Muschamp's Defensive Staff

AEAugirl

I have seen Takeo Spikes name mentioned here ant there. Is this a possibility?

I'm not sure he has given up on playing yet. I know he was still open to playing this past season (was hoping like hell the Falcons would take a look).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen Takeo Spikes name mentioned here ant there. Is this a possibility?

i would suggest it is not even a remote possibility.

I would hope after the way our linebackers have played during the last 6 seasons that Takeo would not be considered. This isn't the time for on the job training.

I'd love to have him on staff as a GTA but not a position coach. Not yet....

maybe i am dumb, and i have never been a college coach, but i cannot imagine that takeo could not coach college linebackers after 12 plus years in the league. he would not have to scheme, just teach technique, discipline and how to be the biggest bad ass on the block. what am i missing here?

and no chance in hell any college player back talks takeo. :)

maybe i am dumb, and i have never been a college coach, but i cannot imagine that takeo could not coach college linebackers after 12 plus years in the league. he would not have to scheme, just teach technique, discipline and how to be the biggest bad ass on the block. what am i missing here?

and no chance in hell any college player back talks takeo. :)/>

Being good at a sport doesn't mean you can coach it. To be an effective coach you have to communicate and motivate in ways that not just anyone can do. I've seen all conference players crash and burn as coaches and people who've never even played a particular sport succeed almost immediately.

Takeo entered the nfl draft early. I assume he didn't finish his degree. I don't think we have ever hired a fb coach without a bachelor degree. That and he has never coached on any level. You don't just start out like that. There is a progression to go through to be an on field cfb coach. He has a long way to go EVEN IF HE WANTS to coach. Travis Williams is 100times more qualified and already there.

Just because someone is good at something doesn't mean they can teach it. Teaching/Coaching is a skill set completely separate from performing that skill.

Just because someone is good at something doesn't mean they can teach it. Teaching/Coaching is a skill set completely separate from performing that skill.

This.

wde

I just hope we name a linebacker coach before signing day.

Muschamp can handle the LBs just fine (should he choose to coach a position) and T-Rob can handle the DBs just fine. We need help on the DL.

wde

and no chance in hell any college player back talks takeo. :)/>

Being good at a sport doesn't mean you can coach it. To be an effective coach you have to communicate and motivate in ways that not just anyone can do. I've seen all conference players crash and burn as coaches and people who've never even played a particular sport succeed almost immediately.

Was going to emphasize what Chimes said by noting that coaching is really teaching; but Ed beat me to it.

That said, just because someone hasn't taught before doesn't mean they can't learn (even on the job). I could imagine that Boom might want to get someone big as LB coach whom he could teach how to coach LBs in his style. That someone would have to be someone who'd also help greatly with recruiting. I could imagine Takeo would make quite an impression on recruits.

Not saying it's going to happen. Just that we can't assume it won't for certain just because Takeo lacks experience at coaching. It would be different if there were no one else (like Boom) who could coach the LBs, I think. Same logic applie to T-Will, IMO.

Auburn is not a training ground for coaches who have never done it before. I love Takeo and he probably would be a good coach but that is too big of a risk to take right now. If the defense fails then Gus has his own head in the noose. It's just a chance he can't afford to take. WM has his own reputation to consider as well. If he fails to turn the defense around then his own future job prospects just took a major hit.

Auburn is not a training ground for coaches who have never done it before. I love Takeo and he probably would be a good coach but that is too big of a risk to take right now. If the defense fails then Gus has his own head in the noose. It's just a chance he can't afford to take. WM has his own reputation to consider as well. If he fails to turn the defense around then his own future job prospects just took a major hit.

All of this. This is also why I have been in huge support of WM hiring who he wants to coach the DL (and all other D positions) in spite of the RG orange and blue glasses love on AU message boards.

wde

.....and on the other side of the coin we have this.

Yes, we can't have a great ex- AU linebacker with 15 years in the NFL, a guy that inspires people, a guy who has no neck, who would rather knock you on your azz than look at you, who can probably coach by telling players to do it like this, but a guy who has never coached before even though he has expressed some interest.

I mean we need professionals with those years of coaching experience leading our LBs, just like we've had the last 6 years. After all, we know coaching experience is the key over everything else. That's why we've recruited LBs so well and developed so many to go to the NFL the last few years. B)

Yes, we can't have a great ex- AU linebacker with 15 years in the NFL, a guy that inspires people, a guy who has no neck, who would rather knock you on your azz than look at you, who can probably coach by telling players to do it like this, but a guy who has never coached before even though he has expressed some interest.

I mean we need professionals with those years of coaching experience leading our LBs, just like we've had the last 6 years. After all, we know coaching experience is the key over everything else. That's why we've recruited LBs so well and developed so many to go to the NFL the last few years. B)

Coaching is a lot more than inspiring and putting the fear of God into somebody. Coaching is a trade, a trade that takes time to learn. It's 80 hour weeks and long trips on the road for recruiting. It took time for Takeo to learn how to be the football player he became. The tendency is for great players to not make good coaches. It does happen on occasion but not often. Most often your great coaches, in any sport, were average, at best, players. WM will find the coaches he want, ones that have proven they can do what is required.

Are we seriously still talking about Spikes as s coach? It won't happen, end of discussion.

The fact that some of you even assume he wants to do it is hilarious. If he actually did, he'd be making headways in coaching, not sitting on his ass. Coaching at the collegiate level is absolutely brutal in terms of hours worked. These guys barely even see their families. What makes you think that a guy who's already made a living wants to dive into that commitment, instead of say enjoying his hard-earned retirement?

Coaching is a lot more than inspiring and putting the fear of God into somebody. Coaching is a trade, a trade that takes time to learn. It's 80 hour weeks and long trips on the road for recruiting. It took time for Takeo to learn how to be the football player he became. The tendency is for great players to not make good coaches. It does happen on occasion but not often. Most often your great coaches, in any sport, were average, at best, players. WM will find the coaches he want, ones that have proven they can do what is required.

Yes, I know what coaching entails. But I'm not pushing Takeo, you've missed the point. You, Metafour and a couple others are no more right in pushing the idea that coaching experience is the most important qualifier, than the guy that brought Takeo up just now. Experience is only one factor and no more of a predictor than several other factors.

Are we seriously still talking about Spikes as s coach? It won't happen, end of discussion.

The fact that some of you even assume he wants to do it is hilarious. If he actually did, he'd be making headways in coaching, not sitting on his ass. Coaching at the collegiate level is absolutely brutal in terms of hours worked. These guys barely even see their families. What makes you think that a guy who's already made a living wants to dive into that commitment, instead of say enjoying his hard-earned retirement?

No we aren't actually. I think you missed the point too...see above

No you aren't what?

He's not coming here. Nor is he qualified. So what exactly is the discussion about?

No you aren't what?

He's not coming here. Nor is he qualified. So what exactly is the discussion about?

That was the answer to the first question in your post to which I responded. No, I didn't say he is qualified, not qualified, coming here or not coming here. I was making a much larger point. See my post above to cooltigger21.

I will add this to simplify it. Experience alone (or lack of) does not qualify (or disqualify) a person.

Archived