Muschamp's Defensive Staff

AEAugirl

It is hard to have a decent pass rush without having at least one good pass rush DE. I was thinking about this last night. Those of you blasting away at RG should also consider this in your thought process.

The '14 Saga of the 10 AU DEs.

1. Dee Ford- Was healthy the last 12 games and we had a very effective pass rush. It also opened things up for the DTs. We were set for '14 but he declared for the draft. Scratch him off the list

But Rodney is looking ahead to '14 and '15. He recruits 3 good Fr , 2 of them need to add weight, 1 of them at least looks the part. To fill in the gap in '14, RG also adds a good JUCO player. When we get to '15 those RFr will be ready and until then we should be ok in '14 with Lawson, Owens and the new JUCO Lambert. Good 'cruitin on RG's part.

2. Carl Lawson- So we are all set because Carl will take over from where Dee left off. But he gets injured in the off season and is lost for the year. Scratch him off the list.

3. LaDarius Owens- We have Owens who looked pretty good last year opposite Ford so we should still be ok, no problem. But wait he is injured too and along with it any of his effectiveness for most of the year. Scratch him off the list.

4. DaVonte Lambert- At least we have the JUCO who looks the part. He will have to learn the system and get up to speed on D1 SEC play. RG has him playing better every week and by the 3rd quarter of the year he is getting the hang of it and looking pretty good. This doesn't come soon enough because they have been doubling Adams like heck on the inside. Wait, now he is injured and lost for the last 2 games. Scratch him off the list.

What about those 3 Freshmen that RG was going to redshirt ? Heck throw them in there right ?

5. Justin Thornton- Hold off, we can't use him. He is injured and can't play. Besides he is still undersized anyway. Scratch him off the list.

6. Raashad Kennion- So we throw him in there and you can see he has potential. But sure enough, his lack of size stops him dead in his tracks against even an average OT that can get in front of him. RG was right when he took him, he needs a year to get ready.

7. Andrew Williams- Here is a guy that looked the part as a TFr but didn't make it to the field but apparently he too needed a redshirt year. So far he is a mystery.

8., 9. and 10. That left us with President, Harrell and Daniel (who looks better as a DT) to man the fort and none of them fit the bill as your 1 good pass rush DE.

We had a lot of perfect storm type things happen with our DEs in '14 which RG had nothing to do with. As I said at the beginning, you need at least 1 good and healthy DE to have any chance at a decent pass rush. If you don't have 1, you are at a stalemate with the OTs (or even a RB) which allows the interior to double team your good inside rusher. That meant the defensive play caller was going to beed need to get creative with blitzing to create any pass rush.

great post Ironman

well said. Actually Harrell has been injured since he got here as well. He was out for the year this year

Dee Ford was a SR. he played 4 years with no redshirt. No option to return another year.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've come to this thread, idiotically thinking there might be some useful information in regards to Auburn football and coaching hires. I'm done. This is pathetic. I have no idea why the moderators on this site have allowed this pissing contest to go on for so long and its not just this thread. I assume if a new hire is made, it'll get's own thread? Til one pops up I'll lurk elsewhere.

That's it. Let it all out.

It is hard to have a decent pass rush without having at least one good pass rush DE. I was thinking about this last night. Those of you blasting away at RG should also consider this in your thought process.

1. Dee Ford- Was healthy the last 12 games and we had a very effective pass rush. It also opened things up for the DTs. We were set for '14 but he declared for the draft. Scratch him off the list

But Rodney is looking ahead to '14 and '15. He recruits 3 good Fr , 2 of them need to add weight, 1 of them at least looks the part. To fill in the gap in '14, RG also adds a good JUCO player. When we get to '15 those RFr will be ready and until then we should be ok in '14 with Lawson, Owens and the new JUCO Lambert. Good 'cruitin on RG's part.

2. Carl Lawson- So we are all set because Carl will take over from where Dee left off. But he gets injured in the off season and is lost for the year. Scratch him off the list.

3. LaDarius Owens- We have Owens who looked pretty good last year opposite Ford so we should still be ok, no problem. But wait he is injured too and along with it any of his effectiveness for most of the year. Scratch him off the list.

4. DaVonte Lambert- At least we have the JUCO who looks the part. He will have to learn the system and get up to speed on D1 SEC play. RG has him playing better every week and by the 3rd quarter of the year he is getting the hang of it and looking pretty good. This doesn't come soon enough because they have been doubling Adams like heck on the inside. Wait, now he is injured and lost for the last 2 games. Scratch him off the list.

What about those 3 Freshmen that RG was going to redshirt ? Heck throw them in there right ?

5. Justin Thornton- Hold off, we can't use him. He is injured and can't play. Besides he is still undersized anyway. Scratch him off the list.

6. Raashad Kennion- So we throw him in there and you can see he has potential. But sure enough, his lack of size stops him dead in his tracks against even an average OT that can get in front of him. RG was right when he took him, he needs a year to get ready.

7. Andrew Williams- Here is a guy that looked the part as a TFr but didn't make it to the field but apparently he too needed a redshirt year. So far he is a mystery.

8., 9. and 10. That left us with President, Harrell and Daniel (who looks better as a DT) to man the fort and none of them fit the bill as your 1 good pass rush DE.

We had a lot of perfect storm type things happen with our DEs in '14 which RG had nothing to do with. As I said at the beginning, you need at least 1 good and healthy DE to have any chance at a decent pass rush. If you don't have 1, you are at a stalemate with the OTs (or even a RB) which allows the interior to double team your good inside rusher. That meant the defensive play caller was going to beed need to get creative with blitzing to create any pass rush.

great post Ironman

well said. Actually Harrell has been injured since he got here as well. He was out for the year this year

Dee Ford was a SR. he played 4 years with no redshirt. No option to return another year.

He actually took a medical redshirt, but was a SR.

http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ford_dee00.html

great post Ironman

He actually took a medical redshirt, but was a SR.

http://m.auburntiger...ford_dee00.html

thx. i didnt realize that. however he did use all eligibility.

Heck, we're both wrong, lol. Dee took a redshirt for the 2011 season when he hurt his back after 3 games. But yes, he was a redshirt Senior last year, not a redshirt Junior. I did the whole list from memory and I was thinking he had taken 2 redshirts, a regular redshirt and a medical redshirt because of the back issue.

edit: LOL, I see TexasTiger beat me to it. Thanks for the heads up guys, I edited my op for that line item.

Florida fans seem to think Lawing is gone. Prediction percentage of him coming to Auburn must be north of 90% , right?

Dee Ford made Dee Ford not Ej or Garner. The guy came in weighing 210 pounds and played some linebacker. He spent the next four years transforming himself into a DE putting on 40 pounds of muscle and losing no speed. He was injured nearly every year except last year but had the talent all along it was a matter of staying healthy, after he built himself to be a DE.

Without Dee Ford, the dline and defense would of been terrible. ( not that they good anyways)

So no credit when guys get better but all the blame if they don't produce. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

D-line performance was not as bad as some seem to be saying. In the Wisconsin Game they got good penetration and the Linebackers should have had a field day but they were often out of position or couldn't shed a block. Pass rush issue was legit but watching bowl games this year I saw a lot of teams that did not have elite DE's get a pass rush with CB Blitz's, Linebackers chucking a receiver and then doing a delayed blitz unimpeded as the Back and O-line was already committed to the O-Line.

When Auburn did blitz they showed early so O-Line and RB knew they were coming. A blitz is always a calculated risk but to be effective it can't be obvious. The DC sets the scheme and utilizes his personnel in a way that highlights their strengths and masks their weaknesses. Everybody always talks about how Gus adjusts his offense to his players be it a DT QB or a passing QB. The DC has to adjust his D to his players CEJ never did that and never made adjustments that put his D players in a position to win. D is about a meshing of three units D-Line, Linebackers, DB's if the mesh isn't there everybody looks bad. A lot of the D-Line issues were due to lack of mesh with other units.

Whether Garner stays as D-Line coach are not is up to Coach Boom but for so many to say Garner is a bad coach in the face of how many players he has coached who went to the NFL and also achieved awards while in college is inexplicable to me. NFL teams draft on Talent that has shown out in college all the Players that Garner recruited and coached who went to the NFL must have done something right in college to get drafted.

This is basically what Q Riggins said the last two games about the linebackers. Your post is spot on with his opinion. I believe Q has forgotten more football, especially on the defensive side of the ball, than I know. But others know more than he does, I guess.

Florida fans seem to think Lawing is gone. Prediction percentage of him coming to Auburn must be north of 90% , right?

He is gone. Their staff is complete and it did not include Lawing.

So, we are expecting him to coach at Auburn?

So, we are expecting him to coach at Auburn?

it's possible but there really hasn't been any word on exactly what Gus and Will intend to do to fill the staff out.

The guy came in weighing 210 pounds and played some linebacker

He played DE all throughout HS.

he played Lb at Auburn ( to) that's were he took his first snaps

I'm curious as to the holdup on last hire ... Any crazy crazy chance that an Oregon or osu coach is possible?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say no

D-line performance was not as bad as some seem to be saying. In the Wisconsin Game they got good penetration and the Linebackers should have had a field day but they were often out of position or couldn't shed a block. Pass rush issue was legit but watching bowl games this year I saw a lot of teams that did not have elite DE's get a pass rush with CB Blitz's, Linebackers chucking a receiver and then doing a delayed blitz unimpeded as the Back and O-line was already committed to the O-Line.

When Auburn did blitz they showed early so O-Line and RB knew they were coming. A blitz is always a calculated risk but to be effective it can't be obvious. The DC sets the scheme and utilizes his personnel in a way that highlights their strengths and masks their weaknesses. Everybody always talks about how Gus adjusts his offense to his players be it a DT QB or a passing QB. The DC has to adjust his D to his players CEJ never did that and never made adjustments that put his D players in a position to win. D is about a meshing of three units D-Line, Linebackers, DB's if the mesh isn't there everybody looks bad. A lot of the D-Line issues were due to lack of mesh with other units.

Whether Garner stays as D-Line coach are not is up to Coach Boom but for so many to say Garner is a bad coach in the face of how many players he has coached who went to the NFL and also achieved awards while in college is inexplicable to me. NFL teams draft on Talent that has shown out in college all the Players that Garner recruited and coached who went to the NFL must have done something right in college to get drafted.

Dead on

Though I doubt we could get a coach from Oregon or Ohio State, it would be so awesome if coach Malzahn could pull off a huge surprise by horing a LB coach from one of those teams.

We can now cross Durkin off the list of possible coaching hires. ESPN is reporting that he has been hired by Michigan as the DC. If I could copy a link, I would, but unfortunately I am technologically impaired.

We can now cross Durkin off the list of possible coaching hires. ESPN is reporting that he has been hired by Michigan as the DC. If I could copy a link, I would, but unfortunately I am technologically impaired.

Somebody put that up last night and then afterward there was another round of the arguing and pissing contest that's been going on for the past couple of days.

I'm curious as to the holdup on last hire ... Any crazy crazy chance that an Oregon or osu coach is possible?

They don't have to hire another coach. One more would put Auburn at the maximum number of on field coaches but they have every position on defense covered right now if WM wants to coach linebackers.

I have never seen a coaching staff smaller than the maximum allowed. That would be a complete waste, especially in recruiting where only on-field coaches are allowed to make certain contact. We will hire another coach.

Though I doubt we could get a coach from Oregon or Ohio State, it would be so awesome if coach Malzahn could pull off a huge surprise by horing a LB coach from one of those teams.

I'm pretty sure Malzahn wouldnt stoop to the level of prostitution just to get a LB coach from Oregon or Ohio ST.

Archived