Why does Auburn recruit so poorly in Bham

japantiger

I don't really see them going after top Bham talent. They are non-existent @ Hoover, the largest program in the state that turns out about 8 - 10 D1 prospects a year....thoughts?

:au:

I don't really see them going after top Bham talent.  They are non-existent @ Hoover, the largest program in the state that turns out about 8 - 10 D1 prospects a year....thoughts?

132082[/snapback]

Where are the 8-10 D1 recruits? I went to school there, and I don't see it. There have been a few, but mostly they are just successful in the system they run.

They are dominant on the field, but believe me, there's nothing special about the genes in that area. Hoover just has about 3,000 students to select from. That's why they can field a winner. (4 state championships in 5 years!!!)

I don't really see them going after top Bham talent.  They are non-existent @ Hoover, the largest program in the state that turns out about 8 - 10 D1 prospects a year....thoughts?

132082[/snapback]

Where are the 8-10 D1 recruits? I went to school there, and I don't see it. There have been a few, but mostly they are just successful in the system they run.

They are dominant on the field, but believe me, there's nothing special about the genes in that area. Hoover just has about 3,000 students to select from. That's why they can field a winner. (4 state championships in 5 years!!!)

132108[/snapback]

That doesn't have a very nice tone to it. They are just kids, why are you knocking them? :poke:

AU has commits from the top 3 players out of the Birmingham area this year: Montez Billings (Pelham), Rex Sharpe (Fairfield), Andrew McCain (Briarwood). Do your homework before making accusations.

132082[/snapback]

132108[/snapback]

That doesn't have a very nice tone to it. They are just kids, why are you knocking them? :poke:

132110[/snapback]

:big:

touche!!!!

:big:

b'ham has always produced good recruits for auburn, but b'ham isn't the only place to recruit in the state of alabama. b'ham approx. to uat has influence. i have no stats but i would imagine bammer has less recruits from the auburn area such as montgomery and columbus, ga/phenix city area.

So far Auburn has harvested the only two Heisman Trophy winners from the Birmingham area. Overall, I'm sure uat leads in bham due to proximity, and the fact that they continued to play at Legion Field after we quit.

Guest Tigrinum Major

132082[/snapback]

Pike County, a 3A school that won the state championship last year, had more D1 prospects in 2003 than Hoover. The Birmingham area as a whole does not churn out as many D1 prospects as you would think. Most of the real talent is at smaller schools. I don't know the reason, but look at how many people from the metro area are on D1 rosters and you won't find many.

AU has commits from the top 3 players out of the Birmingham area this year: Montez Billings (Pelham), Rex Sharpe (Fairfield), Andrew McCain (Briarwood).  Do your homework before making accusations.

132116[/snapback]

I think he is talking as a whole. not one specific year.

Cool your jets dude.

I think schools in birmingham are good football "TEAMS". look at hoover...they dont produce monster talent...but they have a top 5 program nationally. Its because everyone works well within the system.

Why? Maybe because of a lack of "grey" colored shirts?

:big::big::big::moon:

Since TT has been coach; we have not consistently recruited the best talent out of B'ham. To Rainman's comment on Hoover; the fact that there are 3,000 students and 200 kids dressed out is precisely why you need to go there. Having played @ a small school; and then matching up against 6A talent later on; I agree that there is nothing in the "genes"; but the law of large numbers says if you want the best, you go where there are more good players. Also, to assume that there is better quality in small schools defies logic. More players, more talent.

I believe we currently have two or three kids on scholarships from Hoover HS. We are doing great in the B'ham area this yr. Three of the top recruits in the state are committed to AU. We keep winning and they will come.

I do recall Dansby was from Birmingham. It is nice to get in state kids but with the kids Florida and Georgia provide the in state guys get overlooked and end up at Bama, UAB, or Southern Miss.

Since TT has been coach; we have not consistently recruited the best talent out of B'ham. To Rainman's comment on Hoover; the fact that there are 3,000 students and 200 kids dressed out is precisely why you need to go there. Having played @ a small school; and then matching up against 6A talent later on; I agree that there is nothing in the "genes"; but the law of large numbers says if you want the best, you go where there are more good players. Also, to assume that there is better quality in small schools defies logic. More players, more talent.

I have to totally agree I played for Hueytown and at the time we were in 6A with half the students compared to the shools we were playing and it was hard matching up against the pure numbers. I would put money on it that Hoover wouldn't be as successful if they wouldn't have split Central Tuscaloosa up into 3 school systems North Ridge, Paul Byrant, and Central. County normally has good talent but Central and Lee of Montgomery were the big guys during my years 94-97.

I went to Lee of Montgomery during the Beasley, Connie Fredricks, Buddy McClinton era although they were in different classes. Lanier of Montgomery was also great with the Speigner Brothers, Sam Gillerstead, and others. Most of these guys went to AU and made the Sullivan Beasley era for Coach Jordan. Very dominant Montgomery HS FB during the late 50's thru 60's era.

1. Proximity to Tuscaloosa;

2. Pro Bammer press

3. Bammer's play in Bham longer than us, and;

4. Their long-time association with Legion field

I don't think AU recruits poorly in Birmingham. I think there are plenty of kids every year that fans think should be recruited and want to see those kids at their schools. But many of the HS stars are not in reality college talent.

Looking at Birmingham. For a number of reasons, the city schools are not producing the talent that they have in the past.

Looking at the results of AU recruiting under CTT, I would think that we should be happy. They haven't got every one they went after, but they have signed good kids and good football players and good students.

I can think of several players from the Birmingham area that played pretty good football at AU. Stan White, Karlos Dansby, Bo Jackson easily come to mind.

Archived