Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn?

AURex

Dallas is the only job Gus would ever leave Auburn for. I've heard him mention on more than one occasion that if he had a dream job, the Cowboys would be it. Timing would have to be right, but down the road, Jerry might steal him away.

Why would anyone want to coach a team owned by Jerry Jones? Jerry Jones is rapidly becoming the next Al Davis. He micromanages the Cow turds just like Davis did in Oakland. Gus has it made at Auburn and knows what he has. He will most likely get a salary increase after the bowl game that will get him near the 5 million $$$ mark. He was given carte blanc with hiring CWM as the highest paid assistant coach in all of college football. I feel 99.9% sure that we will see a new and improved contract for Gus. Nothing has been said about this, but you can take it to the bank that it will happen. I know we had an 8-4 season, but we all know the best is yet to come from Gus.

I think Jerry has backed off of some of that. He doesn't call down and tell Garrett to run certain plays or play certain players. I have been as critical as anyone but he has done a respectable job the last few years with the draft. He resisted the impulse to draft Johnny Football and got a key offensive lineman in the draft last year. They just won the division and can go deep in the playoffs.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

On Chip, the best possible QB in the NFL to fit his system will not be resigning his contract this year. Cam Newton is not happy at Carolina and has said that he will not even look at a contract extension until the season is over. If those two team up, all bets are off. That could be the key to long term success for both of those guys and I expect it will at least be discussed.

Carolina can and will franchise him if they don't agree to a new contract.. I think they can do that twice maybe three time.

That may be the death of the program as he currently make 5.5 mil a year. A franchise tag requires top 5 pay I believe making it a 20 mil a year deal. I don't see a 14 mil a year raise just to keep him. I may be wrong on the numbers though...

In about 10-12 years CGM will get bored with winning NCs every single year at AU and will bolt to the NFL to develop the new expansion OKC Tornadoes into a dynasty that will remind people of the 1980s 49ers.

I have anonymous inside sources, but no link.

On Chip, the best possible QB in the NFL to fit his system will not be resigning his contract this year. Cam Newton is not happy at Carolina and has said that he will not even look at a contract extension until the season is over. If those two team up, all bets are off. That could be the key to long term success for both of those guys and I expect it will at least be discussed.

Carolina can and will franchise him if they don't agree to a new contract.. I think they can do that twice maybe three time.

That may be the death of the program as he currently make 5.5 mil a year. A franchise tag requires top 5 pay I believe making it a 20 mil a year deal. I don't see a 14 mil a year raise just to keep him. I may be wrong on the numbers though...

well if you aren't going to keep him they better have someone lined up to take his place. Without a quarterback you are dead. A top quarterback can take a mediocre team a long way. They just need a general manager who understands talent and the salary cap. That is about to go up significantly starting in a year or two. I think that is the main motive for not signing an extension. Panthers exercised their option for next year so he won't be eligible for free agency until then. I figure they will work out a deal during the offseason.

I could easily see Malzahn wanting to coach at the Pro level. Malzahn seems driven by the game and an opportunity to translate his abilities at the next level would have to be very appealing. For now, I imagine we will have the good fortune of keeping Malzahn a little longer but one day in the future..... who knows? I do know we have an amazing understudy learning from the best in football (Lashlee) so that brings me comfort.

I would be more concerned with him moving to another college.

Yeah...no.

Some of you folks worry too damn much

Exactly. It's like with kids. Can't keep anything nice in the house. Like the end of last season and everyone feared losing Malzahn to another college team, this year's twist is that everyone wants to play fantasy football with Malzahn.

I could easily see Malzahn wanting to coach at the Pro level. Malzahn seems driven by the game and an opportunity to translate his abilities at the next level would have to be very appealing. For now, I imagine we will have the good fortune of keeping Malzahn a little longer but one day in the future..... who knows? I do know we have an amazing understudy learning from the best in football (Lashlee) so that brings me comfort.

There was a video interview of Malzahn in one thread stating that he didn't have an interest in the NFL.

Malzahn may see it as his "obligation" to break every barrier perceived to limit high school coaches if the opportunity presents itself.

That said, it's painfully apparent that any offense in the NFL that requires the QB to be exposed to more than the standard hits in the pocket will be limited by the durability of said QB. The all time biggest and strongest (six-six, two-fifty) is proving to be less than superman. Gus would have to modify, which he is entirely capable of. Can't see the old Chris Todd version of the HUNH being very effective in the league.

If Dallas opens up, that's the only job I see him leaving to since he likes them I guess.

Its a huge transition though as a coach, and for a guy who's been teaching "kids" who don't really tune you out, vs adult men who aren't as easy to keep interested through the hard times (Bears, 49ers, Redskins), that's hard

Malzahn may see it as his "obligation" to break every barrier perceived to limit high school coaches if the opportunity presents itself.

That said, it's painfully apparent that any offense in the NFL that requires the QB to be exposed to more than the standard hits in the pocket will be limited by the durability of said QB. The all time biggest and strongest (six-six, two-fifty) is proving to be less than superman. Gus would have to modify, which he is entirely capable of. Can't see the old Chris Todd version of the HUNH being very effective in the league.

Yeah its hard to find any version of the Gus offense having much success... you go to the zone read/tri option look, that will be shut down because of the speed of the average linebacker/DLineman as well as the force of the hit. I could only see his Arkansas/Tulsa offenses working if he had a lot more success than the opposing teams, and that type of team gets consistently hit with the cap limit so you never really keep that talent.

Seattle, Carolina, Philadelphia and San Francisco have all had success with the zone read. Philadelphia, New England, Denver and Buffalo all incorporate the HUNH. Those aspects of Gus's offense are not a hindrance, especially since the zone read isn't even a staple of his offensive philosophy. I'm not sure if the way he constructs his passing routes will translate, but otherwise Gus can run his offense in the NFL.

He might've said the Cowboys were his favorite team, but I guarantee you that's not the only NFL job he'd leave for (if he's open to leaving at all, which I absolutely think he is).

And if anybody thinks that it's easier to manage 100 18-22 year old kids (who spend all their time around other 18-22 year old kids) with limited practice time than it is to manage 53-man roster full of professionals- who were not only talented enough, but also competitive enough to make it to the NFL to begin with, and who are just as motivated to earn their next paycheck as any college kid is to earn their first one- with unlimited practice and meeting time...

...yeah, that's one of the less sensible things I've read in awhile.

In about 10-12 years CGM will get bored with winning NCs every single year at AU and will bolt to the NFL to develop the new expansion OKC Tornadoes into a dynasty that will remind people of the 1980s 49ers.

This is hilarious but if it happened I might just have to move back to OKC. Lol

This whole thread is a HUGE laugh....... :jossun:

Seattle, Carolina, Philadelphia and San Francisco have all had success with the zone read. Philadelphia, New England, Denver and Buffalo all incorporate the HUNH. Those aspects of Gus's offense are not a hindrance, especially since the zone read isn't even a staple of his offensive philosophy. I'm not sure if the way he constructs his passing routes will translate, but otherwise Gus can run his offense in the NFL.

He might've said the Cowboys were his favorite team, but I guarantee you that's not the only NFL job he'd leave for (if he's open to leaving at all, which I absolutely think he is).

And if anybody thinks that it's easier to manage 100 18-22 year old kids (who spend all their time around other 18-22 year old kids) with limited practice time than it is to manage 53-man roster full of professionals- who were not only talented enough, but also competitive enough to make it to the NFL to begin with, and who are just as motivated to earn their next paycheck as any college kid is to earn their first one- with unlimited practice and meeting time...

Seattle's offense has finally gotten out of the gutter, Philadelphia RARELY runs the zone read and hasn't in God knows how long, Carolina's offense isn't much of anything and is about as consistent as Alabama weather, and San Francisco is bad, so almost all your examples are worthless there. Denver doesn't do the HUNH much anymore since they realized that throwing all the time doesn't win them games the same and have developed a running game. NE uses a hurry up and then sit there, huddle, wait, then go. Not the same by any means as Gus's offense.

Your second post is purely opinionated so it's not even worth arguing, but I will say that he's turned down several teams that could be contenders with his offense, and likely will this off season.

And its not a thought, its proven that it is harder to manage grown men over adolescents. This doesn't just stay to football either, its life. Especially grown men on contracts that have a guaranteed clause in it that will be paid regardless.

Ditto. I can confirm this.

I already bought my Oklahoma Tornadoes t-shirt. Sources say LA is already trying to get the franchise to relocate to the LA Coliseum.

One thing to take into consideration about Gus possibly leaving is he hasn't been a head coach but three years. I don't see CGM jumping to the NFL, but as they say money talks and BS walks.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Can AU keep Gus Malzahn? Yes. The next head coach to leave AU for greener pastures will be the first.

(This has been another edition of easy answers to easy questions.)

Archived