Obama considering sanctions against Israel

cooltigger21

Serious questions to all those who are venting against the principle of sanctions against an ally. (And I say principle because no one has addressed the substance of the issue.)

1. Is it even possible for a democratic ally to deliberately and calculatingly act in ways that are directly counter to our interests?

2. If so, what recourse do we have if they simply ignore our objections other than sanctions?

3. Does it make a difference if said ally receives an enormous amount of aid from us? Should we continue to "reward" them for acting against our interests?

4. Or is it you are simply proposing that we should support Israel regardless of their actions, right or wrong?

All of your questions are leading to making your point and leave a lot gray area for interpretation. Who determines what "our interests" are? I only ask because I haven't seen an Obama foreign policy YET that i felt was truly in America's best interest. To counter your leading questions, is it possible that a sitting president would believe his political and ideological interests were also America's best interests when clearly they were not? if so, do you continue to support that president's actions right or wrong?

Well that's a good start to a real discussion (instead of irrational venting).

Do you know exactly what it is that Israel has done that prompted the idea of sanctions?

But to answer your question, certainly it is possible for a president to act in a way that is against our interests. Just look at the Iraqi invasion (for example).

Serious questions to all those who are venting against the principle of sanctions against an ally. (And I say principle because no one has addressed the substance of the issue.)

1. Is it even possible for a democratic ally to deliberately and calculatingly act in ways that are directly counter to our interests?

2. If so, what recourse do we have if they simply ignore our objections other than sanctions?

3. Does it make a difference if said ally receives an enormous amount of aid from us? Should we continue to "reward" them for acting against our interests?

4. Or is it you are simply proposing that we should support Israel regardless of their actions, right or wrong?

What does any of that have to do with the FACT that barry is a treasonous Muslim who wants to destroy America?

Do you ever debate using arguments that aren't blatant straw men?

Straw man? Several of the posts on this thread have actually said that in slightly different words.

Archived