Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn?

AURex

"Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn" is a question that's beyond silly. Coaches don't leave Auburn for another coaching job. The last one to do so was John Heisman, I think in 1904 or thereabouts. That's 110 years since any head football coach left AU for another job. Coaches leave Auburn because they are fired or retire.

When Gus leaves Auburn it will be because he got fired or decided to retire.

Gus doesn't remind me of any of those coaches in any way. Going back 4 coaches, 3 decades and at least a couple ADs- far more than what is in any way relevant to our current situation- the only way that any of our previous coaches have resembled Gus is that they had southern accents and won early. The way they went about doing their jobs was completely different. Tuberville was the opposite style of coach from Gus in every way. Tater Tot and Chizik both owed their success to others. The fact that Pat Dye probably resembles Malzahn more closely than any should tell us something.

Gus Malzahn guided a 3-9 team through the toughest division in college football history to within 13 seconds of defeating one of the most dominant teams of the modern era for a national championship less than 10 years after being a high school football coach. He accomplished this with a creative, up-tempo offense, a converted DB at quarterback and a mediocre defense.

All due respect, it's kinda crazy to suggest that Gus is going to maintain any trend when it comes to Auburn football coaches.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn" is a question that's beyond silly. Coaches don't leave Auburn for another coaching job. The last one to do so was John Heisman, I think in 1904 or thereabouts. That's 110 years since any head football coach left AU for another job. Coaches leave Auburn because they are fired or retire.

Gus doesn't remind me of any of those coaches in any way. Going back 4 coaches, 3 decades and at least a couple ADs- far more than what is in any way relevant to our current situation- the only way that any of our previous coaches have resembled Gus is that they had southern accents and won early. The way they went about doing their jobs was completely different. Tuberville was the opposite style of coach from Gus in every way. Tater Tot and Chizik both owed their success to others. The fact that Pat Dye probably resembles Malzahn more closely than any should tell us something.

Gus Malzahn guided a 3-9 team through the toughest division in college football history to within 13 seconds of defeating one of the most dominant teams of the modern era for a national championship less than 10 years after being a high school football coach. He accomplished this with a creative, up-tempo offense, a converted DB at quarterback and a mediocre defense.

All due respect, it's kinda crazy to suggest that Gus is going to maintain any trend when it comes to Auburn football coaches.

I think next year is going to be really interesting to watch with the new QB. The offense should be better than ever.

I think next year is going to be really interesting to watch with the new QB. The offense should be better than ever.

Offense better? Maybe but this was supposed to be the year with all the seniors leading the team.

As for our various coaches, I've learned that it's dangerous to fall in love with a coach based on early results 'cause eventually they will under-perform in the eyes of many fans. Gus took at 3-9 team to the championship game and then took a team that was picked by many, many people to be in the playoff ...but which lost 3 of it's last four games.. and now is barely hanging on to a top 20 ranking.

So far Gus has gotten credit for the wins and other people have gotten the blame for the losses....but as HC it all falls on him and as people have commented a thousand times over the years (Tubs and Chiz most recently) a string of 8 or 9 win seasons will not be acceptable at AU.

Offense better? Maybe but this was supposed to be the year with all the seniors leading the team.

As for our various coaches, I've learned that it's dangerous to fall in love with a coach based on early results 'cause eventually they will under-perform in the eyes of many fans. Gus took at 3-9 team to the championship game and then took a team that was picked by many, many people to be in the playoff ...but which lost 3 of it's last four games.. and now is barely hanging on to a top 20 ranking.

So far Gus has gotten credit for the wins and other people have gotten the blame for the losses....but as HC it all falls on him and as people have commented a thousand times over the years (Tubs and Chiz most recently) a string of 8 or 9 win seasons will not be acceptable at AU.

I am not as knowledgeable as many posters on this site, I was just thinking our ground game shouldn't decline all that much (although Marshall will be a huge loss obviously). But our passing game - particularly the short and intermediate game - should be greatly improved. The interesting part will be to see how Gus leverages our strengths to compliment each other.

Otherwise, I agree with you. Gus has yet to demonstrate the consistency we all think - or hope - he is capable of . It is too early to proclaim him as one of the very elite of his profession.

Good points. I completely agree about being cautious with our optimism. Any scenario that involves Gus going to the NFL assumes continued or even improved success. "He won't go because he's satisfied here", "He won't go because Auburn coaches don't leave Auburn for other jobs", "He won't go because his offense won't work", "He won't go because college kids are more manageable than professionals", etc.... I'm not buying any of those reasons.

Who was the last coach to retire from AU? Shug I guess and many people felt that "it was time".

It could be that future coaches will look at our record of "loyalty" and decide to move on while their light is brightest. It's way too early IMO to be worrying about Gus but the idea that nobody leaves AU voluntarily has no basis in fact.

I'm just saying that no coach will ever retire from Auburn because the typical AU fan has no tolerance for a couple of off seasons like they did in the old days...and sooner or later every coach has a couple of 5 or 6 win seasons.

Quite the contrary, the idea that no head football coach since Heisman has left Auburn for another coaching job has 100% basis in fact. If you know of one since Heisman that left for another coaching job, please post his name.

those other people(Ellis Johnson) that have gotten the blame for the loses have been replaced. I might be over confident in Gus' ability to assemble an offense that consistently produces yards and points enough to play for championships every year. Until he fails to do that I will just be over confident. It's Gus' fault that he hired Ellis. It's a little bit of bad luck that Lawson was hurt and we didn't has an edge rusher in the pipeline to make our defense more serviceable. So Gus is not infallible. I also don't fault him for being successful too early.

The only possible reason he would voluntarily leave is if he decided he wants a crack at the NFL. I'm not concerned at all about another college job and only very slightly concerned about the NFL.

Who was the last coach to retire from AU? Shug I guess and many people felt that "it was time".

It could be that future coaches will look at our record of "loyalty" and decide to move on while their light is brightest. It's way too early IMO to be worrying about Gus but the idea that nobody leaves AU voluntarily has no basis in fact.

I'm just saying that no coach will ever retire from Auburn because the typical AU fan has no tolerance for a couple of off seasons like they did in the old days...and sooner or later every coach has a couple of 5 or 6 win seasons.

Quite the contrary, the idea that no head football coach since Heisman has left Auburn for another coaching job has 100% basis in fact. If you know of one since Heisman that left for another coaching job, please post his name.

Auburn has had 20 + / - head coaches since Heisman left...who knows what happened to most of them after they left AU but one did end up leaving AU and coaching in the SEC... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Donahue

My point is that we love 'em when they win a lot of games ...and fire them when they don't win enough....that's just life in Div 1.

Gus putting a powerful offense on the field is a given. But as I posted before the first game this year, the overall success of the team would be determined by an improvement in the defense from '13 to '14. Gus just needs an above average defense (better than that would be nice) to go with his offense to have consistency at Auburn. He obviously recognizes that and just took some big steps to accomplish it.

Auburn has had 20 + / - head coaches since Heisman left...who knows what happened to most of them after they left AU but one did end up leaving AU and coaching in the SEC... http://en.wikipedia....ki/Mike_Donahue

My point is that we love 'em when they win a lot of games ...and fire them when they don't win enough....that's just life in Div 1.

Mike Donahue went to LSU as the athletic director. According to David Housel, Donahue, a Catholic, feared for his and his family's safety at Auburn due to the strong presence of the KKK in east Alabama. He left to be the AD at LSU where his religion was accepted as normal.

The point is, at the risk of being repetitive, no coach since Heisman has left AU for a better coaching job. Gus isn't likely to leave here for that reason either.

I saw that Forbes Magazine wrote an article about College Football programs worth. Auburn came in at #6. I was actually pleasantly surprised about this. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, (and I think it was Texas, if I remember right), then Auburn, in that order. Auburn came in as a net worth of $97 million for their football program. He definitely wouldn't leave to go to another college program that's for sure. He knows he is safe for life as the HC of Auburn if he continues to recruit well, and compete in the SEC. This wasn't the best year as an Auburn Tiger. But considering what guys we lost, and the schedule we had, it's not that bad of a season. He fixed these problems by hiring Muschamp. It doesn't get much better than that. Gus is in it for the long haul, whether the NFL comes calling or not. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, it's not about money with Gus.

I don't think this would happen but ND and LSU likely won't have head coaches in a few seasons.

LSU and ND would be a lateral move at best and probably a step down. This thread needs to die a violent death ASAP!

LSU is in a PRIME location, do you know how many stars they've wasted their full potential that went on to cook it in the NFL? If Malzahn had that talent to work with, he'd be Saban-like (LSU HCs also don't have to get compared to Saban every year). It's not a far better job, but I'd take it over Auburn as long as Saban is there.

100% agree. If Gus had access to Les Miles' rosters he would lose maybe 1 game every 2 years. Miles has consistently been a QB away from being a multiple national championship coach, IMO.

Plus in Miles' tenure, outside of Meyer's years and certain spots for us, Auburn/Florida have been wins for him and those usually spot him in consistently good marks SEC wise. LSU usually always has a more favorable schedule than Auburn, LSU is either hiring terrible QB coaches or Les is putting his hand in their development, because LSU hasn't had a good QB since Russell-Flynn

....LSU usually always has a more favorable schedule than Auburn...

Nonsense. Both are in the SEC west. AU has UGA for a permanent east opponent, LSU has Florida. It's a wash.

Nonsense. Both are in the SEC west. AU has UGA for a permanent east opponent, LSU has Florida. It's a wash.

Florida hasn't been better than UGA since 2010

Even that 2012 team took a L to UGA because they're one of the only teams that didn't let UF form a ridiculous comeback

Florida hasn't been better than UGA since 2010

Even that 2012 team took a L to UGA because they're one of the only teams that didn't let UF form a ridiculous comeback

Florida has won four of the last seven games against Georgia. As I said, it's a wash.

Uga = UF in terms of what you will face on a year in/out basis.

Gus seems pretty focused on turning AU into a Playoff Contender each year. I believe he is coaching at what he considers the top level, and conference, of his profession; SEC/HC.

Maybe one day, if it was the right team, and the right time, he may make the jump. But I don't believe we need to worry about it any time soon.

Gus seems pretty focused on turning AU into a Playoff Contender each year. I believe he is coaching at what he considers the top level, and conference, of his profession; SEC/HC.

Maybe one day, if it was the right team, and the right time, he may make the jump. But I don't believe we need to worry about it any time soon.

Well, after all the discussion it seems that nobody hires AU coaches away from us.... and only one coach in the history of the school has retired at the end of his career....so logic says that it is Gus's destiny to be fired from AU one day in the future in spite of all the enthusiasm about him now. Heck of a life that big time college coaches lead isn't it?

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a good offensive display on Thursday against Wisconsin and hoping the defense plays well enough to allow us to outscore the Badgers.....and I expect Gus to be back next season.

Well, after all the discussion it seems that nobody hires AU coaches away from us.... and only one coach in the history of the school has retired at the end of his career....so logic says that it is Gus's destiny to be fired from AU one day in the future in spite of all the enthusiasm about him now. Heck of a life that big time college coaches lead isn't it?

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a good offensive display on Thursday against Wisconsin and hoping the defense plays well enough to allow us to outscore the Badgers.....and I expect Gus to be back next season.

It's the nature of the business. Coaches that stay in one place for 20 years are a very rare exception. By far the more normal thing is to get fired or burn out.

As long as we play anyone with even a semi-competent offense, Auburn guarantees an exciting game. ;D

Archived