to as well but he's never shown anything on the field to suggests that he's lazy. And if you're complaining about his performance last year then I doubt you'll ever be satisfied with a wr unless he catches every ball and never has a drop

I agree he needs to work on his route running and actually Duke needs to as well but he's never shown anything on the field to suggests that he's lazy. And if you're complaining about his performance last year then I doubt you'll ever be satisfied with a wr unless he catches every ball and never has a drop

Professional coaches in the NFL will teach these guys how to run routes with the best of 'em. Sammie and Duke are big, athletic guys that can show out on the field when needed ~ I saw it with my own eyes in the IB.

As fans we have the tendency to overrate our own teams players- Darvin Adams, Lutzy, Ziemba, Blake, etc. those guys were all barely drafted- only Ziemba in rd seven. Coates is a great talent but I think he needs one more year to refine his route running. If he gets a very confident round two evaluation, then take th money and go.

I can't speak accurately on how the NFL would view Coates today. But I definitely agree that this board adds a crazy amount of value to AU players and all those names you listed, AubFanCT, are great examples.

Those guys (Ziemba, Blake, Lutz, etc) were all very limited physically. It is not a good comparison, at all.

The NFL is dominated by athletes. That is why Coates will get drafted within the first ~3 rounds whereas Blake can't even make a roster. His physical tools are simply too enticing.

His physical tools and his limitations are glaringly obvious at this stage of development. With the new NFL grading system for underclassmen I'm really intrigued to see how he grades out by the guys who are paid big dollars to make those evaluations.

As fans we have the tendency to overrate our own teams players- Darvin Adams, Lutzy, Ziemba, Blake, etc. those guys were all barely drafted- only Ziemba in rd seven. Coates is a great talent but I think he needs one more year to refine his route running. If he gets a very confident round two evaluation, then take th money and go.

If anything we are too hard on our players, like right now you couldn't go on a bammer board and find somebody dogging Cooper or white when actually both of them have been inconsistent with drops. I can distinctly remember our board being negative on cam Newton, Tre mason, Sammie Coates, cam Payne, Nick Marshall, Chad slade, Kris frost, gabe Wright, shon Coleman, Greg Robinson. Now these are all players that could work on things but these are also guys that have made plenty of plays as well. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have guys like Braden Smith, Jay prosch, Jeff Whitaker, Chris Davis, Alex kozan Sean white, payton barber who really haven't or didn't show as much as many hype them up to be but they are loved and always spoke in a positive context. Now why is that? I don't really know.

Don't know if we are too hard on them or just routinely over-rate our players with all the talk about almost every junior making himself available for the NFL draft.

Saw elsewhere that perhaps 5 underclassmen might explore their NFL draft status....and for the life of me I could not get past Duke and Sammy as realistic NFL prospects....even free agents. I don't know who puts these ideas in their heads.

Ummm ok son, that's clever you went and found a pic and everything.....don't you have a dumb ten question post in which you passive aggressively blurt out misinformed opinions, to go think about?

Don't know if we are too hard on them or just routinely over-rate our players with all the talk about almost every junior making himself available for the NFL draft.

Saw elsewhere that perhaps 5 underclassmen might explore their NFL draft status....and for the life of me I could not get past Duke and Sammy as realistic NFL prospects....even free agents. I don't know who puts these ideas in their heads.

A large number of players think they can play in the NFL, alot of them also come from situations where they and their families are really in need of money. Is it really hard to think that some of them will give a hard look at going to play somewhere where they can provide for their needs?

I get all of the arguments for not going, and most are better long term to stay. But is it really hard to believe 5 would take a hard look at the NFL?

A large number of players think they can play in the NFL, alot of them also come from situations where they and their families are really in need of money. Is it really hard to think that some of them will give a hard look at going to play somewhere where they can provide for their needs?

I get all of the arguments for not going, and most are better long term to stay. But is it really hard to believe 5 would take a hard look at the NFL?

Probably not...though I must have mistook their reasons for coming to AU...almost to a man they talk about the AU family and the chance to get an education, etc. ..and first chance they get (even a remote chance) all that goes out the window? Perhaps playing college level football removes their idealism ...but IMO, the good news, for them and AU, is that I can't see more than one or two juniors making an NFL squad so let 'em look I guess...and in the mean time, it would be good for them to work toward their degree because that is what will feed them in the years ahead.

There's good info and bad. Some take heed to the good and some ride with the bad.....food for thought: staying in school isn't ALWAYS the best choice. Some have missed out on millions by returning. Also I think a players psyche has alot to do with it as well. Sammie being a under the radar guy and Duke being a juco they probably have had people telling them they can't their entire careers. Hearing people tell them so and so is better quite often and they just have in their mind they will prove people wrong. You can tell they went into the bammer game thinking they were going to show who's the better wr.

The trend that I've noticed is overrating players before they play and then underrating them after we see them play. Duke is a great example. Before the season started, it was almost a consensus on this forum that he was gone after this season. Now that he's lived up to and maybe even exceeded the hype, folks think maybe he's not ready. There are plenty of other examples. Also, folks really love to make wild assumptions about what would happen if players came back (and this season it's a bit out of control).

And some of y'all just really need to quit taking it personally when underclassmen want to leave. Seriously. Quit acting like you're more interested in their well being than their coaches, families and friends. Quit acting like you don't just want their services on your favorite football team for another year. Yes, several of them have self-interested people in their lives who will try to talk them into a bad decision, but do you really think another year of college football is going to fix that? Looking at it another way, there are just as many stories of guys like Lutzenkirchen and Matt Leinart who killed their draft position by coming back for their senior year.

If you want to invoke family, then I'm not sure why you'd be upset about these guys doing what they think is best for them and their families. If you want to invoke the education part of it, then maybe you should be equally concerned about all the guys who use up their eligibility but still don't graduate. You know, like Carnell Williams, who just completed his degree (because, ya know, they can always come back).

The trend that I've noticed is overrating players before they play and then underrating them after we see them play. Duke is a great example. Before the season started, it was almost a consensus on this forum that he was gone after this season. Now that he's lived up to and maybe even exceeded the hype, folks think maybe he's not ready. There are plenty of other examples. Also, folks really love to make wild assumptions about what would happen if players came back (and this season it's a bit out of control).

And some of y'all just really need to quit taking it personally when underclassmen want to leave. Seriously. Quit acting like you're more interested in their well being than their coaches, families and friends. Quit acting like you don't just want their services on your favorite football team for another year. Yes, several of them have self-interested people in their lives who will try to talk them into a bad decision, but do you really think another year of college football is going to fix that? Looking at it another way, there are just as many stories of guys like Lutzenkirchen and Matt Leinart who killed their draft position by coming back for their senior year.

If you want to invoke family, then I'm not sure why you'd be upset about these guys doing what they think is best for them and their families. If you want to invoke the education part of it, then maybe you should be equally concerned about all the guys who use up their eligibility but still don't graduate. You know, like Carnell Williams, who just completed his degree (because, ya know, they can always come back).

^^^^^^^^^

Ummm ok son, that's clever you went and found a pic and everything.....don't you have a dumb ten question post in which you passive aggressively blurt out misinformed opinions, to go think about?

I chuckled.

bongggggg...nailed it!

Archived