What's your DC short list?

WeagleTheBeagle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever coaches Darrell Williams at Hoover High School should be on the staff. Looking at his film, someone taught that kid to read, break down and wrap up correctly. Reminds me of Luke Kuechly's fundamentals. I don't care if Homer Simpson coaches the D as long as they play with strong fundamentals. Now, more then ever (with the rules changes re: contact around defense), fundamentally strong players will succeed.

Tyson Summers is a good young coach who's done phenomenal at UCF. People here may not like him though because he's a VanGorder disciple. Coached under him as a GA at Georgia and then as a linebackers coach under him at Georgia Southern.

RANDY SHANNON !

The guy went from a HC to a position coach and has received no DC interest since being let go by Miami, even with all these openings. There is something going on there, enough that it looks like he isn't a candidate at all.

RANDY SHANNON !

The guy went from a HC to a position coach and has received no DC interest since being let go by Miami, even with all these openings. There is something going on there, enough that it looks like he isn't a candidate at all.

But what?

Who is Kansas States DC? They were well coached and made good sure tackles when we played them. Plus, you know he has been well trained working for Bill Snyder.

I will take the UCF guy since im from Orlando. Like Jesse Palmer said last night their not highly rated but they're fundamently sound. Diaz got blasted by the big schools at La Tech,Texas,Miss St. He corraled Cam ,but we didnt know what to do with him till South Carolina that year.UCF won are barely lost, to big name teams unders Summers. If we bring back a former coach other than Muschamp it would be Rhoades if that how its spelled. Not his fault for Tony Franklin. Bo Pelini seems like a full of himself jerk. What is Jim Levitt doing, he did wonders with USF.

Currently Leavitt is the LBers coach with San Francisco.

I don't know if he would be my first choice, but I think he might be worth a phone call.

Quick hits:

-57 years old, born in Texas, still has family in Florida

-30 years as a college coach

-Hired to be HC at South Florida when they first started football, coached from '95-'09 (coached for two years before they actually fielded a team)

-Overall record of 95-57, 3-2 in bowl games (beat #17 Auburn at home in 2007)

-Developed aggressive, nasty defenses (that also racked up a lot of penalties)

-Teams fared very well against tricky offenses (WVU and Louisville), but always seemed to have trouble with ground-and-pound teams (Rutgers)

-Reportedly turned down HC offers from uat (twice), KSU, and Miami to stay with USF

-Fired after allegedly striking a player during an intense halftime coaching session, vehemently denied any wrongdoing

-Investigation revealed the player's story was blow out of proportion, however, it was discovered CJL had asked his coaches and players to cover for him

-ESPN reported it was his interference with the investigation that got him fired rather than the act itself

-Sued USF and received a sizable settlement

-After the case was resolved he took the job with the 49ers

WDE!

RANDY SHANNON !

I don't recall if he was ever directly implicated with any of the shenanigans at Miami, but they got sanctioned A LOT while he was there. The Shapiro thing happened while he was HC.

Not saying he shouldn't be considered, just that it's probably worth checking with the NCAA to see how they feel about him.

WDE!

What about hiring Nick Saban or Kirby Smart as our DC?

Nah - couldn't handle it even if they did come for what we are paying.

RANDY SHANNON !

When we were searching for Chizik's replacement I kept posting that we should hire Shannon. At that time I wondered why he hadn't been hired and assumed that his status must have been due to his buyout, if he had one. His original contract was for $4 million/yr and would assume that Miami bumped it so whatever buyout would have increased too. Miami is a private school so that info may be undisclosed. Haven't ever read anything about it. He sat out only one season and landed at TCU, another private school, so I assume that info is confidential too. His D was in the top 10 across the board. Don't know how it ranked before his arrival. He's wayyyyyy overqualified to be a just a LB/associate head coach and he has the best credentials for DC among any candidates that have been mentioned.

Just did a search and found that Miami is still paying him:

http://www.hogdb.com/2014/01/21/rumors-of-miami-obligations-to-shannon-through-january-2014-appear-true/

EXCERPT:

"December 2010 is the month after Shannon was fired from Miami, and April 2012 was the month Shannon sued Miami. The point here is that there were 38 months of payments, i.e. 3 years and two month of payments, due under the contract beginning in December 2010. The three years would end on November 30, 2013 and the two months takes the contract to January 31, 2014.

Shannon’s lawsuit with the University of Miami was settled around June 11, 2012 and formally dismissed on June 27, 2012.

...Nothing in the lawsuit addresses whether there is a prohibition on Shannon taking a coordinator position and thereby forfeiting his payments under this contract. It was widely reported in February 2011 that Randy Shannon turned down an offer from the University of Maryland and that he would lose $1.5 million in buyout payments from Miami if he did, but plainly it did not prevent him from taking linebacker coaching positions at TCU and Arkansas.

With what seems like foot-dragging at a critical time for the University of Arkansas may in fact be the indication that Randy Shannon will be hired in the capacity of Defensive Coordinator on February 1, 2014 as rumored."

And, possibly headed to UT as DC (11/18/14): http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/randy_shannon_to_tennessee/9188878

Hope we can change his mind should Muschamp not work out. I prefer RS to WM anyway.

RANDY SHANNON !

I don't recall if he was ever directly implicated with any of the shenanigans at Miami, but they got sanctioned A LOT while he was there. The Shapiro thing happened while he was HC.

Not saying he shouldn't be considered, just that it's probably worth checking with the NCAA to see how they feel about him.

WDE!

He was never implicated. In fact he was the one person in that place that did things the right way. He has been guilty by association ever since it seems, simply because he was there. I would love to see him come here.

Guest jojo1515

I will take the UCF guy since im from Orlando. Like Jesse Palmer said last night their not highly rated but they're fundamently sound. Diaz got blasted by the big schools at La Tech,Texas,Miss St. He corraled Cam ,but we didnt know what to do with him till South Carolina that year.UCF won are barely lost, to big name teams unders Summers. If we bring back a former coach other than Muschamp it would be Rhoades if that how its spelled. Not his fault for Tony Franklin. Bo Pelini seems like a full of himself jerk. What is Jim Levitt doing, he did wonders with USF.

Currently Leavitt is the LBers coach with San Francisco.

I don't know if he would be my first choice, but I think he might be worth a phone call.

Quick hits:

-57 years old, born in Texas, still has family in Florida

-30 years as a college coach

-Hired to be HC at South Florida when they first started football, coached from '95-'09 (coached for two years before they actually fielded a team)

-Overall record of 95-57, 3-2 in bowl games (beat #17 Auburn at home in 2007)

-Developed aggressive, nasty defenses (that also racked up a lot of penalties)

-Teams fared very well against tricky offenses (WVU and Louisville), but always seemed to have trouble with ground-and-pound teams (Rutgers)

-Reportedly turned down HC offers from uat (twice), KSU, and Miami to stay with USF

-Fired after allegedly striking a player during an intense halftime coaching session, vehemently denied any wrongdoing

-Investigation revealed the player's story was blow out of proportion, however, it was discovered CJL had asked his coaches and players to cover for him

-ESPN reported it was his interference with the investigation that got him fired rather than the act itself

-Sued USF and received a sizable settlement

-After the case was resolved he took the job with the 49ers

WDE!

This reminds me of the Chris Farley part of the 1st Wayne's World movie.. Odd that a security guard knows that much about Mr. Big!

Shannon or Clark

For those wanting the Wisconsin DC (Aranda I think is the spelling), OSU has put 31 on them in first half so far.

Really couldn't speculate on specific names after CWM...all that have been mentioned so far have their pros & cons.

But things I would like to see:

1. A traditional Auburn defense that opponents fear because they know they're in for a physical beating. Regardless of the final score, they know they're going to be hurting Sunday morning. Physical intimidation, in my opinion, is a much bigger part of defense than offense.

2. A defense that can rise to the occasion and make the big stops. I can't say I enjoy a "bend-but-don't-break" defense and am really tired of still worrying about the final results into the 3rd-4th quarter, but I do love a defense that can counted on to make the big stop when the game's on the line. (unlike, for example, FSU's final drive in last year's BSCCG.)

3. Stability at DC. These kids deserve to have the same coach for more than 1-2 years.

RANDY SHANNON !

That's what I was gonna' say!

Yep....actually my preferred choice...think he might stay around longer than CWM who, if he does come to AU, will probably be looking around for another HC opportunity pretty quickly...or at least his agent will be looking on his behalf.

I just hate for AU to be an "interim" job for someone with stars in his eyes.

Archived