Why not Kirby Smart ?

eagle76

There is an old axiom about not being the guy who follows the "legend" and there is probably no way that Saban's successor will have the same success as a recruiter or on the field. The next guy will be hired to be fired....the buffer between dynasties.

Also, bammers are convinced that their school is the best coaching job in the nation.... and would never accept a coordinator from Bama or anywhere else as their next HC. Gruden will be at the top of their list and right now there is probably not a single college coach at any level that would meet with the approval of the typical bammer.

The succession game at bama....when it takes place...is going to be a real treat to watch.

You want an example of a game where a coach on the other sideline out-gameplanned Saban only to see Alabama adjust mid-game and win?

Here's one: Auburn v. Alabama 2014.

We came into that game with a fantastic gameplan on both sides of the ball. Their team was clearly rattled heading into halftime, and they contemplated benching a QB that just led them to a 12-1 record and an SEC title. Then, Saban pumped the brakes, opened up the offense (going for it on a make-or-break 4th and 2), adjusted his defense enough to get a few stops in a game where we looked unstoppable, and viola! They landed one of the best wins in the program since 2007. That was PHENOMENAL in-game coaching. It really was. He didn't win that game by out-talenting us. They had the same players in the first quarter as they did in the fourth. They won it by remaining calm, taking some calculated risks, and tweaking the offensive and defensive playcalling.

I'm sorry. It's just ridiculous to pretend like he's just a recruiter. Was he just out-talenting everyone in East Lansing? Did he just have the best players at Alabama in 2008? Give me a break. As they say in the NBA, game recognizes game. He respects the hell out of Gus and vice versa. You don't have a like him to tip your cap.

No he wasn't out talenting everyone and he also wasn't winning much either. He had ONE season (his last) where they finished 9-2. He left Michigan State 34-24-1. Without a 9 win season he's sitting at .500. Which translates to most as AVERAGE. He's an AVERAGE coach that can recruit. He's an AVERAGE game day coach and he'll always be an AVERAGE game day coach. You can cherry pick his game against Auburn this year all you want, but the fact is, Auburn lost the game because we couldn't score touchdowns in the redzone. Their defense was good all year in the redzone. It had nothing to do with saban making adjustments.

As far as Kirby smart goes, he's a defensive coordinator by title only. I don't believe one bit of the defensive success is anything Smart has brought to the table.

You want an example of a game where a coach on the other sideline out-gameplanned Saban only to see Alabama adjust mid-game and win?

We came into that game with a fantastic gameplan on both sides of the ball. Their team was clearly rattled heading into halftime, and they contemplated benching a QB that just led them to a 12-1 record and an SEC title. Then, Saban pumped the brakes, opened up the offense (going for it on a make-or-break 4th and 2), adjusted his defense enough to get a few stops in a game where we looked unstoppable, and viola! They landed one of the best wins in the program since 2007. That was PHENOMENAL in-game coaching. It really was. He didn't win that game by out-talenting us. They had the same players in the first quarter as they did in the fourth. They won it by remaining calm, taking some calculated risks, and tweaking the offensive and defensive playcalling.

I'm sorry. It's just ridiculous to pretend like he's just a recruiter. Was he just out-talenting everyone in East Lansing? Did he just have the best players at Alabama in 2008? Give me a break. As they say in the NBA, game recognizes game. He respects the hell out of Gus and vice versa. You don't have a like him to tip your cap.

No he wasn't out talenting everyone and he also wasn't winning much either. He had ONE season (his last) where they finished 9-2. He left Michigan State 34-24-1. Without a 9 win season he's sitting at .500. Which translates to most as AVERAGE. He's an AVERAGE coach that can recruit. He's an AVERAGE game day coach and he'll always be an AVERAGE game day coach. You can cherry pick his game against Auburn this year all you want, but the fact is, Auburn lost the game because we couldn't score touchdowns in the redzone. Their defense was good all year in the redzone. It had nothing to do with saban making adjustments.

As far as Kirby smart goes, he's a defensive coordinator by title only. I don't believe one bit of the defensive success is anything Smart has brought to the table.

QFT

Since ur so enamored with saban, how many titles did he win in east lansing? He didn't start winning until he came to a talent laden field, LSU, bama. How did he do in Miami? See how that works, everybody has talent in the nfl. Lol. Oh yeah, about those coaches u said came from the Saban tree. U do realize they were good position coach's well before they came to work for Saban. Sorry, I'm not buying. And before u proclaim Saban god of all, don't forget he himself came from the Brian Billick coaching tree!

You guys think Saban can't coach?!? That's absurd. I'm sorry. That's just ridiculous.

As for the Saban coaching tree, it would include Jimbo Fisher (who just won a national title), Mark Dantonio (who won the Big Ten last year), Jim McElwain (who just replaced another Saban assistant as the head coach at UF), and Pat Shurmur (OC for the Eagles right now). That's not even including Muschamp and Dooley, who both landed SEC head coaching jobs. Geez. If that's a bad coaching tree, there are very few good ones.

Even though Fisher coached under Saban, I don't consider him a Saban disciple. He's more of a Bowden guy than a Saban guy. He was at Samford wwith Terry Bowden and then came with Terry Bowden to Auburn. Then after a few years at other places he goes to Florida State to be the OC and head coach in waiting under Bobby Bowden.

Fisher was the OC at Cincinnati in 1999 then Saban hired him at LSU in 2000. He was still at LSU when Saban left and didn't follow him to Miami. He was the OC at LSU for the first two years under Les Miles in 2005 and 2006. Then he tried to get the UAB head coaching job in 2007 but after that fell through he ended up being the OC at Florida State.

You guys think Saban can't coach?!? That's absurd. I'm sorry. That's just ridiculous.

As for the Saban coaching tree, it would include Jimbo Fisher (who just won a national title), Mark Dantonio (who won the Big Ten last year), Jim McElwain (who just replaced another Saban assistant as the head coach at UF), and Pat Shurmur (OC for the Eagles right now). That's not even including Muschamp and Dooley, who both landed SEC head coaching jobs. Geez. If that's a bad coaching tree, there are very few good ones.

Even though Fisher coached under Saban, I don't consider him a Saban disciple. He's more of a Bowden guy than a Saban guy. He was at Samford wwith Terry Bowden and then came with Terry Bowden to Auburn. Then after a few years at other places he goes to Florida State to be the OC and head coach in waiting under Bobby Bowden.

Fisher was the OC at Cincinnati in 1999 then Saban hired him at LSU in 2000. He was still at LSU when Saban left and didn't follow him to Miami. He was the OC at LSU for the first two years under Les Miles in 2005 and 2006. Then he tried to get the UAB head coaching job in 2007 but after that fell through he ended up being the OC at Florida State.

Most of these guys have floated around to a number of schools....takes a pretty big ego for any one HC to lay claim to having "developed" Fisher, Muschamp or the other dozen or so of the younger crop of HCs.

Keesler, this is not an attack against you but almost every fan in the country. The UAT dynasty is built on one single play. Can anyone guess what it is? Colt MCcoy being injured in the 2009 Championship Game. He doesn't go down and Texas wins by two TD's. This right here would've ended what was about to happen.

It would've ended the rogue boosters, obvious rule-breaking by coaches, and the paying players. It would've ended hearing those mouth breathing rednecks brag about how they were untouchable. After that 2009 Championship, no one was going to bring them down. Slive and Emmert would see to it that Saban would never be touched. The Saban "dynasty" is built on a myth. It's about the name. Why do you think the playoff committee put Ohio State in the 4th spot? To protect they're precious baby. Whenever Alabama loses what's the first thing you hear? "Can a how many ever loss Alabama make it." People need to stop kissing Saban's feet because of his championships. It has turned into a monster and the driver of that monster is ESPN.

The reasons I just wrote really has made me question if I will continue to watch CFB. That penalty on that DE in the SECCG showed exactly what's going to happen if you try to fight back against Alabama. You won't win.

In 2011 Saban got beat on his own field and undeservedly got a rematch while sitting at home and not playing a conference championship game. Yes, we all know UAT was the best team in the nation, but that team lost at home and got a REMATCH. It pissed the nation off so much that the playoff was formed.

In 2012 Alabama once again backs their way into second place and plays probably the worst team to ever make a BCS game in Notre Dame.

In 2014 I can truly say it may be his best coaching job. They deserve to be number one right now.

The rest of the SEC is closing the talent gap and it is going to be shown soon when Saban starts dropping games he used to win. Everybody is saying, "Alabama is down this year." They're not! The rest of the league is getting better. They're as good as they've always been. When the league catches up he's going to go to greener pastures.

For every media analyst that gets on their knees for Saban they should really look at how he got there. I would have to say, there's not a luckier coach in the sport.

They were never and are never going to be brought down. This has been going on for close to 100 years now and they've gotten hit one time. With Emmert there, Saban is free to do as he pleases period.

Has anyone thought about that maybe KS doesn't want to be a HC period? I mean that isn't what every coordinator in the college ranks aspires to. He's got a good thing going. He makes gobs of money at a program that wins all the time, deals with a lot less stress than a HC, and gets to be more hands on than a HC would be. I don't blame him for staying around West Vance forever.

Y'all are right. He's a terrible coach. I don't know how I didn't see it until now.

You can't see how terrible of a coach he is because you aren't looking at all of his losses ~ In 8 season's the guy has lost 16 freakin games, he lost 6 (SIX) his first year. When a coach loses 11 SEC games in 8 years (4 in his first year) in the toughest conference in the country then he deserves to be labeled a terrible college coach.

:chair:

Yeah, Auburn hasn't had back-to-back 9-win seasons since 1993/1994. Bama has four consecutive 11-win (or more) seasons, but that's clearly attributable to recruiting and only recruiting. I've had the wool pulled back from my eyes, and now I see that no coaching goes into that streak. None. Bobby Bowden was an average coach too. Clearly. They just out-recruited everyone. Jimbo Fisher's 29 consecutive wins... 99% recruiting I'm sure.

That's what happens when u have more talent than everybody! Like Steve spurrier said, with all the 5stars he gets he should win it every year, and he only have 3 sec championships to show for it. Greatest Recruiter Ever? maybe.coach? Not

i'm a college football fan. i respect those who are great at what they do. Nick Saban i would say is no doubt an average game day coach but there is no coach in football that comes close to being able to build a team ready to compete. His philosophy, or process that he uses works. IIRC that first Bammer team he took to the SEC championship game was filled with Shula players. An average coach isnt gonna do that type of turnaround unless he's pretty dam good.

I could've sworn this said "civil discussion." It looks a heck of a lot more like a conspiracy theory on NS coaching prowess, or as some of you seem to think, lack thereof. You people are saying some of the weirdest stuff.

You're saying that no man, no matter how good, can go on a run like that, unless he's cheating?

Uhmm, what if Gus takes us to back-to-back NC's? Would he be cheating too?

NS is an average coach.

HA.. HA... freaking, HA! Are you crazy? An AVG coach, takes 3 teams to the NC in a 4 year span? An AVG coach, pulls in the top recruiting class, year in and year out, what.. because he's cheating? Where is your proof that the man has cheated in any way? What has he done that's against the rules, that you can prove to me, right here, right now? I'll tell you... NOTHING. You know how I know? Because if you could, as much a homer you obviously are, you'd be knocking the doors off of the NCAA building to show them. You haven't.. so you have no proof. In this country, it's innocent until proven guilty, and like my grandmother always said, "If you ain't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Until such a time as they get caught, or are proved to have cheated, take your losses like a man. Stop whining and blaming others for your own faults like a child. Man up, deal with whatever insecurities you obviously have on your own time. Stop throwing around accusations like some little 17 yr old girl at prom that got passed up for queen. Grown men acting like this for the world to see, my gosh. No wonder no one likes AUB fans. You guys make us look like we're trying to sabotage every other team, especially ALA. It's sad that you guys would act like this, and honestly, I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed for you, and I'm ashamed for our team that has you as a fan. No one deserves to have this kind of toxic ideology following them.

The man puts NFL caliber teams together in a college league. He's done more at the school than most any other coach could hope to do in a lifetime. I only HOPE that we can get a coach that does those same things here for my beloved AUBURN TIGERS! So, grow up, pull up your britches, and stop crying about how mad you are that the little demon beat us.

I could've sworn this said "civil discussion." It looks a heck of a lot more like a conspiracy theory on NS coaching prowess, or as some of you seem to think, lack thereof. You people are saying some of the weirdest stuff.

You're saying that no man, no matter how good, can go on a run like that, unless he's cheating?

NS is an average coach.

HA.. HA... freaking, HA! Are you crazy? An AVG coach, takes 3 teams to the NC in a 4 year span? An AVG coach, pulls in the top recruiting class, year in and year out, what.. because he's cheating? Where is your proof that the man has cheated in any way? What has he done that's against the rules, that you can prove to me, right here, right now? I'll tell you... NOTHING. You know how I know? Because if you could, as much a homer you obviously are, you'd be knocking the doors off of the NCAA building to show them. You haven't.. so you have no proof. In this country, it's innocent until proven guilty, and like my grandmother always said, "If you ain't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Until such a time as they get caught, or are proved to have cheated, take your losses like a man. Stop whining and blaming others for your own faults like a child. Man up, deal with whatever insecurities you obviously have on your own time. Stop throwing around accusations like some little 17 yr old girl at prom that got passed up for queen. Grown men acting like this for the world to see, my gosh. No wonder no one likes AUB fans. You guys make us look like we're trying to sabotage every other team, especially ALA. It's sad that you guys would act like this, and honestly, I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed for you, and I'm ashamed for our team that has you as a fan. No one deserves to have this kind of toxic ideology following them.

The man puts NFL caliber teams together in a college league. He's done more at the school than most any other coach could hope to do in a lifetime. I only HOPE that we can get a coach that does those same things here for my beloved AUBURN TIGERS! So, grow up, pull up your britches, and stop crying about how mad you are that the little demon beat us.

^^^This

Yeah, Auburn hasn't had back-to-back 9-win seasons since 1993/1994. Bama has four consecutive 11-win (or more) seasons, but that's clearly attributable to recruiting and only recruiting. I've had the wool pulled back from my eyes, and now I see that no coaching goes into that streak. None. Bobby Bowden was an average coach too. Clearly. They just out-recruited everyone. Jimbo Fisher's 29 consecutive wins... 99% recruiting I'm sure.

We actually had four straight 9+ win season from 2004-2007. We haven't had back-to-back 10-win seasons since 1988/1989. It's also the only time we've ever had back-to-back 10-win seasons.

NS is an average coach.

He has been proven guilty..... Fishing trips, T-Town's menswear, and Fluker. Just never punished.

The sad part is we shouldn't be having this conversation. The program should have been shut down after Logan Young/ Albert Means. When someone explains how a team can be built that fast after coming off of major probation please tell me.

No one said the man can't win. We just said he's an average game day coach, and let me just say the more top recruits that a team can assemble, the more draft picks that team has. It's really not a coincidence.

I'm sorry I don't hold up to your moral standard of an Auburn fan. I know Auburn appreciates having me and my family from all the donations, but I'm sorry you don't like me.

Why don't you stop drinking the ESPN kool-aid and do a little research. Saban wins because he has a system based on having more depth and more talent. This thread was originally about Kirby Smart and I said before, Kirby will not take a job that he knows he cannot replicate this.

His system of stocking up talent and depth works perfect for the college game. Every HC better be working 24/7 to replicate this system because you never know when you are gonna have a talented/experienced upperclassman is gonna have a brain fart and decide to smoke weed while driving around - steal something - beat up a girlfriend - act a fool to his coach in a practice - drive drunk - fight in a bar - get kicked off the team - skip class - - -

NS is an average coach.

He has been proven guilty..... Fishing trips, T-Town's menswear, and Fluker. Just never punished.

The sad part is we shouldn't be having this conversation. The program should have been shut down after Logan Young/ Albert Means. When someone explains how a team can be built that fast after coming off of major probation please tell me.

No one said the man can't win. We just said he's an average game day coach, and let me just say the more top recruits that a team can assemble, the more draft picks that team has. It's really not a coincidence.

I'm sorry I don't hold up to your moral standard of an Auburn fan. I know Auburn appreciates having me and my family from all the donations, but I'm sorry you don't like me.

Why don't you stop drinking the ESPN kool-aid and do a little research. Saban wins because he has a system based on having more depth and more talent. This thread was originally about Kirby Smart and I said before, Kirby will not take a job that he knows he cannot replicate this.

Well he can't be the DC there forever. Unless the successor to Saban, and it won't be him, decides to retain him, then he's going to have to do something else.

Archived