Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn?

AURex

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He may someday decide to test the NFL waters. I don't look for it but it's not something you can rule out entirely. I do think it will be a while (several years) before he would consider that.

Nope. Do not see Gus leaving any time soon.

First question, Why would he desire to leave? Gus is building what he wants at AU, including staff.

Second Question. What gives anyone the impression that Gus is not totally content where he is now? If there is one thing you have to notice about Gus is that he is not ego driven. Gus is nothing like Sabear. He does not require personal accolades and outside validation. Gus is very comfortable in his own skin. He is a perfectionist and a tireless worker driven to success, but unlike some coaches, Gus sets his own goals and his own measure of success. Everyone wants to be loved and appreciated, but accolades and outside awards is not what motivates Gus Malzahn. It is not part of who he is.

Third question -- Is being a head coach in the NFL greater than being a successful NCAA coach in the top division of the NCAA? -- Sure, there is more money and national attention, but once you reach the place where you make more than a substantial mode of living, is it really that important? If it were would Steve Spurrier still be at South Carolina? See question 2.

Fourth question -- Coaching college players is closer to coaching HS players. Pro coaches are more managers than life coaches. If there is one thing that separates Gus from other NCAA coaches even (with the exception of very few), it is that he likes not only coaching on the field, but making a positive impact on the lives of those he coaches. Goes back to who he is.

I am not saying that one day Gus may not actually go to the Pro coaching ranks, if for no other reasons simply as a means of finishing out his career. But he has too many things going his way right now and where he is and what he is doing fits so well with who he is. No way I see him even entertaining the idea of making the leap, other than as a momentary "what if" type dream scenario. In other words, I am not worried in the least.

Nope. Do not see Gus leaving any time soon.

First question, Why would he desire to leave? Gus is building what he wants at AU, including staff.

Second Question. What gives anyone the impression that Gus is not totally content where he is now? If there is one thing you have to notice about Gus is that he is not ego driven. Gus is nothing like Sabear. He does not require personal accolades and outside validation. Gus is very comfortable in his own skin. He is a perfectionist and a tireless worker driven to success, but unlike some coaches, Gus sets his own goals and his own measure of success. Everyone wants to be loved and appreciated, but accolades and outside awards is not what motivates Gus Malzahn. It is not part of who he is.

Third question -- Is being a head coach in the NFL greater than being a successful NCAA coach in the top division of the NCAA? -- Sure, there is more money and national attention, but once you reach the place where you make more than a substantial mode of living, is it really that important? If it were would Steve Spurrier still be at South Carolina? See question 2.

Fourth question -- Coaching college players is closer to coaching HS players. Pro coaches are more managers than life coaches. If there is one thing that separates Gus from other NCAA coaches even (with the exception of very few), it is that he likes not only coaching on the field, but making a positive impact on the lives of those he coaches. Goes back to who he is.

I am not saying that one day Gus may not actually go to the Pro coaching ranks, if for no other reasons simply as a means of finishing out his career. But he has too many things going his way right now and where he is and what he is doing fits so well with who he is. No way I see him even entertaining the idea of making the leap, other than as a momentary "what if" type dream scenario. In other words, I am not worried in the least.

You nailed it in that one sentence. I think Gus is smart enough to know that about himself too. Yes, he is the type of coach that enjoys being able to mold young players into men and lead them by example. As you say, it's part of who he is and something he would miss terribly. Knowing that and the way coaching salaries have increased, there is no reason for him to leave. He has one of the best coaching jobs in America, college or NFL. The Auburn job fits him like a glove.

I don't think he leaves. If he did it would have to be the right fit for his offense. He'll keep getting a raise year after year from Auburn. We have the money to pay him. Especially with him bringing in coaches like Muschamp and bringing back Alums like CRG and CDC that Chizik tried to get numerous times. He'll keep getting a raise and he isn't going anywhere until he does some damage in college IMO. He'll be on top of college football one day. I truly believe that!

Also consider the source. The media in this state would LOVE for Gus to go to the nfl. It makes it easier for their Demi god. They all saw how easy Gus was moving up and down the field on sabans defense. Now with muschamp on board, the writing is plastered all over the wall, the end of his reign in this state is near, and they can't handle it

I don't think he leaves. If he did it would have to be the right fit for his offense. He'll keep getting a raise year after year from Auburn. We have to money to pay him. Especially with him bringing in coaches like Muschamp and bringing back Alums like CRG and CDC that Chizik tried to get numerous times. He'll keep getting a raise and he isn't going anywhere until he does some damage in college IMO. He'll be on top of college football one day. I truly believe that!

He gets an automatic raise of $250K every year of his contract anyway, without even considering any other kind of raise, so that's good. He will make $4.1 million in base salary in 2015. If he adds more accolades, I am sure he will get raises over and above the automatic escalator clause too.

I honestly think we will see the pot sweetened considerably to the $ 5 million level and possibly beyond very soon. Gus loves it here, and will likely finish out a long and ridiculously successful career at Auburn. As bammer starts to fade in a few years, Auburn will become an even more imposing dynasty in the SEC. Folks hate us because we are willing to do whatever it takes done honestly to become the ultimate power in the SEC and universe.

People have called into new York talk radio saying he would be a good hire for the Jets. Clearly not happening but it's good to see that people up north respect him and think highly of our coach

People have called into new York talk radio saying he would be a good hire for the Jets. Clearly not happening but it's good to see that people up north respect him and think highly of our coach

There are bammers in New York also wanting Gus to leave AU. Don't be fooled by this

There is no reason for Gus to leave Auburn. He has no experience to speak of to warrant any NFL team taking a chance on him yet. He has not proved enough on the college level for any "qua;ity " college to offer him more. Sorry, but that is my down to earth opinion. He has just a good coach at the moment with great possibilities....

There is no reason for Gus to leave Auburn. He has no experience to speak of to warrant any NFL team taking a chance on him yet. He has not proved enough on the college level for any "qua;ity " college to offer him more. Sorry, but that is my down to earth opinion. He has just a good coach at the moment with great possibilities....

if you look at what he has done so far and what he has had to work with he is easily a top 3 college draw. That might cost us $ every year or so but i think he likes where he is. Win/win.

I think he is faced with two options: He can move every 2-3 years in the hopes that each move is a step up in whatever he wants (in other words he is more or less successful at each new job.. or, he stays put and establishes a solid record for at least 4 or 5 years before moving.

Someone mentioned Sabin. But Sabin made a name for himself prior to taking the Miami job.

I suppose Gus could make a move quickly and then establish that 4-5 year record at the new job, but why would he not stay and build on what he has already accomplished here? It's not like he doesn't have the tools to succeed right now at AU.

I think we will have him for at least 5 years. Hopefully longer.

Exactly.

Quit worrying about this. Gus is not going anywhere near the NFL. It makes no sense whatsoever to even contemplate this. We will pay him whatever it takes to keep him ultra long-term. Now that Jim Harbaugh has his 8 million per year for the long haul, the NFL is becoming less and less desirable. The NFL is far more difficult being an HC as compared to a great college program. Lets kill this thread and move on to the real world of Auburn football.

There is no reason for Gus to leave Auburn. He has no experience to speak of to warrant any NFL team taking a chance on him yet. He has not proved enough on the college level for any "quality " college to offer him more. Sorry, but that is my down to earth opinion.

That's funny. Deluded, but funny.

Quit worrying about this. Gus is not going anywhere near the NFL. It makes no sense whatsoever to even contemplate this. We will pay him whatever it takes to keep him ultra long-term. Now that Jim Harbaugh has his 8 million per year for the long haul, the NFL is becoming less and less desirable. The NFL is far more difficult being an HC as compared to a great college program. Lets kill this thread and move on to the real world of Auburn football.

We all say college ball is easier. It depends on your perspective. Lots of coaches would like to coach in college but they want nothing to do with recruiting plus all the boosters and hangers on that are always lurking. There are pluses and minuses to both levels. It just depends on the individual. I honestly believe Gus loves the college game and wants to remain here, where he is, for a long time to come.

There is no reason for Gus to leave Auburn. He has no experience to speak of to warrant any NFL team taking a chance on him yet. He has not proved enough on the college level for any "quality " college to offer him more. Sorry, but that is my down to earth opinion.

That's funny. Deluded, but funny.

How is that "deluded"? Gus is an up and rising star in college football, but the Pro's are big business. I bet the above would more or less reflect the thinking of every team owner.

(It's not "funny" either.) Got your homer glasses on.

Archived