Muschamp's Defensive Staff

AEAugirl

http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/1531

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Gators assistant coach Travaris Robinson will be in charge of the secondary on Saturday at Missouri with first place in the SEC East on the line.

The Florida secondary is arguably the nation’s most talented and deepest. Much of that credit goes to Robinson, who recruited players such as defensive backs Marcus Roberson, Vernon Hargreaves III and Jabari Gorman since joining Will Muschamp’s inaugural staff in 2011.

Robinson’s talent as a recruiter is not going unnoticed. In ESPN.com’s 2014 recruiter power rankings, Robinson is not only ranked the No. 1 recruiter in the SEC, but No. 1 in the country according to a panel of ESPN recruiting analysts.

Robinson’s impact on the Gators over the last three years has been substantial -- as a recruiter and talent evaluator, which goes hand-in-hand in Muschamp’s recruiting philosophy devoid of an emphasis on the star system created by recruiting sites.

As a former defensive back at Auburn and in the NFL, Robinson works closely with Muschamp in evaluating prospects, deciding which players to recruit and then once they get to UF, coaching and developing those players. Robinson is also UF’s primary recruiter in talent-rich South Florida, where he grew up.

“Being from Miami, I know a lot of people down there,’’ Robinson said recently. “I’m fortunate enough that when I go down there recruiting, some of the high school coaches, either they coached me or played against me, and they remember me from that.

“At the end of the day, we want people who want to be at Florida. There are a lot of guys down there that have the ability to do it, but they grew up [Miami] fans, so you don’t get a chance to recruit those guys. Then you’ve got guys who grew up Florida State fans, and then you have guys who grew up Gator fans. It’s just going out there and working for that.”

The 32-year-old Robinson, the youngest member of Muschamp’s coaching staff, entered coaching as a graduate assistant at Auburn when Muschamp was there as defensive coordinator. The two quickly hit it off and Muschamp brought Robinson to Florida.

“He's a really, really good football coach,” Muschamp said. “He does a great job with our secondary as far as teaching and coaching the way we want it to be done at Florida. He understands what we want done and how we want it done. It’s not about putting the next guy in. It’s about putting the next best player in.”

As a recruiter, Robinson’s energy and ability to relate to young players has made an impression.

“He helped me grow as a person before he taught me anything on the field,” Roberson told The Gainesville Sun last month. “He's more like a father figure than anything. He told me I had an opportunity to play and everything turned out that way. He's straightforward. He tells you exactly what it is instead of beating around the bush.”

Gators defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin is considered a strong recruiter, too. Durkin landed offensive lineman D.J. Humphries and defensive lineman Jonathan Bullard from his ties in North Carolina.

Still, Durkin can appreciate the unique ability of Robinson on the recruiting trail.

“He's an unbelievable recruiter, as you all can see. The guy works relentlessly at it,’’ Durkin said. “I've been around a lot of good coaches, luckily, in my career, and I don't know one better than him at what he does. There's no doubt he’s a star.”

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T-Rob Secondary

T-Wil LB

RG DL

Mush=champ involved in all

Just my uninformed opinion, 10% chance

I would not be surprised if you are correct. However; it seems to me that if Muschamp was going to promote T-Williams it would have already been announced.

wde

Holding.....back........laughter...must.......resist.......

I'm sure you'll resist. You'd rather see Durkin or any coach or player not come to Auburn than see WE6 be right.

I'm sure you'll resist. You'd rather see Durkin or any coach or player not come to Auburn than see WE6 be right.

At least we're still in it for Randy Shannon and Ron Zooks.

SMH. never saw someone so happy that a really good coach isn't coming to Auburn. Does it really make that much difference if a guy has sources or if he does that they're wrong?

SMH. never saw someone so happy that a really good coach isn't coming to Auburn. Does it really make that much difference if a guy has sources or if he does that they're wrong?

What makes you think we were even after Durkin?

The problem wasn't that he was fabricating these "sources" and y'all couldn't shovel it in fast enough, it was how pompous he acted after a hire was made. Carry him through the streets on your back if you want, but in the end the joke is more on you than him.

Ifs cool tigger, not worried at all about a STALKER riding my every word. Durkin had a tough choice to make. Come to AU under will muschamp as a position coach or go be a dcoordinator at Michigan under another former boss in harbaugh. Nothing to be upset about, especially about a man who made the best choice for HIMSELF

The problem wasn't that he was fabricating these "sources" and y'all couldn't shovel it in fast enough, it was how pompous he acted after a hire was made. Carry him through the streets on your back if you want, but in the end the joke is more on you than him.

TitanTiger, I know we've had discussions about my temper, but I'm really trying my BEST to keep my membership. But this little boy is really testing my patience!!

TitanTiger, I know we've had discussions about my temper, but I'm really trying my BEST to keep my membership. But this little boy is really testing my patience!!

I'll let it go. Don't want to derail another thread with our high jinks...

I still think we need another DL coach. Garner could coach TE. He's coached the TE's before.

We don't need a TE coach do we? For one, we have one. For another we never use the tight end so assigning a coach to one is silly in reality.

we can still hire one more coach so unless WM doesn't want to work with a specific position, then he will have help. It is possible that WM doesn't want to be involved with a specific position. I just don't look for it to happen.

Muschamp is expected to be the LB coach. I would expect a second DL coach to be hired if that is the case.

Durkin had a tough choice to make. Come to AU under will muschamp as a position coach or go be a dcoordinator at Michigan under another former boss in harbaugh.

How is that a tough choice? He's obviously going to take the DC job, hence why any idea of him coming here as a LB coach was absurd. He was never coming here.

Well Durkin is headed to UM http://espn.go.com/c...da-dj-durkin-dc

don't yet, Zook is still in play...

That said, Tigerchris might suggest Rex Ryan and put him into play as well :roflol:/>

I approve this.

I've come to this thread, idiotically thinking there might be some useful information in regards to Auburn football and coaching hires. I'm done. This is pathetic. I have no idea why the moderators on this site have allowed this pissing contest to go on for so long and its not just this thread. I assume if a new hire is made, it'll get's own thread? Til one pops up I'll lurk elsewhere.

It is hard to have a decent pass rush without having at least one good pass rush DE. I was thinking about this last night. Those of you blasting away at RG should also consider this in your thought process.

The '14 Saga of the 10 AU DEs.

1. Dee Ford- Was healthy the last 12 games and we had a very effective pass rush. It also opened things up for the DTs. We were set for '14 but he declared for the draft. Scratch him off the list

But Rodney is looking ahead to '14 and '15. He recruits 3 good Fr , 2 of them need to add weight, 1 of them at least looks the part. To fill in the gap in '14, RG also adds a good JUCO player. When we get to '15 those RFr will be ready and until then we should be ok in '14 with Lawson, Owens and the new JUCO Lambert. Good 'cruitin on RG's part.

2. Carl Lawson- So we are all set because Carl will take over from where Dee left off. But he gets injured in the off season and is lost for the year. Scratch him off the list.

3. LaDarius Owens- We have Owens who looked pretty good last year opposite Ford so we should still be ok, no problem. But wait he is injured too and along with it any of his effectiveness for most of the year. Scratch him off the list.

4. DaVonte Lambert- At least we have the JUCO who looks the part. He will have to learn the system and get up to speed on D1 SEC play. RG has him playing better every week and by the 3rd quarter of the year he is getting the hang of it and looking pretty good. This doesn't come soon enough because they have been doubling Adams like heck on the inside. Wait, now he is injured and lost for the last 2 games. Scratch him off the list.

What about those 3 Freshmen that RG was going to redshirt ? Heck throw them in there right ?

5. Justin Thornton- Hold off, we can't use him. He is injured and can't play. Besides he is still undersized anyway. Scratch him off the list.

6. Raashad Kennion- So we throw him in there and you can see he has potential. But sure enough, his lack of size stops him dead in his tracks against even an average OT that can get in front of him. RG was right when he took him, he needs a year to get ready.

7. Andrew Williams- Here is a guy that looked the part as a TFr but didn't make it to the field but apparently he too needed a redshirt year. So far he is a mystery.

8., 9. and 10. That left us with President, Harrell and Daniel (who looks better as a DT) to man the fort and none of them fit the bill as your 1 good pass rush DE.

We had a lot of perfect storm type things happen with our DEs in '14 which RG had nothing to do with. As I said at the beginning, you need at least 1 good and healthy DE to have any chance at a decent pass rush. If you don't have 1, you are at a stalemate with the OTs (or even a RB) which allows the interior to double team your good inside rusher. That meant the defensive play caller was going to beed need to get creative with blitzing to create any pass rush.

great post Ironman

well said. Actually Harrell has been injured since he got here as well. He was out for the year this year

Does anyone know of any real candidates that Auburn is pursuing? I will be very disappointed if Fountain stays on the staff and we merely add Phillip Lolley to the defensive staff...

I love Muschamp and T-Rob, but I would love to see another big time hire (or two) to put this defense over the top!

I've come to this thread, idiotically thinking there might be some useful information in regards to Auburn football and coaching hires. I'm done. This is pathetic. I have no idea why the moderators on this site have allowed this pissing contest to go on for so long and its not just this thread. I assume if a new hire is made, it'll get's own thread? Til one pops up I'll lurk elsewhere.

Yes. Whenever a hire is made, it'll likely have its own thread--like the T Rob hire.

Have fun lurking other sites.

Archived